WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited this watch from my grandfather (norway). i have no info about the watch, no brand and i find no maker/serial no on the movement. there is a serial in casing (19637), but as i understand this is not of much help. After some googleing i see that the movement is quite similar to IWC calibre 65, but not exactly the same.

Any info narrowing in to which maker/year would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,987 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek and Merry Christmas on your first posting. The movement is definitely Swiss but is of a nature that was very common in the late 19th century. Your watch is very likely from the early 20th century and possibly already inter-war (crown wound and set, dial style) so the movement style is somewhat anachronistic. I doubt that it is by IWC since it would then be marked in some way.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Watchuseek and Merry Christmas on your first posting. The movement is definitely Swiss but is of a nature that was very common in the late 19th century. Your watch is very likely from the early 20th century and possibly already inter-war (crown wound and set, dial style) so the movement style is somewhat anachronistic. I doubt that it is by IWC since it would then be marked in some way.

Hartmut Richter
Thanks and merry christmas. now i know a little more about this watch.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,987 Posts
Re: Fontainemelon 2124

Thanks for helping out, cellar. To elaborate: the movement was made by the generic movement maker FHF (Fabrique d'Horlogerie, Fontainemelon). The practice of using generic movements rather than your own was and is widespread in the watch industry, FHF being a maker of higher grade movements.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Fontainemelon 2124

this is really interesting! ill keep digging to find out more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts