WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be grateful if anyone could assist me in identifying this Timex model.

What I do know:
  • Belonged to my grandfather who made the strap himself from what appears to be sheet metal. (It is actually kind of comfortable to wear)
  • It is a manual wind model.
  • If I recall correctly from when I popped the back off a few years ago the back cover had, "cover made in Britain" stamped on it.
  • "Water Resistant" is printed on the face.
There are very few pictures of my grandfather from his days in the SeaBees during WWII. The few that I do have show him wearing a watch but I can't make out if it is the one above. I'm hoping to at least date the watch or narrow down the range.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be grateful if anyone could assist me in identifying this Timex model.

What I do know:
  • Belonged to my grandfather who made the strap himself from what appears to be sheet metal. (It is actually kind of comfortable to wear)
  • It is a manual wind model.
  • If I recall correctly from when I popped the back off a few years ago the back cover had, "cover made in Britain" stamped on it.
  • "Water Resistant" is printed on the face.
There are very few pictures of my grandfather from his days in the SeaBees during WWII. The few that I do have show him wearing a watch but I can't make out if it is the one above. I'm hoping to at least date the watch or narrow down the range.

Many thanks.

The watch looks exactly like a Timex I bought in 1974. Wore it until it wore out 15 years later.:-! So, I'm sure it's a mid-seventies Timex. By the way, the Timex brand, AFAIK, did not appear until the early 1950s. So, the watch couldn't date from WWII.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks. This makes sense. The strap I'm certain predates the watch as it is the only thing I can make out in the photos. He worked as a Steamfitter for many years after the war and was VERY hard on watches and watch straps.

Thanks again for the info!

The watch looks exactly like a Timex I bought in 1974. Wore it until it wore out 15 years later.:-! So, I'm sure it's a mid-seventies Timex. By the way, the Timex brand, AFAIK, did not appear until the early 1950s. So, the watch couldn't date from WWII.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It's a Timex Mercury model. I'm not certain of the model number. It was very popular in the 60's and, depending on condition, it's quite a collectors item.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts