WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Recently I've received a watch from a relative. And I'm unable to find any kind of information for this very specific model, regardless I've spent several hours on research.

vkxw5.jpg

It's a Zenith Captain with a 2532PC Chronometre movement inside, which was the best of the best from Zenith.
Production time for that movement was from 1960 to 1964.

That's all i know. So if anyone could shed some light to this, that would be very apreciated.

It may be a rare model, perhaps?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Does it have a case number on the back?

Are you actually sure that the movement is signed 'chronometer' ?

Do you know the movement number?

Could you provide some close-ups of the dial?

Do you also have pictures of the inside of the case (which should be signed by Zenith, possibly with a patent number as well).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it have a case number on the back?

Yes. It follows the XXXAXXX format, whereas X are numbers and A is the actual letter.
AFAIK, this format was introduced in 1963. And the A indicates that it comes, probably, from 63-64.

Yes, on the rotor.

Yes. First 2 numbers are 56.

Not now, since I'm not at home currently. Sorry for that.

Do you also have pictures of the inside of the case (which should be signed by Zenith, possibly with a patent number as well).

I do. Anyway there are no serials engraved inside. Just the Zenith sign in the middle-upside , 18k/0.75 gold mark downside, and a diamond-shapped sign with a 26 on his right.

Sadly the forum doesn't allow me to post more pictures for now.
Thanks for your help and your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
The serial starting with 56 would be for 1964, according to the chart available on the Internets.

For what it's worth, the watch is a chronometer, but it's not a COSC-certified one. That's because COSC was founded in 1973, a year short of a decade after this watch was made. That said, it was certified by another chronometer testing institution- dunno which one, possibly the Neuchatel Observatory.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Yes. It follows the XXXAXXX format, whereas X are numbers and A is the actual letter.
AFAIK, this format was introduced in 1963. And the A indicates that it comes, probably, from 63-64.

Yes, on the rotor.

I do. Anyway there are no serials engraved inside. Just the Zenith sign in the middle-upside , 18k/0.75 gold mark downside, and a diamond-shapped sign with a 26 on his right.

The serial starting with 56 would be for 1964, according to the chart available on the Internets.

For what it's worth, the watch is a chronometer, but it's not a COSC-certified one. That's because COSC was founded in 1973, a year short of a decade after this watch was made. That said, it was certified by another chronometer testing institution- dunno which one, possibly the Neuchatel Observatory.
Just to add to mkws's great reply, the watch was certified by one of the Bureaux officiels de contrôle de la marche des montres (BO) which preceded COSC. Just like COSC today, the BOs conducted large scale testing of watches intended for public sale. The observatories focused instead on the testing of specially made competition chronometers, not generally intended to be sold to the public.

Here is a good example of a wristwatch movement made for observatory trials by Zenith (caliber 135 - equipped with a Guillaume balance) tested at the Neuchatel observatory:

Wrist watches - antique pocket watches, wrist watches, chronometers and clocks Terence Howells Basel timeless antiques

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
It looks like you have an original Zenith (except the crown) however it is a rare model.

Movement serial 56xxxxx dates it ca. 1963/64.

Sometimes movements were cased only years later.

Case number xxxAxxx can be anywhere from 1963 until 1966. Perhaps you could be a little more specific.

26 is the code for Swiss case maker Ponti, Gennari & Cie

Yes, on the rotor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It looks like you have an original Zenith (except the crown) however it is a rare model.

Movement serial 56xxxxx dates it ca. 1963/64.

Sometimes movements were cased only years later.

Case number xxxAxxx can be anywhere from 1963 until 1966. Perhaps you could be a little more specific.

26 is the code for Swiss case maker Ponti, Gennari & Cie
Wow, nice info. I'm afraid of showing serials, as I've seen many people hiding them ...

I just sent you a PM

Greetings!

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
That's interesting, that's close in range to a couple of Zenith 2000 watches (chronometers with the famous cal 135) with case number 284Axxx. One of them is owned by forum member Hessu and has a case engraving from 1966. Still production date is probably ca. 1964.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts