WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I just recently got into watches after my brother bought his Raymond Weil. Really interesting hobby, I'm big into bicycles so this seemed like a pretty natural extension of that.

That being said, I'm in the market for my first automatic watch. Funds are short for now, but if I save up more money, I may have some more disposable income in a few months. I'm looking for a vintage automatic watch from a Swiss or German manufacturer for less than 300 dollars. Some of the best watches I've found so far are Longines and Tissots.

I need it to have a domed crystal, doesn't matter what material. I want a white face, and if possible a blue one, but I know that's rare in my price range. I'm looking for a dress watch with a minimal bezel. A date window is nice, but I don't need it and I don't like roman numerals. Finally, the watch band doesn't really matter because I'm planning on switching it out with brown leather as soon as I get it. That being said the lugs need to accept a standard size for brown leather straps.

Thank you in advance for your help.

W.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yours is in fantastic condition. That's not what I'm finding on Ebay! I'm also a little worried about paying more for a vintage than a new Certina watch. What happend? It seems that their brand has been devalued over the years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm also a little worried about paying more for a vintage than a new Certina watch. What happend? It seems that their brand has been devalued over the years.
The new ones have nothing to do with the old ones, the new ones are only a name. Certina is gone, they were assimilated by the Borg (Swatch).

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If youre into cycling your brown leather band is gonna be ruined. Its gonna soak up sweat and stank. I would get something solid that can dress up or down with a rubber strap or leather

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would suggest you consider vintage Omegas from the late 60s on. You may have to go to $500 to get something in good shape but you will also be getting a quality watch. Lots of styles to choose from but blue will probably be tough to locate. Or keep saving a little longer and choose my favorite daily wearer (currently), the Omega Seamaster. Preowned in good shape about $1500

Maybe the nicest blue dial I have seen.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts