WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little brother just passed his final CPA exam and I’d like to surprise him with a new watch. He currently wears fashion watches (Skagen, Nixon, etc).

Requirements:
1. Under 40mm
2. Comes on a black leather strap (don’t want the hassle of finding another strap)
3. $750-1500
4. Has one or more subdials (small seconds, etc)
5. Looking for a dressy GADA watch that can be worn casually and to work, rather than a dress watch.

·
Registered
31,976 Posts
Seiko Cocktail Time?

ticks all the boxes aexcept for the small seconds/sundial one but there is a cool texture on the dial to make up for that

FD206EA3-C757-48B1-A94F-D4A47713A70E.jpeg

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seiko Cocktail Time?

ticks all the boxes aexcept for the small seconds/sundial one but there is a cool texture on the dial to make up for that

View attachment 12862023
Definitely a nice watch, but I’d like to keep my budget range more around the $750-1500 range if possible. (Probably closer to the $1500 mark than the $750 even).

This will be his first automatic watch and I kinda wanna get him something a bit more high end.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is really the only watch on my radar so far...

771C737C-7581-456C-B722-4C693647271D.jpeg

·
Registered
388 Posts
outside of nomos, it might be a bit difficult to find something (new) that ticks all the boxes... if your brother's like mine, i suspect he might find an automatic as his first mechanical watch more palatable than a hand wound one.

if you don't mind japanese, try googling seiko 6r21 / 6r24 / 6r27 - these are easy to service world wide and the 6r2x series can be good value for money in some models.

eg. the seiko sarw015 comes on a bracelet but you can buy him a life time supply of spring bars, straps, a spring bar tool and set aside money for its first service.

you can find dressier models with the same movement that will cost more (enamel dials, etc) but the price and possibly diameter increases on the dressy pieces.

if regulators are possible, you can look into anything with an ETA 7001.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It is slightly over budget ($1,800 retail) and the size is 40mm, but it is an automatic.
The numerals make it casual, but it is a dressy watch by nature. It also has a sub dial.
Unfortunately it does not come with a black strap, but I still think you should consider this or Nomos.

Longines Heritage 1945.jpg
(Not my pic)

Reactions: Silent

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I like the Nomos, would be hard to beat.

Other potential options.. but might be slightly over $1500... Longines 1969, Sinn 1736, might be close to a Tudor Style (no subdials on these though). Christopher Ward has the 5-day small seconds, but handwound.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you certain that he will be ok with the inconveniences of an automatic? Anyway, the Nomos is a good choice. Why the sub-dial requirement? That reduces options a little.
Automatic yes, handwound not so sure. I hadn’t considered that aspect but automatic is preferred.

Regarding subdials my Daytona is his favorite watch and he was oooing and ahhhing over a Lange Saxonia I was looking at.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Loving the options so far, will be researching he. Over the weekend.

I don’t mind going a bit higher with my budget either. I just want to get him a nice watch, but keep the price low enough to where I won’t worry about it. If I bought him a $5000+ watch I’d be worried about if he was wearing it, if he was taking care of it, if it would get stolen, etc.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Automatic yes, handwound not so sure. I hadn’t considered that aspect but automatic is preferred.

Regarding subdials my Daytona is his favorite watch and he was oooing and ahhhing over a Lange Saxonia I was looking at.
Fair enough. Just a thought but if he's impressed by a subdial an open balance might send him into raptures.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Nomos would be a great choice. Other suggestions would be:

Junghans Meister
Frederique Constant
Oris Artelier Date
Junghans Max Bill
Baume and Mercier

·
Registered
12,447 Posts

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Like others here, Nomos immediately came to mind as well.

Seems a few are suggesting the new ones with California dials (split Arabic and Roman numerals).

Here are some photos of a traditional dial. There are some strong contenders here, I think.

There are some other options in that price range, too.

Let us know...are these suggestions too dressy, too casual, not his style?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts