WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Hitting this forum as I'm on the fence for the Pilots Chrono Le Petit Prince vs the white dial 150th anniversary edition.

I am making this purchase for my father who is turning 70 next month. He's been using a Sub for the past 32 years and I want to give him another piece he can use to add some spice to his rotation.

https://monochrome-watches.com/iwc-...-150-years-iw377725-sihh-2018-hands-on-price/

I am eyeing the white dialled one as it is a bit dressier and can (potentially) be dressed down with a brown Santoni strap. But I also understand how iconic the Le Petit Prince is.

Are there any reasons to avoid the 150th anniversary version?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,473 Posts
I can't think of any reasons to avoid the 150 Anniversary Edition. I personally have a preference for a brushed/satin finish case on a Pilot's watch. From the picture of the 150 it looks like the case is polished. But I really like the contrast and, therefore, legibility. My 53-year old eyes certainly appreciate it. It is going to be bigger and thicker than the watch he has worn for three decades...will that be an issue for him?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your feedback. He has hinted that he wants a “pilots watch” this time around, so I believe that size will not be an issue for him.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Those are both nice watches! You couldn't go wrong with either one! However, after looking at your signature what I would do is slip that Rolex GMT Master II BLNR off your wrist and onto his and say "Here ya go Dad! Enjoy this pilot's watch!"

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes this would be a great 70th birthday gift in my opinion,your a thoughtful son.The white dial will be a change of pace for the sub he has been using for the past 32 years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I guess i had to go on here as it’s the next best thing to asking him directly! You all have helped me with this decision.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What a great gift! Have you considered a Mark XVIII? It would wear closer to the Sub. At 43mm, both the chronos are substantially bigger and might not fit under a dress cuff. I haven't seen the white dial but the LPP blue is awesome in person though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a great gift! Have you considered a Mark XVIII? It would wear closer to the Sub. At 43mm, both the chronos are substantially bigger and might not fit under a dress cuff. I haven't seen the white dial but the LPP blue is awesome in person though.
I have, but feel that the 3 hander might be a little too boring for him. I have seen the LPP too, and it is a beauty!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, I am very excited to have my kids hand it to him next month! (Barring any issues with covid)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts