WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking through some old watches that I have and trying to determine what models they are and some other info about them through google, but haven't had much luck. I did keep ending up here so I thought I'd join the forum and see if the experts here will have a look. The first watch is a Seiko I was given as a gift around 17 or 18 years ago, I'll post a picture of the front and back. I think they are pretty readable, but if not let me know and I can type out any numbers that may be too small in the photo. It's a fairly thin and sort of dressy if that helps.

The second watch I'm more interested in. It's a Bulova watch from I believe around 1937-1938 although I'm not positive. My grandfather gave it to me about 15 years ago before he died and I've had it mostly in a safe or jewerly box this whole time. Amazingly it still winds up and keeps accurate time. I'll post a picture of the front and two of the back with the case off. It's hard to make out all the small stuff on the back, but it says 10AN on one piece across the middle, and you can kind of make out in the last picture there is a small crescent moon engraved on the right which I think also has to do with manufacture date. Any and all info about these watches is appreciated.

The third question I have has nothing to do with those other watches, but I'm looking to buy a new watch and thought you all might point me in the right direction. My everyday watch is a Seiko 5, Seiko Men's SNK805 Seiko 5 Automatic Green Canvas Strap Watch: Watches: Amazon.com, to be exact. I have a different strap, but that's it. I'm looking to buy another automatic mechanical watch, but maybe something a little nicer. I've looked at some Seiko, Hamilton, and Bulova watches that seem decent. I'm looking to spend around $200-400 so no luxury watches or anything like that, it will be for daily wear. I like fairly simple watches with time and day/date, although I'm not totally opposed to some other small things that might be added on. Any thoughts on those brands or what other brands you all think I might take a look at in that price range that makes a nice automatic watch? I'm not talking MSRP by the way, some of the ones I'm looking at are in the $800-$900 range, but in reality you can buy them for like $300 through Amazon.

Thanks for any help with the ID and any suggestions for what I might like.

EDIT: Ok this forum doesn't seem to want me to post the pictures, it always says my post is to long. I'm going to try to post them in reply to this opening message. o|

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So no thoughts on either of these, especially the Bulova?

As far what I might buy myself I'm leaning towards Hamilton Watch · King Auto

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Looks like a crescent moon on the movement which would date the Bulova watch to 1928. Get rid of the expansion bracelet which is not original and fit it with a nice leather strap. I'm no Seiko expert but I'd guess that it was made in August 1995.
Make sure you get the Bulova cleaned lubricated and adjusted before any regular use. If you don't want to pay for service right now, put it away until you do. This is critical unless you want to ruin it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Ray. I'm not planning to use the Bulova right now, but I'll be sure to get it in for a checkup before I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts