Votes: 2 4.0%
  • SARY057 (kanji days)

Votes: 11 22.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I believe all of you at some point in time have had the same problem I am going through now. Firstly, this is going to be my first automatic watch so i would like to stick to a relatively low budget and the JDM watches appeal to me for the unique factor. I am split between the sarb033, sary053 and sary057.

Everyone is familiar with what a great watch the sarb033 is, but for me the only gripe I have is that at 38mm, I feel it is a tad too small.

Another contender is the sary053, which is an open heart design. I love the open heart as to me it differentiates between automatic movements and quartz, and I love looking at the stuff move. However, I am not sure if it is seen is gimmicky or whether it is only interesting to look at initially, and I will not enjoy it after awhile. is there anyone who initially loved open hearts and soon got bored of them here?

The third watch I am considering is the sary053. what attracted me to this watch is how unique the JDM piece is, given that the day is in kanji/english. definitely obvious it is not an international model.

Quality and movement wise I know the sarb033 outperforms the two and has lume (not a big deal to me). especially in terms of the bracelet in which I have had the chance to see the international version of the SARYs in a retail store. The clasp is stamped as compared to the solid ones on the sarb. but design and looks wise, I feel the two SARY models are alot sweeter, and I am leaning more towards the open heart. The SARB is around USD$50 more than these two models.

Really appreciate any opinions!

t111521_01.jpg
SARY053

null_zps5c3d626e.jpg
SARY057 (photo is from a fellow member here)

s_sarb033j_1024x1024.jpeg
SARB033

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not a fan of the open heart dial. I just recently purchased the sarb033 and I love it. I didn't know about the 057. If I had to choose again I would probably go for the sarb again. Not sure why though.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think the open heart is very cheesy. It makes the watch look like a cheapo chinese tourbillion imitation. This is just my opinion, some people like them. I would definitely go with the SARB. You just can't beat the quality for the price. You won't be disappointed.

The size of the SARB wears great as long as your wrist isn't larger than 7.5-8". It also has a clear/ exhibition caseback, so you will be able to see the full movement operate, which you mentioned was important.

Here is a picture of the 6r15 movement in my 035.

Attachments

Reactions: Nudgedoink

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys! pretty strong support for SARB!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the open heart is very cheesy. It makes the watch look like a cheapo chinese tourbillion imitation. I would definitely go with the SARB. You just can't beat the quality for the price. You won't be disappointed.

The size of the SARB wears great as long as your wrist isn't larger than 7.5-8". It also has a clear/ exhibition caseback, so you will be able to see the full movement operate, which you mentioned was important.
yes, viewing the movement is important for me. As someone who's new to automatics, what makes them tick is really intriguing to me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think the open heart is very cheesy. It makes the watch look like a cheapo chinese tourbillion imitation. I would definitely go with the SARB. You just can't beat the quality for the price. You won't be disappointed.

yes, viewing the movement is important for me. As someone who's new to automatics, what makes them tick is really intriguing to me.
That is the reason most of us are so obsessed with this hobby. The idea that you are wearing a tiny machine that is fine tuned to keep accurate time, and is powered by the movement of your wrist is very cool.
I added a picture on my post above of the 6r15 movement, and exhibition case back. It is the exact watch as the SARB033, just a white dial. (SARB035)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
SARBs are amazing. Not a fan of the open heart or the day wheel. Looks like those 2 belong in the Seiko5 line.
IMG_20150516_28857.jpg

·
Registered
538 Posts
Since we are posting pics of our SARBs here is mine. It is in the same league as 1-1500 $ swiss counterparts.
Everything about it is quality. I couldn't be happier with mine.

BTW, my wrist is like 6.8", so that is how it looks on a wrist around 7" ish.

Attachments

Reactions: Nudgedoink

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SARBs are amazing. Not a fan of the open heart or the day wheel. Looks like those 2 belong in the Seiko5 line.
View attachment 4009058
hey! u have exactly same wrist type as me. with the bony bit at the end. the sarb035 looks great too!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey op: what's your wrist size? As others have said, SARB wears fine on wrists up to bout 7 1/2. Love mine on my 7 in. wrist.
not sure what's my wrist size but it's definitely small.. since I'm asian (Singapore). I guess I'm just used to the usual 40-something millimeter quartz watches lol

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I'd take the Sarb 033, but if you like open heart designs, I think the Sary053 is a nice choice.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've said this before but I just don't subscribe to the wrist size vs watch size thing. It makes it sound like there is some objective of covering one's paw entirely, because... ... .. because no skin should be seen there or something. I don't get it. Yes, wrist size matters: for the size of the strap. But I don't understand why a watch must cover some sort of target percentage of skin. When did that start? And I own very big watches and very small; happy to wear either.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Since this is going to be your first automatic, I would go with a simple three-hander and get an open heart down the road. I can't speak of the SARY057 as I haven't handled it in person. Looks nice though. I thought about getting it once.

The SARB033/035 are very nice watches. They kind of look bland in pics, but look and feel much nicer in person. No single online pic doesn't do them justice. I have a 033. A gloss ink black dial w/shiny long hands and indices is mesmerizing and in sunlight it has a dark brown sheen to it.

Reactions: hantms

·
Premium Member
71,464 Posts
I voted for the SARB (no surprises there). I've often wondered how poeple with big wrists coped with the bracelet as is always struck me as a bit on the short side. But I had to take several links out of my 035 for my 6.75" wrist.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd take the Sarb 033, but if you like open heart designs, I think the Sary053 is a nice choice.
Yea I like open heart but the quality of the sary series having handled it first hand, was good but not impressive. Still in a dilemma!

I've said this before but I just don't subscribe to the wrist size vs watch size thing. It makes it sound like there is some objective of covering one's paw entirely, because... ... .. because no skin should be seen there or something. I don't get it. Yes, wrist size matters: for the size of the strap. But I don't understand why a watch must cover some sort of target percentage of skin. When did that start? And I own very big watches and very small; happy to wear either.
I doubt there is a criteria for how big in that sense. Its more because we are used to a larger face. Since most cheap quartz watches everyone starts with are large.

Since this is going to be your first automatic, I would go with a simple three-hander and get an open heart down the road. I can't speak of the SARY057 as I haven't handled it in person. Looks nice though. I thought about getting it once.

The SARB033/035 are very nice watches. They kind of look bland in pics, but look and feel much nicer in person. No single online pic doesn't do them justice. I have a 033. A gloss ink black dial w/shiny long hands and indices is mesmerizing and in sunlight it has a dark brown sheen to it.

Really wish I could see the sarb in person! Hard to imagine how the quality will feel from pictures on a computer screen

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Never knew about that Kanji days watch, interesting. If i'd known a few months back it would have rivaled my choice when I got my SARB. I've always wanted a Kanji day Seiko. BUT, the size and feel of the SARB is perfect. =)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
oh this is an easy one!
sadly I sold it to buy the 035, but every time I see a 033 I feel like is a matter of time for me to have one again!
7 1/4 wrist
_DSC7201-001.jpg

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
It's hard to beat the SARB, but I voted SARY057 because of the ultra cool kanji day wheel. I have one (pic'd in op) and really still enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts