WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys - first post here and first automatic watch I will ever own !

The three watches shown below are my options.

The Fortis B-42 Day / Date:

The Oris Limited edition Hawker Hunter:

Or an IWC Flieger Chrono ( Secondhand ):

I have always wanted an IWC ( Big Pilot - but I will never earn enough $$ for one of those ! ) and I found this one locally for AUD $4400. The other two watches are about AUD $1400

I was sold on the Fortis on Tuesday, the Oris on Wednesday and now the IWC today !!!! What to do ??

I want a pilot watch ( I am a pilot :) ) and I want something that will last a long time. Is the IWC worth the massive price difference ?

I am also into the Bell & Ross square watches but I am a bit unsure of them due to how little time they have been in the watch industry.

Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Personally I think its no question...if you have means

IWC all the way

and I really like Fortis & Oris as well...but its gotta be IWC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife is going to hate you....

:)

I think I secretly knew I was going to end up with an IWC..... I should have run from the shop the day I put a Big Pilot on my wrist !!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
My wife is going to hate you....

:)

I think I secretly knew I was going to end up with an IWC..... I should have run from the shop the day I put a Big Pilot on my wrist !!
*Disclaimer

I take no responsibility for any actions taken by your wife before, during, or after the purchase of a luxury watch.. :-d

BTW welcome to WUS! didn't even notice it was your first post.

G

·
Well first off the IWC is a chrono, the others are not. second the IWC is on a bracelet not a strap like the others. Third, I have seen several variants of that IWC chrono on the sales boards for far less than your quoted price.

I like the IWC as well but I am not sure this is a fair comparison.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Third, I have seen several variants of that IWC chrono on the sales boards for far less than your quoted price.

I like the IWC as well but I am not sure this is a fair comparison.
This is part of my dilemma - I am not 100% sure what this IWC is and how much I should be paying - there aren't many for sale here in Oz. These three watches are all I have found in my home town here in Australia to purchase - I know the IWC is in another league, but these are the three choices !! Forget about the money !!!

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
This is part of my dilemma - I am not 100% sure what this IWC is and how much I should be paying - there aren't many for sale here in Oz. These three watches are all I have found in my home town here in Australia to purchase - I know the IWC is in another league, but these are the three choices !! Forget about the money !!!
OK, well, then, how is it a real question? If you want an IWC, and an IWC is one of the three watches you're considering, and money isn't an issue as between them, then get the IWC.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
If money wasn't an issue, a IWC without a doubt (but not that one - I don't like chronos). Of those, I would go with the Fortis - I love the B-42, a watch that I think of getting somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I'm a bit in the same dilemma... The watch I really want is much more expensive than my current watches and I'm new to the habit of collecting. The problem for me isn't price but sticker shock for such a huge jump in price. My most expensive watch right now is around $250 US, so to jump to a $4,000 Breitling is a little scary...like trading in my '86 Civic for a new BMW.

So after a few months of mulling it over, I've decided to "step up" to watch I want. I just added my third watch to the collection, a slightly fancier slightly more expensive Citizen added to a Casio and a Luminox. Next I'm going to aim for one in the $700-$1000 range (maybe a Stowa or a Marathon automatic). Then I'll make the big jump if I can afford it. If not I'll look at Fortis or Sinn, as I like those styles too.

My thought is I can ramp the collect and (the wife) up slowly and ge to enjoy a number of pieces along the way. As an added bonus it makes my grail a little harder to obtain...

I hope that helps,

Dan

PS if I run into a bunch of money in the next few months I'm jumping straight to the "B" :-!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Hello,

As you know by now, the IWC is a true classic. But unless you had your heart set on a mechanical chronograph watch (from what you write, I don't think you did) then its best not to get one. They are more finicky than a straight time one and will cost ALOT more to service when that eventuality comes.

I wouldn't choose any of the ones you showed. They all contain ETA 2824 based movements; not bad, but they are a real crap shoot in terms of accuracy and long term rate stability. The 2824 is supposedly built for "robustness", or at least that's what you always hear, but accuracy-- not too much-- unless you're willing to spend a considerable amount for a COSC'd watch containing the movement, like a Breitling SuperOcean, etc.

Instead, try looking for a pilot style watch that contains an ETA 2892 automatic movement. Swiss movement watches that contain a 24-hour hand are typically 2892 equipped. Do a google search, but Hamilton, Sinn, and even some of the designer brands like Debaufre, Ocean7, MKII (if you don't mind waiting many months for one), etc. have them at pretty good prices.

Good luck with your search,
heb

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
As the question stands: IWC. (but you knew that :-d)

Opinion:
1) As a pilot, legibility is probably #1, then you need to select the features/attributes you want; lume, day, date, chrono...

2) Don't impulse buy any item worth $4000. :-x The sales corner here and on other websites are facinating and right now it's a buyers market...

·
Registered
41,256 Posts
:roll: Accuracy, all you need to do is have a watchmaker that has the touch.
Hello,

As you know by now, the IWC is a true classic. But unless you had your heart set on a mechanical chronograph watch (from what you write, I don't think you did) then its best not to get one. They are more finicky than a straight time one and will cost ALOT more to service when that eventuality comes.

I wouldn't choose any of the ones you showed. They all contain ETA 2824 based movements; not bad, but they are a real crap shoot in terms of accuracy and long term rate stability. The 2824 is supposedly built for "robustness", or at least that's what you always hear, but accuracy-- not too much-- unless you're willing to spend a considerable amount for a COSC'd watch containing the movement, like a Breitling SuperOcean, etc.

Instead, try looking for a pilot style watch that contains an ETA 2892 automatic movement. Swiss movement watches that contain a 24-hour hand are typically 2892 equipped. Do a google search, but Hamilton, Sinn, and even some of the designer brands like Debaufre, Ocean7, MKII (if you don't mind waiting many months for one), etc. have them at pretty good prices.

Good luck with your search,
heb

G

·
Buy what you want, never settle for something else. You will end up with a watch you don't really like, a yearning for the one you should have bought and a loss of capital with which to buy it.

G

·
i think you are rushing things - at least that's the feel i get from your 3 choices - because they are all over the map. my advice would be to take your time and really think/research your choice out a bit more.
And I agree, I guess this is what I was trying to say in my post.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My vote goes with IWC all the way.

The $4400 AUD price tag equals to about $4000 USD, which is way too much for a that used particular IWC. I would suggest getting the Mark XVI if possible, $3,500 USD is retail which equals to $3800 AUD.

Now I am not sure what the mark up is like in Australia but in the U.S., you can usually get between 20%-25% discount so it is possible to get a brand new IWC Pilot watch for a lot cheaper than you were quoted for with the used Pilot Chrono.

I know your choices are limited but I would imagine an authorized IWC dealer should be able to order you any watch you want from the IWC catalog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My vote goes with IWC all the way.

The $4400 AUD price tag equals to about $4000 USD, which is way too much for a that used particular IWC. I would suggest getting the Mark XVI if possible, $3,500 USD is retail which equals to $3800 AUD.

Now I am not sure what the mark up is like in Australia but in the U.S., you can usually get between 20%-25% discount so it is possible to get a brand new IWC Pilot watch for a lot cheaper than you were quoted for with the used Pilot Chrono.

I know your choices are limited but I would imagine an authorized IWC dealer should be able to order you any watch you want from the IWC catalog.
OK this is a lot more like what I REALLY want....

Thanks for the advice guys...I think I will slow this purchase down a bit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts