WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Hoping someone can shed light on a pocket watch I have. At this point in time I have not yet opened the case back to look at the movement.

The white dial is marked Wm Meyerink & Co. and is a manual wind.

pocket.jpg

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'll let you know what's inside in a bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Can't tell you much just from the face; it's a fairly generic dial; not unlike millions of others created between 1880 and 1930. It looks like an unsunk dial, which normally would indicate a more "economy", but that may depend on how old the watch is. The case (what I can see of it) looks like a reasonably old gold-filled case from pre-1910, but that's a wild guess, really.

If you google "Wm. Meyerink & Co", you get a lot of hits that reference a company that worked out of Hong Kong back at the turn of the century. Here, for instance:
Aviva - About us - Heritage - Countries - Hong Kong

Or this:
1898 (21 May) "Wm. Meyerink & Co., Shanghai" printed envelope to New York (13.6) "per Empress of Japan"... (Total: 1 Item) Stamps

And this link to a auction for a clock featuring "oriental writing":
Vintage J Unghans Carriage Clock w/Musical Alarm German

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
It is a 'private label' watch in which the jeweler (Meyerink) bought the watch from a manufacturer and had their name put on the dial. You can google up the jeweler but we won't be able to tell much without a pic of the movement.

Welcome to Vintage where someone always seem to know something about almost any watch... LOL

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think they were a German company based out of Hong kong during the later 1890- 1900 I have seen watches with chinese on the dial just under the company name, also research shows them in Hongkong during 1890's under their name W.M MEYERINK & CO listed on Chinese manifest as "PEEK" (no Idea) but at least I have found out they are Germans. I would speculate they were importers furnishing watches amongst other things to the Europeans living in Hongkong at the time.
More than this I can't find, someone else probably will.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Good work all!