WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 15 years ago I was gifted a Baume & Mercier watch by my late great uncle.

On the back of it are the following numbers

I have a letter from Baume & Mercier dated May 24th, 1971 that states the following:

1 gent's wrist watch, whitegold 18ct. engraving on the back, waterproof, automatic, calendar, black leather strap. Complete overhaul of the movement, replacement of the glass.

I have been told today that it will cost approx $100 USD to get it valued here in New Zealand.

My questions are as follows:
1) Does anyone have any further information about this model? Age etc?
2) Is it likely to be worth any real money, justifying the cost of valuation?

Obviously with a service letter from 1971, it is at least 43years old.. but I have no idea about how much older. I would appreciate any assistance.

IMG_0975.jpg
IMG_0977.jpg
IMG_0972.jpg
IMG_0974.jpg

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
$100 just to get it valued? Put those $100 towards a service and hunt ebay for similar watches...their selling price will provide you with an approximate market value.

·
Premium Member
21,596 Posts
The unfortunate reality of most vintage gold watches is that their value lies primarily in the scrap gold price of the gold case. If the watch holds no sentimental value to you, and you just wish to sell it, you'll probably just receive the the scrap value of the case, and you don't need to spend money on a valuation in order to do so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The unfortunate reality of most vintage gold watches is that their value lies primarily in the scrap gold price of the gold case
Im not sure what I am doing at this stage.. I would prefer it stayed intact. It has been living in a drawer for the past 15 years.. It might be time to set it free :)

Is there an online database of models, or anything that might be able to place its age? (I have tried Googling without much luck)

Thanks for the advise so far.

·
Premium Member
21,596 Posts
Im not sure what I am doing at this stage.. I would prefer it stayed intact. It has been living in a drawer for the past 15 years.. It might be time to set it free :)

Is there an online database of models, or anything that might be able to place its age? (I have tried Googling without much luck)

Thanks for the advise so far.
Well, you have an idea of how much you would get for the watch if you sold it (for scrap), and I imagine the only other possibility you should look into is the cost of servicing the watch, as the dial, crystal, and case look like they're still in decent shape.

This is an eBay listing for a Baumatic that is apparently a micro-rotor movement.

Mens Baume Mercier Baumatic Automatic Micro Rotor 18K Solid Gold Watch Blue Dial | eBay

If you could get a photo of the movement within, that would probably give a better idea of whether you could get above the scrap value on the watch.

Another factor is the size of the watch, if it is at least 35mm to 36mm in diameter (not including the crown), then you have better resale value, since that's a size that is still desirable by contemporary standards for a dress watch. Watches that have smaller diameters than that are likely to have a much lower demand.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
On the external aesthetics alone, it looks 1970's to me. The date window, vertically brushed dial, and printed logo are all commonly seen in the 1970's but rare before then. Sentimental value far exceeds the price tag of even the most expensive watches, if it has sentimental value to you then it shouldn't matter what it's material value is. If it has little sentimental value to you,but has an in-house and nicely decorated movement then the watch is worth something more than just the gold content of the case. If it's an average movement from an outside ébauche maker then its value lies in the gold content.

Reactions: Nokie

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
I'd say look for an email address for Baume et Mercier... sometimes the companies will have databases of old models and could help you out.

·
Registered
30,181 Posts
On the external aesthetics alone, it looks 1970's to me. The date window, vertically brushed dial, and printed logo are all commonly seen in the 1970's but rare before then. Sentimental value far exceeds the price tag of even the most expensive watches, if it has sentimental value to you then it shouldn't matter what it's material value is. If it has little sentimental value to you,but has an in-house and nicely decorated movement then the watch is worth something more than just the gold content of the case. If it's an average movement from an outside ébauche maker then its value lies in the gold content.
Nice info.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I emailed B&M a couple of years ago, with a similar question. They came back to me, fairly friendly, with some decent info. Recommend you try likewise:

[email protected]

Send a front and back pic of the watch and all numbers on the watch, and they should be able to provide you some info. Agree with others though, look at the 'bay for something approximating fair market value, once you figure out what the watch was called and how long it was offered in that form.

K

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
And my response from B&M..

"Based on the information you have provided us, we have been able to identify your watch under the category “Other Sports Watches” (technical reference is 3187).
It is a 18K gold piece (from your photos, we consider it to be white gold but both yellow gold and white gold versions were produced).
It is equipped with an automatic movement BM 12800."

"We do not have a specific production date for this piece but this model was produced between 1969-1971."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a baume hampton milleis with mercedes insignia. Can someone tell me whether baume ever make one of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts