WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member and first time poster. I was hoping some of you in the community could give me some suggestions for a new watch. Budget is ~$10,000 max (im hoping that is high end enough for this forum). I was looking for something skeleton style where I can see the inner workings from the front. I would also really like it to have a date function as well. I would prefer it to be self winding/automatic but if it isn't I would still consider it. Other things I would ideally like but are less important would be decent waterproofing and a metal band.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I know very little about the brands that make this style watch and hope to have a good reliable watch.

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

·
Registered
40,491 Posts
A date window makes it a little more difficult, this one is big, 45mm, and it's 11.5K MSRP, but with haggling, under
10K is possible.
Corum - Admiral's Cup AC-One 45 Skeleton, 082.401.04/0F01 FK10

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Welcome to WUS and the HEW sub-forum.

All the best.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Since Bovet essentially invented the skeleton watch and even today, they execute that style of watch better, IMO, than anyone else, my suggestion is to check to see what you can come by that tickles your fancy. (Master Horologer: Bovet Watches - Brand Profile , History and Products , Bovet Fleurier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Fleurier - Watch Wiki, The Best Watches And Watch Brands)

I have a feeling nothing will be in budget, but it's worth looking; there won't be that many that are available to begin with.

All the best.

Reactions: tigerpac

·
Registered
241 Posts
How about the TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre Heuer 01 watch which, according to :- [ TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre Heuer 01 Watch Hands-On | aBlogtoWatch ] will be available soon at a price of 4,900 Swiss Francs?

Readability looks slightly iffy in the photos but it is automatic and has a date window! Also it is water-resistant to 100 metres, so OK for swimming I imagine but probably not for diving to much depth.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
If you didn't have a date requirement, I would suggest looking at Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette and Jochen Benzinger Skeleton watches... maybe not "high end" in terms of brand prestige, but very nice and around your price point or less.

Date windows don't often show up in skeleton watches because you can usually see the date wheel, which isn't generally very attractive.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If I were you I'd put aside the date feature to settle for a Piaget skeleton model.

If you really want the date and automatic features, Zenith has many "Open" models that features an opening on the escapement and a big date which doesn't interfere with the aperture. Here a Chronomaster Open Big Date Sunphase, you may be able to find one used for less than ten grand.

There are also newer iterations:

The New Vintage 1969 pvd edition also offers a good view of the movement from the front, but this certainly isn't a dress watch.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
If I were you I'd put aside the date feature to settle for a Piaget skeleton model.

Unfortunately, that model Piaget, even grey market, is almost $50,000.

Reactions: Me116

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Unfortunately, that model Piaget, even grey market, is almost $50,000.
Wow! I hadn't realized that. The sales people certainly didn't bring the price to my attention when I tried it on at a Piaget boutique a few months ago. Best to go with a Zenith then...

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you're looking for a skeleton that has a more traditional look, you can get the "original" skeleton that was named the Watch of the Year in the 1990s - The Chronoswiss Opus.

FullSizeRender 11.jpg

FullSizeRender 10.jpg

I love mine, and got it preowned for well under your price point (you can find them close to half your budget).

It has a date dial (the dial on the right) and the Opus has become a bit of an iconic watch over the years. The hands are blued steel, which doesn't quite show up in the pictures.

Good luck with your search...

Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts