WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just found this site and it seems like a perfect place to put this. This watch was my great grandfathers and is from around 1930's-1950's I believe, although I know pretty much nothing else about it. It also has a 14k Tiffany & Co band with his initials engraved in it. Does anyone know where I could find more info on this watch/ how much it is worth? Any help would be much appreciated.

The Watch: imgur: the simple image sharer

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Doesn't really look that old. We'd need to see the movement to tell you much, but its a basic watch with a rather extensive triple date + moonphase modification. That's all dial-side stuff. If I had to guess, I'd say 80's or 90's. Honestly isn't that much that can be gleaned from just a dial shot though.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I think it's probably a '40s watch, but others will know more. There's a good group of UG enthusiasts on Omegaforums.net, who you might ask for help, if nothing comes of your thread here.

Here's a UG ad from the late '30s for your enjoyment.

Universal Geneve Ad late 1930s.jpg

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Probably from the 40's or 50's, maybe as late as the early 60's. Lots of these types around by various makers. This is certainly a nice watch in pretty good shape. AFA the value, I doubt that it's worth what the EBay seller is asking. There is no telling how many of these old gold watches were scrapped and the cases and bracelets or buckles melted down for scrap. Terrible waste, but then again no one wanted those old broken watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
18,178 Posts
At the best, the OP's (Original Poster) watch is a redial with replacement hands. More data is necessary to say if this is the limit of the bad news.

Folks new to collection should be cautioned about drawing conclusions as to the worth of watches from eBay buy-it-now with best offer accepted listings. Generally they are all overpriced... though few are as grossly overpriced as the cited piece. Completed listings are a much better guide... but do remember eBay would make PT Barnum proud :-d

Reactions: DragonDan

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think it's probably a '40s watch, but others will know more. There's a good group of UG enthusiasts on Omegaforums.net, who you might ask for help, if nothing comes of your thread here.

Here's a UG ad from the late '30s for your enjoyment.

View attachment 1617510
This advertisement is more late 50's early 60''s Clothing. Airplane looks like a Lockheed Super Constellation in service at that time with Air France. supercon2.jpg

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The problem (these days) is that the Chinese have about a dozen different models that support this type of display available for under $20 a pop, so I wouldn't go anywhere near one of these without a movement pic.

·
Registered
18,178 Posts
This advertisement is more late 50's early 60''s Clothing. Airplane looks like a Lockheed Super Constellation in service at that time with Air France. View attachment 1622472
Amazing that you have the same perspective in the pic as in the advert... That must have taken some searching! :-!

I believe most Connies were out of mainline service by 1965.

The last user I knew of was Eastern which used them on the LGA-BOS hourly shuttle service. The shuttle service guaranteed you a seat. If the on-the-hour flight was full they rolled out another plane and it departed 20-min-after-the-hour (even if only one Pax was on-board!). If that plane filled they rolled out a third plane and it departed 40-min-after-the-hour. In 1967 Connies were Eastern's 40 min planes... You really can't appreciate how nice jets are until you fly one of these 4 engine piston planes :-d

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Interesting! I guess the website that told me it was from the '30s wasn't correct after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
The Aero-Compax was not made before the early 1940s, so that is the earliest possible date for the ad. I would date it to the 1940's (the advertisement that is). The calendar watch that started this post was made from 1943 onwards (first presented in August 1943).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recognised the tail of the plane in te poster. Only Connies have those tails and nosewheel config. Made the search quite easy. But thank's for the compliment.

Amazing that you have the same perspective in the pic as in the advert... That must have taken some searching! :-!

I believe most Connies were out of mainline service by 1965.

The last user I knew of was Eastern which used them on the LGA-BOS hourly shuttle service. The shuttle service guaranteed you a seat. If the on-the-hour flight was full they rolled out another plane and it departed 20-min-after-the-hour (even if only one Pax was on-board!). If that plane filled they rolled out a third plane and it departed 40-min-after-the-hour. In 1967 Connies were Eastern's 40 min planes... You really can't appreciate how nice jets are until you fly one of these 4 engine piston planes :-d

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hope it is OK to kind of thread-jack here. Can anyone confirm if I am looking at a Universal Genéve Compax "three registers" or let me know the models exact name and when they were build like that? So far it was just a Compax to me but now I am a bit more curious. Comparing the pictures in the internet some of them come close but what puts me off is the printed "12" and the thin lugs. Any info appreciated. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hope it is OK to kind of thread-jack here. Can anyone confirm if I am looking at a Universal Genéve Compax "three registers" or let me know the models exact name and when they were build like that? So far it was just a Compax to me but now I am a bit more curious. Comparing the pictures in the internet some of them come close but what puts me off is the printed "12" and the thin lugs. Any info appreciated. :)

I am fairly certain your watch has been redialed. Indeed the printed 12 and the lines look very sloppy.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,172 Posts
I would beg to differ on the quality of that dial - I would consider it to be of fairly high quality. Nevertheless, it is clearly a redial - the marker next to the 40 seconds marker is somewhat off. However, I can't find any more obvious botches.....

Hartmut Richter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts