WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've got two watches from Julian Kampmann at home. One of them need to return to Germany, while the other one gets a new home with me.

Lets introduce the contenders:

In the red corner, measuring in at 38 x 13 mm - the Strela "Kirova". This contender is no longer in production, so is getting harder to find. It's of course powered by the 3133 chrono movement.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376412607.719417.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376412622.001785.jpg

In the blue corner, measuring in at 43x13 mm - the Poljot International Jaroslavl. This watch is powered by the nicest decorated Slava 2427 double barrel movement I've ever seen.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376412738.184625.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376412759.484837.jpg

So, which one would you bet your money on, and why?

Both watches have their protective stickers still in place, so the photos might be a little dim.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I would personally keep the second one even though the first one is hard to find. It simply looks much better to me, very clean dial, not to mention what's on the other side.

·
Premium Member
40,689 Posts
My head says keep the 3133 - you will probably be thankful in a couple of years when the prices have gone up.

But...that Poljot is stunning!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Malakim, I guess the question I'm thinking is, what about the rest of your collection?
If you've another 3133, get the PI. Easy
If you haven't, which of the two are you more likely to wear? I think, for me, the PI still shades it (more wearable *and* that gorgeous movement)

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
First thought is to keep both and sell the 3133 in a few years when it goes up in price. Barring that possibility I'd say, strictly from a keeper perspective with no intention to sell, to go with the Poljot. I think it's a nicer watch overall and fits more in line size-wise with what I would wear (I don't know your size preference). If you don't intend to keep the watch then the Strela is going to appreciate more in value over time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
When in doubt...keep both and ask your spouse for forgiveness later!

Reactions: zippofan

·
Registered
60 Posts
They are both nice but I like the the Strela "Kirova" with the 3133 I think potential for more value is there. Plus I like the look of it better too. But thats just this man's 2 cents.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
If the PI was 38mm it would be a stunner, but 43.....can you wear it. Bordering on saucer size what with the all dial look. Nice looker, and the movement a stunner too.
Hmmm.....can you keep both....

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
The Poljot seems like it would wear large, but it's very handsome. That's the nicest Kirova I've seen. I don't get the "cobbled together" impression that I get from many Kirovas. I'd keep the one you like best. :-d

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all comments so far. I took a crappy wrist shot of each watch (without tightening the strap though), to give an idea of how it would look on the wrist.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376429169.500219.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376429209.936301.jpg

To be honest, I wish the Strela were a few mm larger, and the PI could have been a few smaller. The Strela looks a little small and tall, the height of the PI is disguised better by the larger case I think.

Maybe I'll heed the advice to keep both (thanks a lot, guys...) - just better make sure the credit card statements don't fall into the wrong hands...

·
Premium Member
40,689 Posts
The Poljot sure looks as though it fits you better

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I didn't think this would be so tough. I'd probably keep the strela. 3133 prices are going up, and its a nice watch. Plus, I think the poljot is a hair too large in diameter. Having said that, you couldn't go wrong with either......or both......

·
Vendor
27,768 Posts
Wow. Tough choice. They're so different, how do you make a comparison?

The dial on the Poljot is absolutely stunning, but for me, I've never liked that style of lugs, or the onion crown. Some watches have flaws you can look past - like the date wheel color, or a cyclops, or being a tad too small or too large, but again - for me - lug shape and crown style are hard for me to ignore. But then again, it is a dress watch. But it's 43mm, so maybe it's not really a dress watch...

Looking at the Strela...at first I really liked it, then I noticed the lack of lume on the hands, and the date window at 4:30...damn those Russkies for not putting it at 6 - the wheel's oriented that way, it would have been perfect there. I don't mind the mismatched hands - I get that it's a chrono and that's deliberate, but they could have done a better job matching the styles.

I think if it were me, I'd keep the chrono, but put it on a really slick black alligator strap with red stitches. It's not that large for a chrono - 38mm - and it's got a bad-boy vibe about it. I can imagine wearing that with a black suit and a wine-red shirt. Awwww, yeaaahhhh. Someone call the homicide division, 'cause we got a lady-killer right there.

Reactions: zippofan

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't think I could get past the logo on that chrono. I don't understand the weird mix of fonts, font sizes and randomly placed symbols? Maybe it is just a language thing, but it is definitely lost in translation for me...

·
Vendor
27,768 Posts
I don't think I could get past the logo on that chrono. I don't understand the weird mix of fonts, font sizes and randomly placed symbols? Maybe it is just a language thing, but it is definitely lost in translation for me...
In Russia, chronos randomly place YOU!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
My what a difficult quandary …

As Chris mentioned some deal killers can be overlooked but some just can’t.

I am a central seconds guy & don’t understand why anyone would add a small seconds circle on such a nice dial
just for some text & a date. That, the humongous crown and 43mm kill the Poljot for me.

The Strela has a few quirks, but that’s what makes it … no lume, mismatched hands & date wheel …
so what, it rocks. As Kath said if you don’t have a 3133 already it seems a more likely choice.

Keeping them both and moving one off (if you find you aren’t wearing it) in the future would mean
putting a “used” label on it … but probably would not be too much of a hit on the pocketbook.

Who knows might just pass up something else and put both in the keeper box.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah - it really is difficult to choose. They are quite different (obviously).

I don't have a 3133 any more, I sold my old one a few months back. That kind of speaks for the Strela.

On the other hand the PI is obviously a higher quality watch. The finish on the case is amazing, as is the decoration work on the movement.

I'll hang on to both for a few days and see if any one of them outgrows the other. Maybe try and move some seldom used pieces of my current collection to make room for both.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If I were you I'd go with the Strela. The Strela is the more wearable of the two. It got a classic size and would go well as a dress watch but would look equally good with t-shirt and denims. The PI looks good, but is to big. It's a dress watch with the size of a diver. And in the long run, who cares how the movement look. If you really love a watch it will spend more time on the wrist than of, so you'll never see the movement anyway.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I'd have to keep the Strela, but I'm biased as the basic design is one of my favorites. But I've always wanted a Poljot International, and with that movement, wow! The tipping point is the size, I can wear 38mm easily, but the larger PI just wouldn't get worn in my collection.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts