WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,
If you are reading this thanks for your willingness to help! The watch was my great-grandfather's and I was told he got it in Germany during the war. It has the words:
A. Dalinghoff
SENDEN I/W.

on the face. It does show a lot of use on it, and does not appear to work right now. Any idea of what this watch's history may be? Thanks for any help, pics included.

~Holton

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Looks like a private label or a small English company watch? Hard to tell much about it without seeing the movement. One thing's for sure: it has a replacement crown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually figured a lot out by myself with a little research. It is a Swiss/German watch. It has .800 on the crown indicating i believe means that it is 80% silver. It has the Swiss Grouse symbol for exported silver. It is also Galonne, or pink gold layered on the Silver.

I believe that it bears one of the trademarks of Richard Vogt et Cie, a watch dealer based in Biel on the movement. The movement I believe is a cylinder escapement with a nail/pin set. The movement I believe is a 10 jewel Cylinder escapement.

A. Dalinghoff was, and is, a watch seller based in Senden, Germany.

With all of this it appears the watch could be dated as early as 1880 to 1920.

And in the midst of all my research I actually managed to get it running again just tinkering with the movement. Lucky me! Well I guess my mystery is solved.

~Holton

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,007 Posts
All that I migh add is that this is a typical way for German watchmakers to sign their watches. Even now, Lange & Söhne sign their watches "Glashütte i/Sa" which means "Glashütte in Sachsen" (in Saxony). "Senden i/W" therefore means "Senden in Westfalen" (in Westphalia).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
Good info! I'd still get it COA'ed if you are going to keep winding it.

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
We will need a movement pic to say anything beyond 'looks nice!' :)

Don't use the flash when you take pics. They will come out better.

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
That is an interesting regulator. I've not seen it before... but I am sure the experts here have.

This looks like an early 20th century movement to me. I can not make out the one symbol on the bridge. It might give clues as to the maker.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
No - its our policy not to give valuations in this forum. There are stickies explaining why and Watchuseek's rule 16. Sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts