Discussion Starter #1
Help can anyone shed light on this.
Ex British Army owner?

Much obliged

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

·
Moderator at Large
53,143 Posts
Moved to the more suitable forum. our Image Gallery is for images only.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,209 Posts
Judging by a google search, "Ensign" seems to have been more common as a model name than a brand name. It looks like a 1960s Swiss made automatic watch with a tarnished gold-plated case, mold on the dial and the luminous paint missing from the hands. No particular connection with the British Army so far as I can see. Do you have a photo of the back?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
As the word automatic is written in French, the watch is most likely from the French part of Switzerland and the only company which had been registered in the French speaking region there, using the 'Ensign' brand name, is Record Dreadnought Watch Co. SA, Tramelan-Dessus and La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.

Otherwise, this image shows not much, I wonder if there is a 'made in...' below the 6. Pictures of the back and possible the movement would tell more. So far I am only certain it is a wrist watch.

Dreadnough became Record Dreadnought Watch Co., after the merger with offices in London. Record made official watches for the German and British army, which would be a lead if the watch had been owned by a member of the British Army.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all so far. I ll get a case back and movement picture to the thread!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Case back opened.

Details include a butterfly outline with (AS)
1383N

Case back engraved TSCHUY FRERES

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No that's all the details, couldn't see under the balance wheel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
AS made a bazillion raw movements that other companies would finish, tweak, and case. Some are fancy and now worth good money, like a higher-grade Ebel I wished I still had, or the AS alarm watches.

But for the most part, these movements ended up in solid, modest watches.

Reactions: esdy_11192

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone. I think my other halfs grand father watches are interesting. He was a mid ranking British Army officer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts