WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an Oris 42mm BC3 (eta 2836-2) for about 10 years but its let moisture in and now they want over $NZ500 (US$ 400) to fix it.
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. I can get a movement through Otto Frei (ETA Mechanical Watch Movements) for $176, and I thought I could give this to a small time watchmaker to place in my old case. What other parts do I need to get or should I expect a small shop to carry the various seals and gaskets? Any other ideas on how to get it running again for a realistic price? Ship to Thailand for repair?
Many thanks in advance.:)

·
Premium Member
60,750 Posts
Hi Daren, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you've got a poorly BC 3. Although it is a fairly standard ETA movement I'm not sure if the gaskets you will need are Oris specific. Anything of that nature and you will have to go via an Oris Authorised Dealer or repair centre as they will not provide parts to non ADs. Is the price you've been quoted for repair fixed or elastic? (is there a danger of it growing further if they discover more issues with the BC 3)

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
It sounds like you're getting a full service for that price (which you should have done years ago, and you wouldn't have had a moisture problem). A mechanical watch is like a car... you need to spend money on it every few years to maintain it, keep it running properly, and prevent breakdowns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I'll consider myself well chided for my foolishness.!!!?! I guess I'll bit the bullet and get the work done. I was really trying to think outside the box to solve the problem as the service agent were really unhelpful- I think the $400 was just an estimate and so will probably go up. I paid £GB 1000 in 2003 for this watch and I'm pretty attached to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
|> 400 is a very good price and will serve as a reminder for not taking care of it.
Exactly, still better than buying a new watch. I have vintage Omega which is worth about $2000 but for me it's priceless and had some problems with accuracy, Omega service center asked $1500 to fix it, so $400 is not too bad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just got my watch back- NZ$450 (US$ 373) and it is like brand new- beyond my expectations considering I thought it was a goner. Fully recommend Nairns Swiss Watch Service of Auckland, New Zealand. Great service, professionalism and price.
To put this in perspective Mansors in Akl serviced my Rolex for NZ$1,300! You gotta look after 'em. I think my first Oris is due the same treatment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts