WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am seriously thinking of purchasing the IWC Portugieser 7 day pictured below. It's a 5001 model coming from my trusted dealer. I have never owned an IWC before and love the aesthetics of this watch. Can any owners or knowledgeable folks give me some feedback on this model? I have read some reviews that said the earlier versions were poor timekeepers but they may have also upgraded to a 4hz movement at some point which addressed this issue? I am not sure if this is an upgraded model, or if that matters so much? Pics below are for the actual watch.

Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi, Maiden,

I believe the 4hz movement was introduced in 2015, and the one pictured here appears to be older.

There were some notable changes to the movement which I'll point out in the photo below.

The tell-tale sign for me is the smaller IWC logo on the rotor.

In the central area of the movement, closer to the crown, you'll notice a black object; this is the newer, ceramic peloton winding system. Not only is it more durable, it also helps to keep the movement clean as there is no lubrication needed (previous gens were known for that.)

On the left side of the image, you'll notice 2 circular objects (1 peeking through the rotor); these are the revised barrel system (the previous movement had only 1.) This is what's helps to keep the movement more accurate over its predecessor, while also maintaining the 7-day power reserve at the increased frequency of 4hz.

If anyone else knows more on the key differences (or if I've misspoken,) please chime in.

Hope this helps!

Photo credit: ABlogToWatch

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information!

Reactions: AttraWatches
1 - 3 of 3 Posts