WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so I've been in Malaysia for a couple months now, and living like a bit of a nomad. I've spent time skipping everywhere learning to scuba dive and doing my best to transform into a mermaid, and have fallen in love with the place. I'm staying in Pulau Kapas right now, but have vague plans to head back to KL, or Penang next, but nothing definite.

I'm just wondering whether there's any users on here who are in Malaysia, and can help a girl out. Any recommendations on where there's a decent watch seller/shop or two? I've been (mercifully!) distracted for some time away from the growing addiction to buying and flipping watches, but the bug is back and striking hard.

Nothing in particular, except for the fact that dive watches are my kryptonite. New, used, vintage are all okay, I've kept my eyes kinda peeled so far along my travels, but haven't really seen any shops which would tick my boxes.

Anyone know of any?
A thousand thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
...so I've been in Malaysia for a couple months now, and living like a bit of a nomad. I've spent time skipping everywhere learning to scuba dive and doing my best to transform into a mermaid, and have fallen in love with the place. I'm staying in Pulau Kapas right now, but have vague plans to head back to KL, or Penang next, but nothing definite.

I'm just wondering whether there's any users on here who are in Malaysia, and can help a girl out. Any recommendations on where there's a decent watch seller/shop or two? I've been (mercifully!) distracted for some time away from the growing addiction to buying and flipping watches, but the bug is back and striking hard.

Nothing in particular, except for the fact that dive watches are my kryptonite. New, used, vintage are all okay, I've kept my eyes kinda peeled so far along my travels, but haven't really seen any shops which would tick my boxes.

Anyone know of any?
A thousand thanks in advance!!
I was in KL two years ago and it seemed to have more watch stores than any other city I've been in. There are probably other people on the forum with more knowledge of specific shops, but you may want to list brands of interest.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I was watch browsing in KL and there are many watch dealers in the malls. Prices were generally higher than here in Singapore. In fact retail price of certain brands were higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello ellecousteau,

The shopping complexes in the heart of Kuala Lumpur have the usual brands (Omega, Rolex, Tag, etc). Look in Pavilion, KLCC and Star Hill (Star Hill is a high end complex with high end brands).

Look for Red Army Watches in Pavilion. They carry Russian brands such as Poljot and Aviator. Home

If you are looking for bargains, try Sungei Wang and Pertama Complex.

There is an Orient retailer in Pavilion (top floor, Tokyo section). They carry a nice selection. A friend bought an Orient Star and charmed them for a 30% discount.

Caveat:
For most shops (even in Star Hill), ask for a discount. Never pay full price.
Bring a local. Helps with the negotiations :)

·
Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but you may want to list brands of interest.
Nothing too overly high end, I tend to wreck my watches within days, they all live a hard life on my wrist, and I've never quite had the nerve to risk anything which would be a sin to take in the water too hard!

Hello ellecousteau,

The shopping complexes in the heart of Kuala Lumpur have the usual brands (Omega, Rolex, Tag, etc). Look in Pavilion, KLCC and Star Hill (Star Hill is a high end complex with high end brands).

Look for Red Army Watches in Pavilion. They carry Russian brands such as Poljot and Aviator. Home

If you are looking for bargains, try Sungei Wang and Pertama Complex.

There is an Orient retailer in Pavilion (top floor, Tokyo section). They carry a nice selection. A friend bought an Orient Star and charmed them for a 30% discount.

Caveat:
For most shops (even in Star Hill), ask for a discount. Never pay full price.
Bring a local. Helps with the negotiations :)
Thank you for the Russian watch tip, I'll most certainly head there. I've had them on my mind for an age now, so it woud be amazing to be able to see some in the flesh and lurk my way through them. That's been added to the number one spot on my list now, the same as the Orient tip there in Pavillion.
I'll be heading to those first and foremost, and I'm definitely one for the bargaining down negotiations...no luck on the local to take along though, I'm flying solo, so I'll just see how I go!

Thank you so much, this was the exact kind of recommendation I was hoping for :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Elle,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying Malaysia, and what we have to offer !

As already mentioned, there are loads of watch stores here in Malaysia, either KL or Penang too.... or anywhere else for that matter !

As for prices, it depends on what you are looking for, and more importantly, where you are shopping. Expect to pay more in the larger, high-end stores and locations.

Don't let the marked price scare you off, as bargaining is a must ! For most regular watch stores, you can knock off anything between 20% to 40% of the marked price. About 20% is the norm.

Expect the best prices in Sungei Wang or Pertama Complex. I just got a beautiful Seiko Shrouded Monster for 40% off marked price there.

Unfortunately, I don't live in Penang or KL, but there are others on the forum here who do ....

Happy hunting !

Regards,

·
Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you'll find, dear ixan, that you'll be locked in mortal struggle against me for this Bambino!
I had only the slightest knowledge on Orient before your suggestion, and have loved researching them more thoroughly.

Hi Elle,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying Malaysia, and what we have to offer !

As already mentioned, there are loads of watch stores here in Malaysia, either KL or Penang too.... or anywhere else for that matter !

As for prices, it depends on what you are looking for, and more importantly, where you are shopping. Expect to pay more in the larger, high-end stores and locations.

Don't let the marked price scare you off, as bargaining is a must ! For most regular watch stores, you can knock off anything between 20% to 40% of the marked price. About 20% is the norm.

Expect the best prices in Sungei Wang or Pertama Complex. I just got a beautiful Seiko Shrouded Monster for 40% off marked price there.

Unfortunately, I don't live in Penang or KL, but there are others on the forum here who do ....

Happy hunting !

Regards,
And 'enjoying' is probably the most incredible understatement, phlabrooy!
I have loved every minute since I landed. I had only planned to stay a short while, to get some PADI certificates, explore a little and then jump on to a freedive course held in Dahab. But I threw those plans out (or put them on the back-burner) when I started to see this place. I've loved each island I've visited, the people, everything about it all here!
I'm certainly going to have to work on my bargaining skills, but I've started a little list of places to check and shops to see now, and I'll be looking with both eyes wide open for some deals. Vague hopes for some kind of Citizen (the eco drive looks nice), but as ever, Seiko, now the Orient, and the Russian ideas are all nice plots too :p
Thank you so much for the help and suggestions!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think you'll find, dear ixan, that you'll be locked in mortal struggle against me for this Bambino!
I had only the slightest knowledge on Orient before your suggestion, and have loved researching them more thoroughly.

I know a retailer who's willing to sell it at RM500 (USD140) :)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts

And 'enjoying' is probably the most incredible understatement, phlabrooy!
I have loved every minute since I landed. I had only planned to stay a short while, to get some PADI certificates, explore a little and then jump on to a freedive course held in Dahab. But I threw those plans out (or put them on the back-burner) when I started to see this place. I've loved each island I've visited, the people, everything about it all here!
I'm certainly going to have to work on my bargaining skills, but I've started a little list of places to check and shops to see now, and I'll be looking with both eyes wide open for some deals. Vague hopes for some kind of Citizen (the eco drive looks nice), but as ever, Seiko, now the Orient, and the Russian ideas are all nice plots too :p
Thank you so much for the help and suggestions!
HaHaHa !

Glad to be able to offer some assistance to a fellow "watch-nut" !

I think you will find Citizen watches are not that easy to come by here in Malaysia. Most people just by them off the internet, but you can find some around if you really look. Seikos and Orients are readily available everywhere though.

The Russian watches in the place suggested might be a bit expensive though, as they too are not that easy to come by in Malaysia.

Regards,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agreed, phlabrooy. Most of my purchases are online. I've a Citizen Excalibur on the way which was purchased via WUS.

There can be some decent deals found locally though. I mainly go to the local retailers to window shop and try size/weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts