WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
50 years old, CEO of a good company. Loves good watches and already owns around 5 nice pieces. He is now looking for a new piece and i'm here to help which one. I can easily pick something in up to 1000 eur range, but he is looking something up to 10.000 eur range. What watch would you recommend to him? Something with good story, mechanics,...? And case MUST be at least 42mm. I told him as a watch lover, he should have at least one Rolex...but i don't see why is this brand so popular.

·
Registered
95 Posts
During the business meetings, I see a lot of IWC Portuguese 7-day. I just saw one yesterday, worn by a CEO. And before that I saw one worn by a consulting partner, as well as a multi-billion dollar business founder. My recommendation would be this model.

1. 10K EUR range
2. It's still identifiable among business people, yet there aren't gazillions of them like Rolex
3. It looks serious, with a clean dial and leather strap
4. It's slightly above 42 mm
5. 7-day reserve, despite claims that it makes the watch less accurate, is still very story-worthy and practical

I normally wouldn't pick this watch, because I believe IWCs are a bit overpriced due to heavy marketing. But, if the aim is to fit in to a certain demographic, without a Rolex, this is a good option.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
If he is in a technology field, the Ressence Type 1 watches might be of interest to him, especially since he already has 5 other nice watches. They are really neat, oil-filled dial with mechanics like nothing else you will see. I've never seen one in person, but I've seen a few on Chrono24 new for a little more than the $10k euro price.

View attachment 7305882

View attachment 7305890

View attachment 7305906

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
50 years old, CEO of a good company. Loves good watches and already owns around 5 nice pieces. He is now looking for a new piece and i'm here to help which one. I can easily pick something in up to 1000 eur range, but he is looking something up to 10.000 eur range. What watch would you recommend to him? Something with good story, mechanics,...? And case MUST be at least 42mm. I told him as a watch lover, he should have at least one Rolex...but i don't see why is this brand so popular.
Might help if we knew what five he already owns...

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Whatever you choose in that price range, that he doesn't already have, and that meets the specified objective criteria will be an excellent choice. If you're the "watch guy" and he's not, I guarantee you nothing you select will be a poor choice.

My advice is to just go to your favorite HEW store and pick something. Don't go off looking for some esoteric make of watch that will be a pain in his non-watch-obsessed ass to own and maintain.

All the best.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Might help if we knew what five he already owns...
That's indeed pretty much key... Knowing what he has, and what he likes/hates, what's his style, what use (sports? business? formal? casual? everyday general wear?) is this watch for?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Chronograph, diving, gmt (dual time zones), dress vs durable, new vs old, sporty vs refined,.... Please give more specifics.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
CEO, 50, watch lover, and has only a 10K budget? Doesn't really add up imo. I'd expect atleast 5-10X budget in such a situation..

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
CEO, 50, watch lover, and has only a 10K budget? Doesn't really add up imo. I'd expect atleast 5-10X budget in such a situation..
In all fairness, not all CEOs run Fortune 500 corporations. Too, not everyone who can spend far larger sums on a watch actually is willing to do so.

All the best.

Reactions: baaart and blabla99

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
fargo said:
During the business meetings, I see a lot of IWC Portuguese 7-day. I just saw one yesterday, worn by a CEO. And before that I saw one worn by a consulting partner, as well as a multi-billion dollar business founder. My recommendation would be this model ..... if the aim is to fit in to a certain demographic, without a Rolex, this is a good option.
Hmmmm, do I need to sell mine? I clearly do not fit the demographic and I have yet to spot the first IWC Portuguese 7-day in the wild, business meetings or elsewhere. Meetings that I attend are dominated by iPhones, iWatches are on the rise and any noteworthy "nice" watches are almost exclusively by Rolex.

tony20009 said:
In all fairness, not all CEOs run Fortune 500 corporations. Too, not everyone who can spend far larger sums on a watch actually is willing to do so.
True that - I work for a Fortune 500 company and last year, our CEO made about 90x what I make. He always wears a Rolex DSSD - I assume he's a one-watch person, yet I rotate a small collection with the Portuguese Automatic as its top-dog. We all have different priorities and hobbies and spend our money differently. There's nothing wrong with that. I get zero enjoyment out of expensive cigars and whiskey's - that easily translates to a very nice watch every year or so

With all that said, I think this Portuguese is an excellent choice / recommendation. You (OP) may want to give some thought as to which dial - hand combo your friend-CEO would prefer. All of them are stunning and my preference is:

141011_IWC_Portuguese_4.jpg

Good luck picking one and let us know the winner

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
GO senator would be a nice alternative to Portuguese 7 day.
In my biased opinion, you phrased that backwards. The Portuguese 7 day is a good alternative to the Senator Observer, because the Senator Observer should be one's first choice.
20151114_1547002.jpg

·
Registered
623 Posts
The 7 day has its charm, but it does not fit under a shirt cuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really wanted a 7 day until I saw one in person and realized it's a tough one to use as a dress watch due to its thickness/size. It's more or less the same as my Sea Dweller, except with a few more mm on the diameter. It definitely has a presence though.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I love these guys that come on here and post their requests for watch options and then are never to be heard from again. I was going to post some options but if the OP can't be bothered to come back and interact with the folks who've come in and provided feedback then I'm not going to waste my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
How did he become the CEO of a company if he has to ask others to choose his watches for him.

Does he ask other people to make his business decisions I can picture it now

"Boss we need to make a quick business decision about if we buyout a rival.

hang on I will just get someone else to ask a load of people they don't know on an Internet forum and I will let you know in a month what they say"

I am glad I don't work at that company the business meetings must take forever.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I really wanted a 7 day until I saw one in person and realized it's a tough one to use as a dress watch due to its thickness/size. It's more or less the same as my Sea Dweller, except with a few more mm on the diameter. It definitely has a presence though.
Quoted for truth. I've tried on that watch so many times but it's simply just too chunky for me. Looks great in photos though!

GO Senator Observer is awesome. GO really flies under the radar, though, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on his preference.

Here's another suggestion - Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts