WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I hope someone can help me, I've done my best to identify as many of the marks as possible and have determined that the watch is 9kt (rose gold I believe). But very little or mixed information otherwise. The watch case has the marks "V. W. Co." The clock face has "vickery" with gold gilt numbers. The case also has a hammer hallmark which there seems to be some mystery around. And help in identifying the date or any other marks would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,170 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek! I am sorry but I can't find much on "Vickery". Maybe the case hallmark (V.W. = Vickery Watch?!) is associated with them, otherwise it would be the case maker - in those days, companies often outsourced parts or all of their watch and just assembled the bits. The watch is from the inter-war period or just before and the movement is almost certainly by Gedeon Thommen (nowadays: Revue Thommen) - see Picture 3 here:

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Can you see what is written on the hammer (hammer with handle hallmark)? A number?

It could be an English watch with movements made in Switzerland called Vertex Watch Co. If so, this company had produced one of the famous military watches of the 'Dirty Dozen'.

Vertex was founded in 1916 by Claude Lyons as Vertex Watches Ltd., London, with a Swiss arm Vertex SA in la Chaux-de-Fonds. Pritchard says that in 1920 the company was known as Aureole & Vertex. The company appears to have been created to import watches made by Thommen into Britain; Vertex Revue was listed as a brand of Thommen SA. Movements were stamped "V.W", "V.W.Co." or "VW" within a rectangle.

The Text above was copied from the following web-site (scroll down the page to VW Co. to read more)

I might be totally mistaken, but it could be a lead.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Can you see what is written on the hammer (hammer with handle hallmark)? A number?

It could be an English watch with movements made in Switzerland called Vertex Watch Co. If so, this company had produced one of the famous military watches of the 'Dirty Dozen'.

Vertex was founded in 1916 by Claude Lyons as Vertex Watches Ltd., London, with a Swiss arm Vertex SA in la Chaux-de-Fonds. Pritchard says that in 1920 the company was known as Aureole & Vertex. The company appears to have been created to import watches made by Thommen into Britain; Vertex Revue was listed as a brand of Thommen SA. Movements were stamped "V.W", "V.W.Co." or "VW" within a rectangle.

The Text above was copied from the following web-site (scroll down the page to VW Co. to read more)

I might be totally mistaken, but it could be a lead.
If I had $1 USD for every time you've been "totally mistaken" here on Watchuseek, and I took out my wallet to see what was there, it would be...empty.

Michael.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts