WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello omega forum!
This is my first post in this section, i am just recently getting interested in omega (I should say interested in actually purchasing - I've liked the brand and several models for awhile, but am kind of an omega newbie).

A friend of mine has his grandfathers Omega Automatic. He knows very little about it, and it's old enough that the information is not on the case back. I plan on opening the case to confirm my guess at movement model, but I would also like to know more about the watch model. Because there is so little in the way of markings on the watch, I'm not sure what to search to find anything else out about it.

I came across an eBay listing that looked very similar and had a picture with the case back off. So, my assumption is this is a caliber 550 movement. The only thing on the dial is "omega automatic" and 12-3-6-9 numbers (and of course "Swiss"). The case back indicates that it is 10k gold filled bezel but nothing else on the back either. The strap has been replaced as well. It needs serviced and a new crystal and at least 1 hand is damaged. So I'm taking it to a local watchmaker that came recommended. In the meantime, curiosity has me and I'd like to know if anyone knows more about it. Here is a picture of the dial.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Cant really give any info without more info on the watch itself. If taking it to a watch guy ask him to note down numbers on the inside caseback and movement cal or take pictures. This would of come with leather strap, but those flexo (hair pullers) bracelet were popular in the 70s I think.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks joe - I'll probably remove the case back before taking it in so I can get pictures and numbers. And you are right about the hair removing bracelets - my dad gave me a bag of old watches and 4 had that style on it. And just a quick search for the omega pictured resulted in dozens of twist-o-flex straps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Probably early 60s us made case. Remove the speidel bracelet and don't use it again. They grind away the metal on the lugs. Cal 550 is nice and robust. It'll outlast you if serviced regularly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts