WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't have a chance to see a jeweler for a few days. I added this request to another post but if figured I would post again with a more appropriate title. Is anyone familiar with this style?

Thanks for looking

Mannal

Full_chain_2.jpg

close_clasp.jpg

close_clasp_2.jpg

close_pin.jpg

·
Registered
13,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Simple Albert showed up in my earlier searches. I'm trying to figure out why one jeweler was more interested in the chain then my watch (1909'ish C.D. Peacock). I hope to get to my local jeweler tomorrow. They should be able to tell me what the material is.

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Looks gold plated

Reactions: SilkeN

·
Registered
82 Posts
Definitely looks gold filled given the wear pattern and quite worn at that. The screw down safety clasp is interesting. These are hard to find and some collectors really like them. I suspect it is not original to the chain, however, as the gold coloration looks different. I don't see the same wear on the clasp as on the rest of the chain, so that could be solid gold. On the other hand, I would have expected it to be marked 14K if it were solid.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, did anyone guess brass? Looks like the chain is brass and the best-guess is gold-filled for the clasp.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Well, did anyone guess brass? Looks like the chain is brass and the best-guess is gold-filled for the clasp.
I only looked at the clasp and it appeared GF

·
Registered
82 Posts
If that's what your jeweler said, I would find another jeweler. Clearly the chain is (was) gold filled although significant portions have been worn through to the brass layer. Take a look at your original photo of the T-bar and end of the chain and you can still see some of the gold layer.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that's what your jeweler said, I would find another jeweler. Clearly the chain is (was) gold filled although significant portions have been worn through to the brass layer. Take a look at your original photo of the T-bar and end of the chain and you can still see some of the gold layer.
I'm being told that there was gold layered on the brass.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your chain is either gold plated or gold filled. Hard to tell which at this point in its life. In either case, yes, there is (was) a layer of gold over the brass. In the plated case, the gold is deposited by using an electrical charge in a bath. In the gold filled case, it is a mechanical process which bonds a layer of gold to the brass with extreme pressure. Same result - a layer of gold over a base metal. Gold fill usually results in a thicker layer of gold.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for trying to help. The chain is back on the watch, where it will remain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts