WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone !
Iv'e just started a new addiction (watches) and found myself in the deepend of the pool,
today i was out in the big city of Xi'an and started looking around some of the junk shops to see what i could find and find i did the first shop turned up a rather nice condition ladys shanghai 17 jewels with original bracelett its a 581 serial number but the woman running the shop said it was her grandmothers and wanted 3000 ( $468 usd ) yuan and its box mate was a very very old mens Enicar with lots of numbers and engraving on the back serial no 305-467-776 the dial is a bit worse for wear with some stains and yellowing but when i wound it it burst into life the woman wanted 3500 for this one as well .
I'm sure she is open for some bartering so i told her i would return after i have checked out the numbers.
In the next shop i found three very nice mens shanghai 17 jewels two of them are silver dial and markers and the third one has a gold ring around the outside of the dial and gold markers !the numbers on the back are 1110 and 1120 the guy was asking 900yuan ($ 140 usd ) for all three he also had another Yanan i think it was but it didnt work so i didn't ask the price.
The only problem i have is I don't have any idea what these watches are worth so is there anybody out there that can give me a ballpark figure ? so i can go back and start bartering ,
I know im asking a lot but who knows you have to start somewhere and i must admit i think the shanghai with the gold detail would look nice on my wrist , so now im just sitting here waiting to hear from anyone who can help this poor soul Thanx

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think I have a vague understanding of the watches you are describing and my personal opinion would be to not spend that much money. I think I remember posts where people in the mainland are buying watches in the $10 - $30 USD range.

I would try to find a local market and haggle! Good luck hunting.

Cheers
gigfy

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gigfy !
I actually made a mistake the enicar is actually a roamer and have been to their website and checked the numbers and it seems to be a cica 1966 stingray model or there abouts , it's a pity the dial is not in better shape as the case is good and it does run but to get some kind of value is hard , I will be back that way tomo so i will try and knock them down on price.
thanks for the quick reply . cheers !

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
majikat,

It does seem like many dealers are like that: as soon as someone shows an interest they would think they have something valuable, then think up a terrifyingly high price.

Personally I would make a note of that first dealer and never to return!

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,172 Posts
Hi majikat and WELCOME to the WUS Chinese Mechanical Watch forum!

To check the going "Chinese street price" of any watch you might be thinking of buying, you can use Taobao as a reference, understanding that Taobao prices are generally somewhat higher than street price (although often not that much higher).

To check:

1) find the brand name of the watch you're interested in on this list: AMCH/PR English/Chinese Translations of Watch Related Search Terms

2) copy the Chinese characters (and possibly the model number) into the search at the top of this Taobao page: vintage Chinese watches at Taobao

3) Look for watches that have the same model number, appearance, condition and so on.

Use middle prices as your guide until you become more familiar; high prices are usually wonderful only for the seller, low prices can indicate poor condition and/or other problems. Important: taobao prices are in RMB/yuan...so 100 RMB is about $15.50 USD right now.

Hope this helps!
"be helpful"

·
Registered
548 Posts
For a 581 in top condition and all original I have paid in Shanghai between RMB350-750. Depending on the days of the week, my tiredness and therefore capability to haggle and weather (no joke). What I have found is that you have to bring tools to open the case and compare the movement with reference pictures you might want to bring along. In the easiest case you will find a movement marked SS1 in the 581 which shifts the whole discussion towards RMB100. In other cases where you have an original 581 movement you would need to start comparing the movement and case backs to see whether they match. There is a thread here somewhere with pictures of the four generations of 581s.

As a laowei (old foreigner) who has lived in China for a while I can tell you that all prices in the shop are marked up by 500% the second you step into the shop. Which makes realistic haggeling and price discussions difficult to say the least.

But most importantly have fun in Xian. Terracotta Warriors, City Wall, Pagodas, Kebabs at the Muslim quarters.......

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK thanks a lot guys for all your help and advice here i will take careful note of all this and procced with caution! and keep you up to date with how things turn out CHEERS!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts