WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me more information about this watch? Even some moderate searching hasn't turned up references to a "PB" (presidents' brand?) Vulcain watch (see the "P B" above "VULCAIN" and I haven't seen other instances of the Vulcain logo in black rectangle on a light watch face.
Joe

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,159 Posts
Well, it's certainly..... - noticeable! At least the "Vulcain" font is right. However, the quality of the black rectangle is so bad that I don't believe it to be original. The edges are very fuzzy in places. I'd be interested to know what's inside.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, attached is the view of the open case and it's actually a Paul Breguette (also evidenced by the "PB" on the front). Is it unusual for someone to have screened the "Vulcain" logo under the "PB" (probably obscuring the "Paul Breguette" on the front though not obscuring the "PB")? Any guesses as to date/vintage?

Joe

Well, it's certainly..... - noticeable! At least the "Vulcain" font is right. However, the quality of the black rectangle is so bad that I don't believe it to be original. The edges are very fuzzy in places. I'd be interested to know what's inside.

Hartmut Richter

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks -- so would that likely mean mid-'60s vintage? I don't know what the purpose is of the fake "VULCAIN" label that leaves the "PB" prominently displayed above it.

Joe

The US Import code "PXT" agrees with Paul Breguette which was a subbrand of Ebel, designed for the US market (so nothing to do with Vulcain!). The movement is an ETA 2620:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 2620

That must be the first fake Vulcain I have seen.....

Hartmut Richter

·
19,159 Posts
I'd say your age assessment is correct - early to mid sixties. Why one would turn a subbrand Ebel into a Vulcain, I wouldn't really know either. And I am sure we will never find out.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Hartmut,
I can live with the mystery; at least it can be considered unique.

I see from my own photo of the movement that it seems a screw is missing from the right? Or is that screw not required? Some photos of that same movement online seem to indicate that that screw hole is not always used. Do you know?

Joe

·
19,159 Posts
The screw is optional. In some watches, it would be required; here, it isn't.

The screw holes at the edge (there should be two) are for movement holding screws. If the case is designed so that the movement comes out at the front (the dial is too large to go through the back and the dial can't be separated from the movement without the two having been extracted), the movement is held against the case by two movement holding screws. If the dial can go through the back, there is no point in these - screw them in and the movement still rattles about. In such cases, you use a movement holding ring by which the movement is pushed towards the crystal by the case back once that is in place.

Hartmut Richter

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I wonder if the b
ack print could be removed. It shames the brautiful dial.
Wonderful font on the 3, 6, 9 and 12

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, running fine -- is it really missing?
I believe your vulcain / Paul Breguette mash up watch is indeed authentic.
I just purchased 2 of these from a private collection and this is the information I was given. I hope this helps get us one step closer to figuring them out.
Mine belonged to the grandfather of the person I bought them from. When her grandparents first came to the US in the 60s their first job was at a watch assembly factory in New York on Madison and 5th Ave. They had no experience assembling watches so to learn they were given watches to take home and build as "homework". Her grandparents kept these and other watches they assembled in the factory. This factory assembled watches for Vulcain, Jules Jurgensen, etc...
I know other watches use the Vulcain cricket movement such as Le Jour and Paul Breguette so I assume these may have been assembled in the same factory.
The lady I purchased mine from didn't know which watches were the "homework" watches or regular production watches but knows for a fact her grandfather either partially or fully assembled them while at the factory.
I believe Vulcain was part of a watch group called MSR and their part in the group included assembly so it's possible there were the units given to workers to learn on and it could explain why they would rebadge them rather than keep the Paul Breguette labeling on the dial.
One other watch I purchased was also an oddball. It's dial reads Vulcain remind-o-date. This is a cricket model with a date function at 3:00. I cannot find this model anywhere else but can find nearly identical Le Jour models out there. I don't know of this is another example of rebadging or if these could be test models or prototypes.
Either way I know they were in fact either partially or fully assembled by her grandfather and are 100% authentic.
She provided me with a letter with their names, the general time they worked there and general location of the factory although she didn't know it's name.
I don't think these have a whole lot of value but I feel they are certainly uncommon if not rare and authentic. I hope you didn't alter the dial as another person suggested, mine are in nos condition and won't be touched

·
19,159 Posts
Thanks for the extensive information. If the watches were asembled for Vulcain, they would be considered "private label". The "Paul Breguette" would then be Paul Breguette Watch Co. Inc., located in New York and registered on 4.6. 1957 (www.mikrolisk.de). Interesting that Vulcain, a maker of watches with their own movements, would go private label for some of their products.....

As for the wrist alarm, when I google "Vulcain remind-o-date", I get two very similar watches, one with Vulcain on the dial, the other with LeJour (confirming what you said). Although Vulcain did make wrist alarm movements with dates (Cal. 402 - the famous "Cricket" had the Cal. 120, there was also the Cal. 401 without date and the ladies wrist alarm Cal. 406 for the "Golden Voice"), this one clearly has an Adolf Schild movement inside (Cal. AS 1568).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the extensive information. If the watches were asembled for Vulcain, they would be considered "private label". The "Paul Breguette" would then be Paul Breguette Watch Co. Inc., located in New York and registered on 4.6. 1957 (www.mikrolisk.de). Interesting that Vulcain, a maker of watches with their own movements, would go private label for some of their products.....

As for the wrist alarm, when I google "Vulcain remind-o-date", I get two very similar watches, one with Vulcain on the dial, the other with LeJour (confirming what you said). Although Vulcain did make wrist alarm movements with dates (Cal. 402 - the famous "Cricket" had the Cal. 120, there was also the Cal. 401 without date and the ladies wrist alarm Cal. 406 for the "Golden Voice"), this one clearly has an Adolf Schild movement inside (Cal. AS 1568).

Hartmut Richter
I was going to attempt to take the caseback off the vulcain remind-o-date but didn't see any easy way of taking off the inner piece. I read there is a piece of metal attached to the caseback which the hammer strikes for the alarm and I can see where that is on the outside. Since I wasn't familiar I decided against taking the back off. I couldn't find the vulcain remind-o-date online, could you point me to it. Here is the model I have.
Also bought a nos Jules Jurgensen he had assembled at the same factory. So it appears they assembled several brands there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
19,159 Posts
That is most certainly an Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1568. The Vulcain Cal. 402 has one pusher close to the 4:00 and a crown close to the 2:00 (in reversal of the positions for the famous Cal. 120 "Cricket"). The AS 1475 family (incl. AS 1568, AS 1930 and AS 1931) all have two crowens, slightly inwards from the 2:00 and 4:00 markers. If the two crowns are exactly at those positions, you are dealing with a Ronda wrist alarm.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts