WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to find out any information or guidance with regards to intrinsically safe watches for use in an oil terminal.
I know nothing about watches so please excuse my ignorance but we are looking at supplying our operational staff with watches as reasonably priced as possible but with zero chance for spark.

Any help wouldl be very appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Of course I would do further research, but my first impression is that something like a Gshock would be perfect. I don't think electric sparks would be the primary concern (I don't know if there's any step up in the process, but the battery itself is only a few volts) but rather mechanical metal-metal sparking, which the resin/plastic exterior of the 'shock would help prevent quite nicely.
I do also see a lot of reports of people having experience wearing Gshocks while working with chemicals/solvents which is encouraging.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Casio G-Shock. A lot of specific models are available. Water resistant to 200 meters, synthetic straps, multiple functions, shock resistant. Definitely something that won't break the budget. It's really the watch of choice for active duty military when out in the field, so you know it's tough.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
My only reservation is oil residues may cause damage or deterioration to resin cased watches. A metal cased digital may be better, including metal cased Casio or Pulsar watches.

Reactions: SeanoftheDead516

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah, if you literally need zero chance of a spark I think you should avoid any electric watch including any G-Shock. I’d guess a plastic but fully mechanical watch (one with no electricity, not battery, no solar, etc) is the way to go. Maybe a Swatch Sistem51 would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Not sure of the relevance of plastic cases for anti-spark, I presume there's a lot of metal tools being used in the work environment.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Any brass or bronze cased diving watch will do it.

Your price range will determine which manufacture and by oil industry do you mean rigs or terminals, I presumed so and the diver gives you an outdoor watch with a timing bezel.

Something like this at $300
image.jpeg

Or this at €470
image.jpeg

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Zero chance of spark and people are recommending an electric watch. Gshock fanbois do what they always do.
Please don't tell me you'd recommend a mechanical. If you would, are you also going to use the good old "people went to war with them" as your reasoning for it?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Another option if this will be a budget orientated purchase is a brass cased watch like the Timex expedition at about $90.
These watches are painted black but use brass cases, they are a battery watch but how on earth there is any risk from that in a waterproof watch case is beyond me.
Good value and smart looking if you don't want a lump of plastic.

image.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It would help us to make useful suggestions if we knew the target price range. Is a $60 G Shock within that range?
yes that is absolutely within range. the watch I was talking about that was above the price range was the Patek Philippe Sky/Moon tourbillon suggestion

1 - 20 of 43 Posts