WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was given what looks like an antique mechanical movement wristwatch.

I was just hoping to find out a little more information about how to use/care for it. I'll post a picture if it helps, but here is some information about it:

* was described as a military watch
* the face bears kind of classic script numerals, minute and hour hand, second hand in a smaller dial inset below
* the face includes the following names "Goela Watch Co.", "Lever 15 Jewels" below and "Roamer" between these messages, and "swiss made" below the second hand dial
* the body appears of two pieces with a single seam along the edge. The back is smooth and bears no markings
* the clasps for the strap are integrated into the lower portion of the body
* it has a neat removable metal guard over the glass face that spring claps to the body
* it is hand wound

I was thinking its either a reproduction, or perhaps a body by Goela with Roamer movement? But since I can find nothing about "Goela" anywhere on the internet, I'm mystified. I mean even if its a reproduction, surely someone else has one?

I see a picture of a 1918 vintage Roamer that looks virtually identical here (Vintage Roamer Watch Site) but mine does not have a hinged back.

At any rate, I really like this watch regardless of the outcome, but would just like some information how to care for it, wind it etc.

Thanks!

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,634 Posts
Oh yes, photos are an absolute must! It sounds as though you have a 'trench watch' as they are often called, but I've never heard of Goela either. Photos of the movement will tell us a lot too.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hello it would seem the Delhi dealer, Dhanamal Goela was importing watches to India from various manufacturers for the rail way..might be possible he did the same during war time. Roamer must have been one of several Swiss company's he dealt with seeing that West-end , and HENRY SANDOZ were a few others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pictures I took tonite. Apologies, I'm a hack with the camera.

Would love to know if anyone has ever seen another, could provide some info or links about the history, or any other useful information (particularly date of manufacture).

Apologies, I was not bold enough to separate the cases; looks like a job for a jeweller or watch expert. I'll take another picture when I can get over to one.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I'll try and find a reputable watch repair nearby and get them to open/inspect it, and I'll get some pictures of the movement.

You'll have to bear with me, may be some few days.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
As soon as I saw the dial I thought 'West End Watch' - a Swiss firm who were big in the Indian market and used that style of dial marking. And a quick google for Goela brought up this The West End Watch Co. vs The Berna Watch Co. on 22 November, 1910 a trademark case from the Bombay High Court - "The West End Watch Co. vs The Berna Watch Co. on 22 November, 1910".

Paragraph 28: The Delhi dealer, Dhanamal Goela, proves many orders (Exs. D. and E.) sent for Bernas to the plaintiffs during 1908, 1909 and 1910, but it is only in the 1910 orders that he shows by ordering Berna-Secular that he is aware of the new name introduced by the plaintiffs in place of Berna.

I would bet my left-over turkey against the present from anybody's cracker that the watch was imported by Mr Goela for sale in India.:-d

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,634 Posts
We would be very interested in photos of the movement and as trim says of the inside of the case back. With those we may well be able to tell you more about the watch, but it is looking very interesting :-!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. I got courageous and after the tip about hermetic, figured out the face just screws off.

My camera does not do a particulary good job but here is what I found inside, as in the image from top to bottom:

* F.B. encircled with a little old fashioned key below
* STERLING SILVER
* SWISS
* 0.935 encircled
* 5 (either underlined or a 1 on its side)
There is also something lightly scratched, as if by hand in the back: 7-01-HA

The movement is hinged on the left hand side and appears enclosed. There is a small stamped "METAL" appearing on the edge of the enclosure.

I will add other pictures if I can find how to open up the movement.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Well, well well. A genuine Borgel semi hermetic case. Unfortunately didn't pass through the UK so didn't get hallmarked. Perhaps David Boettcher has info about the dating of the case. I'll need to see the movement unfortunately (for you, not for me, I'd love to see it :-!).

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,634 Posts
It gets even more interesting! A Borgel case indeed. Perhaps if you can show us photos of what you hinged out the case we could suggest how you get into the movement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, but I may still defer to more capable hands :)

At any rate, the face has some small damage as you can see in the first picture. What is that material the face is made of anyways?

The movement hinges out from the left side and there is a slight seam along the body of it. It might not be clear in the picture. Maybe an exacto blade or something slight would be able to pry it apart?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi fellas,

Here's some pictures of the innards. I prised off the dust cover as you described.

The dust cover bears the mark "PURE NICKEL"

The movement has "15 Jewels SWISS MADE". I think this can be clearly distinguished. Then there is a little needle like thingy that seems to point to what looks like a scale. You cant quite make it out in the picture but it looks like it has the following letters underneath the needle:

F | S
|
A | R
V

That's FS with AR underneath then a kind of arrow through the letters. Hope this helps (me)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
It is indeed an MST175, so dates from sometime in the early 1920s, through to the early 1930s. It's a 15 jewel, gilt plate, very much like this one.

If it has a silver hairspring (looks like it does) that would place it in the early thirties. A blue hairspring would be earlier, but I am afraid - I can't get much more specific without case hallmarks. I need to update some of the dates on my website - including the one in the photo above.

I think it would be safe to say 1930-33(ish).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks very much for the info. That is quite old! I'll take good care of it then.

I was looking at a nice website full of roamer information at Vintage Roamer Watch Site. There is some remark about "avoid Indian specials". Does this mean my Goela is less desirable? At any rate it keeps good time.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Is it just me or does it seem like a pocketwatch put into a wristwatch casing? Moreso than I've ever seen before, that's a really nifty watch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts