WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at 2 different Seastars. Both are manual wind, and I am having trouble finding any info on manual wind seastars let alone these specific ones. They are both from the UK but from different sellers. As you can see from the pictures, they have very clean dials. I am not very experienced in vintage watches and thus have no idea if they are redials or just good condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
s-l1600.jpg s-l1600a.jpg s-l1600as.jpg s-l1600ff.jpg

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice watches. The dials are probably original.

I'm not so sure about the hands, though, and would be curious to hear what others with more Tissot expertise think. They look fresh, new, and black, and the lume looks modern rather than aged.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
No, the dials are not original! Nothing about these watches is original, nor any component of them has ever rolled out of the Tissot factory. They are both "Bombay Specials"- bad quality Indian made fakes, with fake dials (fantasy font) of poor quality, and both are equipped with a movement typical of Bombay Specials, the FHF 96 or its Chinese clone. Crappy finishing, the Tissot engraving looks like it was done with a chisel. No serial numbers either, although with fakes that obvious, that doesn't even matter anymore. That they were sold in the UK, makes no difference- the Bombay fakers have their "sales agents" in Europe, the US, and Canada.

·
Registered
680 Posts
No, the dials are not original! Nothing about these watches is original, nor any component of them has ever rolled out of the Tissot factory. They are both "Bombay Specials"- bad quality Indian made fakes, with fake dials (fantasy font) of poor quality, and both are equipped with a movement typical of Bombay Specials, the FHF 96 or its Chinese clone. Crappy finishing, the Tissot engraving looks like it was done with a chisel. No serial numbers either, although with fakes that obvious, that doesn't even matter anymore. That they were sold in the UK, makes no difference- the Bombay fakers have their "sales agents" in Europe, the US, and Canada.
Now I know why you were able to instantly identify the movement in my father's old Lucien Piccard!

BTW, the first movement is missing a screw on the barrel bridge.... not that the fakers care. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Here is a Tissot I have been working on a few days.

1000311.jpg
Notice that there is no jewel count on the dial and on better brands you almost newer see this on the dial.

1000312.jpg
Tissot made their own movements and one should see the caliber number down under the balance.

1000313.jpg
Also, Tissot put serial numbers on their movements and after 1972 it should be on a round sticker on one of the plates.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Let it be forever known that I hereby know nothing about vintage Tissots. ;-)

Reactions: v8chrono

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
As noted, these are fakes. What's more, I believe that the vendors are actually just UK fronts for Indian watch chop shops. You see the same thing on eBay US, where you get vendors who are fronting up shops churning out restored (sic) stuff from the cheaper parts of the Far East. It's easier to sell into places like the UK and US (et al) if buyers think they are buying from their countrymen, rather than areas replete with fake producers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Where do these chop shops get their movements? Are there piles of old FEF movements out there? I'm sort of morbidly curious.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Some of them are probably from some locally popular watches (and given how big a market India is, when something's popular there, there's a lot of it), but mostly they are Chinese clones, which are probably still in production. That said, I believe that only a fraction of these movements was actually made by FHF.

Reactions: Shum and Paul_S

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
Obvious fake for sure. Tissot never used fhf movements but lemania, eta and their own movements

Reactions: Shum

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
In the end – and not for the fist time – this posting just proves why you should always buy the seller and not the watch. And even then you have to read the feedbacks carefully to tell the crooks from the good guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts