WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had a look through the advanced side of the Ranfft database and haven't had any luck in finding this Gallet movement. It is a size 10/0 or 9 3/4''' or 21.77mm. 15J, 4 adj. Serial number is 297453. It's in a Niello case, which is .935, with Swiss hallmarks. As it is .935 rather than .925, this suggests that the watch and case are fairly early, predating the 'sterling silver' standard.

Anyone with any wisdom on this movement?

Thanks.

_MDH0005.jpg

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
I believe Sterling was an English standard which Continental and even Americans did not follow. So I would not think the higher silver content is a useful dating mechanism for this Continental watch.

Beyond that I can offer no specific help. But others might! :)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Except that the full hallmarks in the (unseen here) case back are of the Swiss "ours rampant", which strongly suggests production before 1933.
(From Vintage Watch Straps http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/casemarks.html):

'Between 1880 and 1933 the Swiss hallmarks for silver were a either a "bear rampant", a bear standing on its hind legs, or a grouse. The bear mark indicates that the metal is silver above 0.875 (87.5%) silver content, and the grouse that the metal is above 0.800 (80%) silver content. Note that the bear and grouse symbols indicate the minimum, not the actual, purity of the metal. Neither of these levels of purity meets the UK minimum standard of Sterling (925 or 92.5% silver content) for silver, so items with these levels of silver content in the metal could not be hallmarked or legally sold in the UK so a higher standard of 0.935 was used by Swiss manufacturers to comply with the British legal minimum of sterling 0.925.

The Swiss law was changed in 1933 and a silver standard of 0.925, the same as British sterling, was introduced, identified by a symbol of a duck. The bear and the 0.875 standard were discontinued, although the grouse continued for silver of 0.800.'

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I believe its an early Electa Movement.

You should write to Gallet, they can give you better details on the caliber etc, my guess about 1913/14

Its a lovely shape, please post dial/face pictures
Regards

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Adam
Here you go. Niello case in pretty good condition. The dial is original, of course. Blued hands. Bought it for a very low price as it had a broken winding gear, which I was able to source and replace; fully serviced and keeps time nicely, too. A truly pleasurable purchase. The seller said he thought it was c 1910, but...
I will write to Gallet and see what they say; they didn't answer the first time I wrote to them, though.

_MDH6541.jpg _MDH0015.jpg _MDH0003.jpg

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Fantastic and valuable piece, yes 1910 is possible but a little early I think, who knows, not even Gallet?

I have some pictures of a very similar Gallet now in the Museum at La Chaux De-Fonds

If no response from Gallet you can email me the pictures and I can contact them

My mail is
adam007 @ gmail.com

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Certainly an interesting watch, I like that it has 4 adjustments. I can't add to the identification, as this time period is well before where my interest starts picking up. That crown looks to be a replacement, which wouldn't be unusual.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Y'know, I think you're right about that! I just went to David Boettcher's website at Vintage Watch Straps - Straps and Bands for Vintage Wristwatches and found a really interesting piece on Gallet / Electa. It seems to me that there is more than a passing resemblance between my movement and the movements he shows there. Thanks for the Electa lead.

/
I believe its an early Electa Movement.

You should write to Gallet, they can give you better details on the caliber etc, my guess about 1913/14

Its a lovely shape, please post dial/face pictures
Regards

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Y'know, I think you're right about that! I just went to David Boettcher's website at Vintage Watch Straps - Straps and Bands for Vintage Wristwatches and found a really interesting piece on Gallet / Electa. It seems to me that there is more than a passing resemblance between my movement and the movements he shows there. Thanks for the Electa lead.

/
No problem
Surely Electa movement which is of course Gallet.
I think crown is original, it is certainly correct style.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Here you go, an early Gallet a 'bit' like yours. In the Museum in La Chaux De Fonds

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hey Habitant! Do you have any updates? I have an Electa with the same Gallet movement. It looks like someone tried to scratch off the “Electa” on the dial but it’s barely visible. Mine is also in a .935 silver case. I’m hoping for it to be from the teens :) Here’s some photos of mine.

Thanks!
Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts