WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this old thing (small mens watch) in a small lot of watches i baught in a auktion and need some help placing it in time.

P6213399.jpg
As you can see it's got some condition issues with the crystal but in general it looks very nice

P6213392.jpg
The dial is nice after all these years (age showes of course) but no branding on it.

P6213386.jpg
Here is the strange part there is no information of the movements origin. There is usally at least the country name stamped like Swiss but nothing at all.

I tried to clean the crystal but it started to smell like earth an spearmint so I stopped. I thought this was a 50's watch but I now think it's older so any idés?

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,623 Posts
Late 1920's through 1930's. The crystals always need changing on these. If you pulled the dial it would almost certainly show the manufacturer - I'm sure that Harmut will leap in here as he usually does with these movements but I'm going to go with A Schild. You might be able to peep under the dial as the markings are often close to the edge.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
+1...late 1920s to early 1930s. As for the movement - I can't help.

Is the case solid gold? For all the wear it doesn't look brassed in the picture.

I like it - nice catch.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Late 1920's through 1930's. The crystals always need changing on these. If you pulled the dial it would almost certainly show the manufacturer - I'm sure that Harmut will leap in here as he usually does with these movements but I'm going to go with A Schild. You might be able to peep under the dial as the markings are often close to the edge.
Thanks that was somthing I didn't know but I can't see any brand so I will have to remove the dial. I don't have a good hand remover so I have to buy a better one so I don't damage the dial.

+1...late 1920s to early 1930s. As for the movement - I can't help.

Is the case solid gold? For all the wear it doesn't look brassed in the picture.

I like it - nice catch.
Sorry only plate but it sure looks great.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Its an interesting looking watch - Dial looks like a clock with the inner 24 hour track

When you take the hands of, put a side from a small thin plastic bag over the dial.
The hand remover will grip underneath the plastic and you won't scratch the (metal) dial

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Am I right in thinking this old silver watch is of the same era?

P6213405.jpg
I thought is was a kids watch at first because of the painted numbers.

P6213409.jpg
No it was a silver watch (First I have seen in real life). That is actually the full adress to the owner of the watch and I bet it was hit pride and joy.

P6213412.jpg
At least it's Swiss made. :)

The engraving on the movement is that a manufacturers name or just some nice artwork?

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Am I right in thinking this old silver watch is of the same era?

View attachment 1129590
I thought is was a kids watch at first because of the painted numbers.

View attachment 1129593
No it was a silver watch (First I have seen in real life).

View attachment 1129596
At least it's Swiss made. :)

The engraving on the movement is that a manufacturers name or just some nice artwork?

Enamel dial (double sunk) so I think earlier than the OP. say 1920s. Engraving indicates (maybe) 23 = 1923 Very nice indeed. That is a good piece

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'd be inclined to say it's in the same 20-30's era as the OP's. This one has unusual dial-screws; not sure if that would be original or not. The crown wheel design reminds me of some Gallet's from that era. I suspect the markings on the movement were added by the owner; they look like they go through the gilding, whereas a makers mark would likely have been added before the gilding.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Enamel dial (double sunk) so I think earlier than the OP. say 1920s. Engraving indicates (maybe) 23 = 1923 Very nice indeed. That is a good piece
Thanks! The 23 is the owners street number so it's his full name and address.

It's a watch I was thinking of having repaired (To scary for me at the moment) so I can use it myself because it's the right size and very coulorful and funky.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Thanks! The 23 is the owners street number so it's his full name and address.

It's a watch I was thinking of having repaired (To scary for me at the moment) so I can use it myself because it's the right size and very coulorful and funky.
Thats a great idea.
I love the cushion shape and the dial is fantastic
Try looking up the address??
Search out the owner.
I still think is a 20s timepiece

Great piece

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Well worth repair for sure...I would think that you could date the case pretty closely based on the silver hallmarks...I don't know anything about Swedish hallmarks, but I would bet that someone does.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
PS
In addition to my post above
That dial and hands are RADIUM.
Be VERY careful not to touch and get any pieces on your fingers -->then in your mouth.
RADIUM even 90 yrs old is very radioactive.

Be very careful
A

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Well worth repair for sure...I would think that you could date the case pretty closely based on the silver hallmarks...I don't know anything about Swedish hallmarks, but I would bet that someone does.
Sadly not
Unlike UK that has both a city mark and a year mark.
I am pretty confident 1920s

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PS
In addition to my post above
That dial and hands are RADIUM.
Be VERY careful not to touch and get any pieces on your fingers -->then in your mouth.
RADIUM even 90 yrs old is very radioactive.

Be very careful
A
Good catch!

I didn't know that and sure enugh all the number light up in the dark but not the hands.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Good catch!

I didn't know that and sure enugh all the number light up in the dark but not the hands.
Well put it this way
"Wash your hands BEFORE you go to the toilet"

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well put it this way
"Wash your hands BEFORE you go to the toilet"
Thankfully I havent opened the dial side of the watch so I should be safe but wonder where the radium on the hands have gone...

Scary stuff this but darn it look amazing in low light.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Thankfully I havent opened the dial side of the watch so I should be safe but wonder where the radium on the hands have gone...

Scary stuff this but darn it look amazing in low light.
You will know when you can see your pea in the dark LOL

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
It lights up? Radium doesn't glow on it's own (well, it does but not very much, and if it's the radium that's glowing, get RID of that watch!!!). It's the phosphor that glows, and phospher breaks down very quickly due to the radioactivity, so most radium watches stopped glowing a decade or two after they were made. So if your watch glows presently, chances are it's been repainted recently.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,623 Posts
I don't know anything about Swedish hallmarks, but I would bet that someone does.
Swedish? :) Swiss bear, so Swiss made most likely with German import marks - I assume that ties in with the address.

I'd agree with Rob, same age range as the previous watch - the cushion shape was much more 1930's than 1920's.

As for the movement I'd say FHF

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It lights up? Radium doesn't glow on it's own (well, it does but not very much, and if it's the radium that's glowing, get RID of that watch!!!). It's the phosphor that glows, and phospher breaks down very quickly due to the radioactivity, so most radium watches stopped glowing a decade or two after they were made. So if your watch glows presently, chances are it's been repainted recently.
After some time in darkness it stopped glowing so it's not radium.

Swedish?
Swiss bear, so Swiss made most likely with German import marks - I assume that ties in with the address.

I'd agree with Rob, same age range as the previous watch - the cushion shape was much more 1930's than 1920's.

As for the movement I'd say FHF
Yes Germany was the main trading country for Sweden back then. So a watch made in Switzerland imported to Germany then exportet to Sweden is very plausible. Did Germany use 24 hour dials like we in Sweden used up into the 60's?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts