WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my Grandfather was killed in a car accident last week and I found two Elgin pocket watches. I believe the first one (first two pictures) is a man's watch while the second (last four pictures) is a woman's. I realize that I need to get to the movements for any valuable info. I will take them by the jeweler tomorrow but I was hoping to get a little bit of a head start so I was at least a bit educated when I take them by. Any help would be appreciated. Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The caseback on the open faced one likely unscrews, so you might not need a jeweler to get to the movement.

For the other one, if you look at the rim of the inner back cover, to the right of the stem, there's likely a lip or inlet that will allow you to get a fingernail under it and open the hinged cover.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, I managed to get them both open just the way you said. The first is a 1925, 21 Jewel BW Raymond. The second is an 1897, 7 Jewel Elgin movement. Where do I go from here as far as valuation and seeing if they work? I tried twisting the "knob" but the watch does not seem to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Your B. W. Raymond is a size 16, 21 jewel grade 478 watch made in approx. 1925. This watch would have been accepted for service on any U.S. railroad at the time of its manufacture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts