WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
The early 1960s is definitely not the period this watch was made in. No, that's late 1940s, given the looks, and the lack of a shock device. No results for Loral in Mikrolisk... Private label brand?

Reactions: SwedishBloke

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The early 1960s is definitely not the period this watch was made in. No, that's late 1940s, given the looks, and the lack of a shock device. No results for Loral in Mikrolisk... Private label brand?
Agree. The use of case screws to secure the movement, and back-accessed knife-edge dial screws are both older design features that you don't see often in post-war watches. Now I'm curious about the Cuppilard factories, and what happened to them during the war itself. I believe their main factory was in Besançon, France, which was part of the German Occupation zone as of 1940. One wonders if the factory continued to operate, or were inactive until after the war?

At any rate, Cupillard was one of the founders of French Ebauche (and this movement became the FE-233) in 1965.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, I bought the watch from a french guy, so a French watch would not be a bad guess.
Paid €20, bargain or waste of money? Movement is working.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Bargain or waste is a personal thing
For me it would be waste but for someone collecting french pieces it could be a treasure :)

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
For 20 euro? Well, that's quite good- the movement looks fine, the dial too- it just needs a new crystal, and a movement service. Not a waste of money in my opinion.

Reactions: SwedishBloke

·
Registered
584 Posts
Well it certainly isn't a bargain but not a waste of money either. The watch needs a service, case is in a bad condition, hands have lost most of their lumen, needs a new crystal. I don't know if you want to pay to get this fixed but I wouldn't, I'm sorry to say. Might be a different story if you could restore and service it yourself.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The flaking lume is a big concern, both because you don't know if it's radioactive, and because all that material went somewhere; somewhere being the inside of the watch movement, where it will grind away at the pivots if you attempt to use the watch without having it fully serviced.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Well, since it's definitely from before 1960, it's more than likely that it's radium lume- that said, there's a little Chernobyl in there. It's generally a nice watch, and though the repair costs will not be returned should you decide to sell it, if you like it and simply want to wear it, well, then I'd say go ahead and have it serviced.
Quite on the contrary to the rest, I'm more optimistic about this one, and would encourage you to repair it and wear it. French watches are not receiving as much attention as they should- they're nice pieces with decent movements, and definitely I'd like to own a LIP or a LOV (Lac-ou-Villers). As a matter of fact, the latter used the same movements as your watch (Cupillard).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for valuable input!
I think I will have a shot at restoring it (at least the glass replaced and a service).
The reason I bought it was to wear it, not the economical value.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts