WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so a bit melodramatic haha...Anyway as my signature says I am generally speaking a "one watch kinda guy". I love the idea of having one watch that I wear throughout my life and than pass down to my children as a precious heirloom. What can I say...I'm a hopeless romantic. But somehow spending time on here I've ended up with 3 (hmm I wonder how that could have happened :p) Anyway I've often thought of returning back to basics and just owning the one watch (aside from my C.Ward which I will always have and wear only on special occasions of course) which I would wear in most situations. Just never could quite get myself to do it...Until now that is...Circumstances, as it were have, forced my hand and I have decidedly to finally to take the plunge and pick out the one watch to wear [almost] everywhere (still have my sentimental dressy remember). Now in an ideal world I would buy this one watch and ensure that I'm happy with it prior to selling off my Tissot PRS516 & my Bulova Precisionist. Unfortunately the watch fund is currently standing at $0 so, as some have already noticed, I have my Tissot & Bulova already up for sale. I'm hoping to generate around $500-$600 from these sales (hope Hope HOPE) and my lovely wife has kindly offered to chip in another $600 if it means I'll stop bugging her about new purchases from hereon end (isn't she sweet hehe)

Anyway so I've sort of picked out the watch I love and would be happy to wear for every occasion except the really dressy (you keep forgetting about my C.Ward dont you? :p) but just looking for what other people can come up with as options. Remember my loving wife will strangle me if I contemplate any new watch purchase after this so I have to be 100% certain before I pull the trigger :-D

So yea lets see what watch you would be happy with to wear on every occasion other than really dressy...Just some basic rules to follow

Budget around $1100-$1200
Needs to be mechanical
Has to have good lume (this is the only reason the Tissot didn't make the cut. While I love the watch, the lume was a bit disappointing and its starting to bug me now...hmm I wonder if you guys had anything to do with this as well :p)
Between 41 & 45mm (already have a smaller dressy)
Minimum 50m water resistance

Whats my choice so far?

Stowa Flieger Handwinding 6498
S1.jpg S2.jpg S3.jpg S4.jpg

oh and my C. Ward C5 MKII in case you forgot about it :p

c1.jpg

Reactions: hiro1963

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I have nothing to add except: you already have the watch picked out!!! I could show you other watches, but it would be an effort in futility. Stowa FTW!

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I certainly understand the simplicity of one watch. Plus, when you go to pass it down to your children, it has more meaning if the watch is *the one* watch wore everyday. However, if passing down a watch is something that appeals to you; have more children! If say, you end up with six kids (for the sake of argument let's say they are all boys), then each kid is going to need a watch. For the sake of fairness. There you go, at least a seven watch collection. One for each child, and one for yourself. Plus, when you're old enough, you got to start thinking of the grandkids. Grandkids don't get a watch to remember grandpa by? Can't let that happen, right?

Anyway, as for a casual jack of all trades, how about one of the all lume dial Damaskos, the DA35 or DA37 depending on whether you like numerals or indices. Ice hardened case that will outlast the movement, 1 mm smaller than your requirement of 41-44 but the white dial wears larger, and the all lume dial addresses one of the few deficiencies I have with black dial damaskos (the poor lume). I also think that the white dial is able to take a greater variety of straps. Anything from colorful natos to beefy distressed leather.

DA37_first.jpg

Want lume, can't beat this lume.
DA37_lume.jpg

Personally, the best looking variant.
damasko-da-35-wi_1.jpg

EDIT:

So I went back to reread your OP. A Marine watch, in 42mm, will probably give you best range. I believe Steinhard makes a 42mm model. However, you could always buy the Marine and the Damasko.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thumbs up! Excellent watch choice.
I personally would want a Marine Original, but the Flieger is a very close second. I think it fits well with what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see your sinn and raise you this upcoming stowa that's still in the pipelines

Let's just say I won't be making any hasty decisions until I see this :-D

The Naf

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I've been a proponent of the Stowa 6948. It is beautiful simplicity.

However, I would be a liar if I didn't admit NightOwl had just changed my mind... I think. The full lume and seconds hand on the DA37 are 2 features I believe you would thoroughly enjoy, no? I know you want to be mesmerized by that seconds hand don't you? :)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He he I did say that...I dunno just something about the domasko doesn't feel right...not a big fan of the crown and all dial lume? I dunno...

The Naf

·
Registered
699 Posts
This is a beautifully simple piece. Question from a noob: How long will the lume remain as bright as new on a fully lumed dial like that? I imagine re-luming would be a challenge if the lume faded over time.
I certainly understand the simplicity of one watch. Plus, when you go to pass it down to your children, it has more meaning if the watch is *the one* watch wore everyday. However, if passing down a watch is something that appeals to you; have more children! If say, you end up with six kids (for the sake of argument let's say they are all boys), then each kid is going to need a watch. For the sake of fairness. There you go, at least a seven watch collection. One for each child, and one for yourself. Plus, when you're old enough, you got to start thinking of the grandkids. Grandkids don't get a watch to remember grandpa by? Can't let that happen, right?

Anyway, as for a casual jack of all trades, how about one of the all lume dial Damaskos, the DA35 or DA37 depending on whether you like numerals or indices. Ice hardened case that will outlast the movement, 1 mm smaller than your requirement of 41-44 but the white dial wears larger, and the all lume dial addresses one of the few deficiencies I have with black dial damaskos (the poor lume). I also think that the white dial is able to take a greater variety of straps. Anything from colorful natos to beefy distressed leather.

View attachment 1039046

Want lume, can't beat this lume.
View attachment 1039048

Personally, the best looking variant.
View attachment 1039049

EDIT:

So I went back to reread your OP. A Marine watch, in 42mm, will probably give you best range. I believe Steinhard makes a 42mm model. However, you could always buy the Marine and the Damasko.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I would love to post some model to help you out , but I like the one watch idea. Also passing the watch on to someone else to enjoy one day. That being said a brand with tradition and longevity is a must if it where me. So if it were me... Sinn

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I would love to post some model to help you out , but I like the one watch idea. Also passing the watch on to someone else to enjoy one day. That being said a brand with tradition and longevity is a must if it where me. So if it were me... Sinn
I see where your coming from. And I think it's hard to deny that Stowa has the pedigree given it was one of the 5 original manufacturers of Flieger watches. And even though it was sold to Jorg at some point in time he clearly is very interested in keeping continuity in Stowa's history. As for longevity its hard to say but it is a one man band at the moment so its very hard to predict where it will be in the future. However, at this price point the movements are fairly stock standard and I'm sure any old watch maker could service it in the long run. And if your worried about longevity of the brand name per say and not the specific watch than I'd have to say part of bequeathing this watch to my heir would be to teach him about its history etc (whether the company were alive than or not). As a side note to those who think a watch can only be an heirloom piece if its worth over $5000...our good friend Robert still has and cherishes what I believe was his grand fathers daily wearer which was some Hamilton. Heirlooms are more sentiment than commercial value ;-)

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
This is a stupid question. I'm going to give you an option. Pick it.

1. Citizen Signature Grand Classic. If you are set on one watch (+ a dressy companion, of course) this is the one. 40mm plus the crown guards, awesome lume (even if it doesn't look like it, trust me), 100m WR, silly good build quality, stunning good looks, visual interest, and the most ridiculously good movement available for under several thousand dollars (Or whatever passes for money in Koala-Land) (Yes, I know the Aussie dollar is better than ours right now).

Also comes in black if that is more your style.

8571063971_772572bdf2_z.jpg
7651590380_bfd7a8428b_z.jpg

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
As a side note to those who think a watch can only be an heirloom piece if its worth over $5000...our good friend Robert still has and cherishes what I believe was his grand fathers daily wearer which was some Hamilton. Heirlooms are more sentiment than commercial value ;-)

I'm guessing you are referring to my grandfather's 1936. It doesn't get much wear because the parts are unavailable if something were to break. I want my niece or nephew to get it after me, and it still runs like a champ. I give it a light wind every month or two just to keep it happy. As for passing heirlooms on to your children, anything within the quality range of that Stowa should last for many decades if well cared for. Indeed, any watchmaker should have no problem working on an Unitas 6498 or ETA 2824-2 for years to come. As for the Stowa though, wouldn't you want a seconds hand?

HamiWr1Sm.jpg

Reactions: J.W. and The Naf

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
As for the Stowa though, wouldn't you want a seconds hand?

View attachment 1039187
I did think about it for a while and than I decided meh... I'm not so interested in the historical aspect as much as the design elements that make up a flieger i.e. clean, legible, proportionate use of lume (unlike those divers with sploges of lume everywhere! kidding kidding ;-) ), incredibly practical and simple :) Not that I'm un-interested in the history...I just don't need it to be completely historically accurate. Stowa do offer a handwinding version with the 2801 and a central second hand but the 6498 looks soo much prettier :-D Enough prettier for me to be able to live without the second hand hehe...I can let my C5 second hand do all the mesmerising hehehe

And thanks for sharing pictures of your grandfather's 1936 :) I do love a bit of nostalgia ;-)

Reactions: skywatch

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I agree the watch doesn't need to cost thousands and your price range is perfect for what you are looking for. Stowa is a great brand and well loved here. For me personally a beautiful pilot watch wouldn't be a good everyday all around watch because I wouldn't want to Wabi something that nice everyday. A one watch idea for me would be an Explorer or some diver, but based on your criteria I would go the Sinn route for everyday if a diver or speedy was ruled out. Most watches built today will be around for a long time. My Vostok with a 2209 keeps good time and it was built in the 70's. Best of luck in your search and it was the idea that caught my interest. Stowa, Sinn, Damasko, Ball would all be a good choice. IMO

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wait for the new Stowa, and if you don't like it...
View attachment 1039378
Well under budget
I actually quite like the Halios tropic diver which is quite surprising as I don't do divers...but I can't seem to find any info on their website about it. Where do I go to get more info?

The Naf

1 - 20 of 53 Posts