WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need some help/suggestions in selecting my next watch. I'm looking for a watch with as many of the following attributes as possible:

1. Perpetual/annual calendar (i.e., date, day of the week and month)
2. Moonphase display
3. Guilloche dial
4. Between about 43mm and 48mm in size
5. Polished stainless steel case
6. Mechanical movement (automatic or hand-wound)
7. Chronograph function would be a major plus, but not absolutely necessary
8. GMT/24-hr hand (i.e., second time zone) would be a big plus, but not absolutely necessary
9. Blue steel hands would be would be very nice, but not necessary
10. Power reserve indicator would be nice, but not necessary
11. Under $5,000 (under $2,500 would be a major plus)

So, basically I'm looking for a watch very similar to the Longines Master Collection L2.673.4.78.3 (link below) or the Limes Pharo Vollkalender Chronograph (link below), but BIGGER (by at least 3mm, it may sound odd, but that 3mm makes all the difference to me). Hopefully I'm not looking for something that doesn't exist.

Any suggestions? Any guidance would be appreciated. Sorry for rambling a bit.

For reference, here are the links to the two watches I mentioned:

http://www.longines.com/watches/the-longines-master-collection/L2.673.4.78.3
http://www.limes-uhren.de/index_EN.php?site=inhalt-Pharo-VOLLCHR-EN#

Thanks for the help!

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,837 Posts
Re: Help/guidance finding a big(-ish) watch, with multiple complications and a guilloche d

check out Armand Nicolet S05 Complete Calendar line... available in both chrono and non-chrono

perfect size 44mm case (w/o crown)

the older models can be bought new off eBay for crazy discounts, well under your $2500 price point |>

the newer ones can be seen here...
new s05 watch, the original swiss watch.

and a quick shot that will make you :p

·
Registered
541 Posts
Re: Help/guidance finding a big(-ish) watch, with multiple complications and a guilloche d

If I'm not badly mistaken, most watches with the functions you are looking for have ETA 7751 inside. So basically the size of the movement and the dial layout will be the same, and the only way to get more diameter is to add empty space to the dial or make the case bigger. In both situations we are moving away from classic and discreet designs (just look at the watch in the second post :p), which also means moving away from guilloche dials.

Is your wrist so big that you really need a watch with that large diameter, or do you just want the watch to have a huge wrist presence? It's just that those watches you mentioned on your post are just gorgeous, and their bezels aren't that thick, which means they'll probably wear larger than you would expect. I can be wrong, of course.

·
Registered
39,476 Posts

Forget the perpetual, unless you look to China.
Hello,

I need some help/suggestions in selecting my next watch. I'm looking for a watch with as many of the following attributes as possible:

1. Perpetual/annual calendar (i.e., date, day of the week and month)
2. Moonphase display
3. Guilloche dial
4. Between about 43mm and 48mm in size
5. Polished stainless steel case
6. Mechanical movement (automatic or hand-wound)
7. Chronograph function would be a major plus, but not absolutely necessary
8. GMT/24-hr hand (i.e., second time zone) would be a big plus, but not absolutely necessary
9. Blue steel hands would be would be very nice, but not necessary
10. Power reserve indicator would be nice, but not necessary
11. Under $5,000 (under $2,500 would be a major plus)

So, basically I'm looking for a watch very similar to the Longines Master Collection L2.673.4.78.3 (link below) or the Limes Pharo Vollkalender Chronograph (link below), but BIGGER (by at least 3mm, it may sound odd, but that 3mm makes all the difference to me). Hopefully I'm not looking for something that doesn't exist.

Any suggestions? Any guidance would be appreciated. Sorry for rambling a bit.

For reference, here are the links to the two watches I mentioned:

L2.673.4.78.3 - The Longines Master Collection - Watchmaking Tradition - Watches - Longines Swiss Watchmakers since 1832
LIMES - Mechanical Watches - Made in Germany | Automatic Watches | Hand Wound Watches | Chronographs | Divers Watches | Ladies Watches

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
253 Posts

Perpetual calendar could easily cost you US$20,000 and above, so you might want to scratch it off the list or up your budget ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

check out Armand Nicolet S05 Complete Calendar line... available in both chrono and non-chrono
Thanks, it's a nice watch, but not quite what I'm looking for. Though in looking around the Armand Nicolet website I really like the TM7 and the LO8, both of which I had never seen before.

If I'm not badly mistaken, most watches with the functions you are looking for have ETA 7751 inside. So basically the size of the movement and the dial layout will be the same, and the only way to get more diameter is to add empty space to the dial or make the case bigger.
I was afraid something like that might be the case.

Is your wrist so big that you really need a watch with that large diameter, or do you just want the watch to have a huge wrist presence?
It is a little bit of both. I've tried the Longines watch on, and it definitely seemed small (of course that could just be psychological). I'm thinking the Limes watch might look bigger on, because of the different style of the lugs, but so far I haven't been able to find one to try on in person.

Perpetual calendar could easily cost you US$20,000 and above, so you might want to scratch it off the list or up your budget
Understood. I'm really just looking for date, day and month. It doesn't have to be perpetual, an annual calendar would be fine, I don't mind correcting it occasionally (e.g., at the end of February).

Thanks for all the input! Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
253 Posts

Omega Aqua Terra Seamaster Annual is probably the cheapest of the bunch, price is around $6000-$7000 brand new. You could get less for second hand which would be within your budget.

23110432206001-20.png

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts