WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which Seiko Spirit?

• SCVS003

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • SCVS013

Votes: 26 70.3%

Help me choose a Seiko Spirit - SCVS003 or SCVS013?

24K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  Gozoid 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

After browsing this forum for weeks I've landed on the two watches in my price ranges I want, but I can't decide which one to get. I was wondering if I could get your input? I want a sophisticated but classic looking watch:

Either
SCVS003

Or
SCVS013

I plan on using the standard bands too. My age is 23 so I want something more younger looking but classic. Also versatility is big since I want to be able to wear it with jeans + shirt as well as dress formal.

Currently I'm leaning towards SCVS013 because I prefer leather bands and the watch face seems more classier but I wanted to get your opinions first and I'm worried for daily use if the watch band for the SCVS013 will get more banged up then the metal band... any experiences with this? Does a leather band have more wear and tear?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey guys,

After browsing this forum for weeks I've landed on the two watches in my price ranges I want, but I can't decide which one to get. I was wondering if I could get your input? I want a sophisticated but classic looking watch:

Either
SCVS003

Or
SCVS013

I plan on using the standard bands too. My age is 23 so I want something more younger looking but classic. Also versatility is big since I want to be able to wear it with jeans + shirt as well as dress formal.

Currently I'm leaning towards SCVS013 because I prefer leather bands and the watch face seems more classier but I wanted to get your opinions first and I'm worried for daily use if the watch band for the SCVS013 will get more banged up then the metal band... any experiences with this? Does a leather band have more wear and tear?

Thanks!
I like the SCVS013 too. The blued pencil lead hands, white dial and black cordovan strap look great together. It has recalls the styling of KS and GS watches from the 1960's. As far as wear, both will show it. The stainless bracelet can be re-brushed while the leather cannot. To be honest I would recommend that you go for the look you enjoy.

#6 ·
003, only because I'm a bracelet guy and bracelets are a better versatile look, straps like that (thin on a thin watch) just make it look too feminine for me.

#8 ·
The 003 is a sportier watch imo. The 013 dressier. I think the 003 is more versatile, but in the end the only thing that matters is what you think of it :) Get the one that speaks to you most!

To be 23 again....oh the joy of youth!

#11 ·
All 3 of the watches I ordered from Seiya-san arrived in about 1 week. I am in the northwest U.S. Of course you could get hung up in customs, or some other snag. But I have had good experience. |>|> You could always shoot him an email and ask. He is responsive to email.

#13 ·
This is a very difficult decision. So buy both. Yes, that is the answer.

No, really. It is difficult. You can't go wrong with either, so you have to just figure out which one speaks to you the most. I will say that I prefer the SARB033 (a different spirit model, slightly more expensive) over the SCVS003 because I like the marks on the chapter ring and the bracelet better on the former.

The SCVS013 has always caught my eye as to me it is a cross between a Stowa and a Seiko. I like the ones that stand out a little. The SCVS003 is a classic design and will be around forever, but based on your age I say go with the SCVS013. It has a more modern feel to it. But i would get it off that black strap and put it on a nice brown or tan croc leather strap and it will look fantastic. You can get a deployant clasp to make it look even better. I think the brown strap will dress it down and a shiny black strap will make it more formal for you.

You had some questions about straps vs bracelets. I prefer bracelets, but that is just a preference. They will get scuff marks on them, but there isn't much you can do about that. They can be polished or brushed to bring back to life. Straps are nice because you have an unlimited selection of aftermarket stuff and can easily change the look of a watch just by changing the strap. If given the option and the money, I prefer to by a braceleted watch because usually you can just take off the bracelet and put any strap on. It is difficult to go the other way.

The SCVS013 looks like it is designed to be a strap only model. Those lugs are so simple and clean that a bracelet on them would just be too much.

Be sure to let us know what you decide and more importantly, your impression when you receive it.

#14 ·
This is a very difficult decision. So buy both. Yes, that is the answer.

No, really. It is difficult. You can't go wrong with either, so you have to just figure out which one speaks to you the most. I will say that I prefer the SARB033 (a different spirit model, slightly more expensive) over the SCVS003 because I like the marks on the chapter ring and the bracelet better on the former.

The SCVS013 has always caught my eye as to me it is a cross between a Stowa and a Seiko. I like the ones that stand out a little. The SCVS003 is a classic design and will be around forever, but based on your age I say go with the SCVS013. It has a more modern feel to it. But i would get it off that black strap and put it on a nice brown or tan croc leather strap and it will look fantastic. You can get a deployant clasp to make it look even better. I think the brown strap will dress it down and a shiny black strap will make it more formal for you.

You had some questions about straps vs bracelets. I prefer bracelets, but that is just a preference. They will get scuff marks on them, but there isn't much you can do about that. They can be polished or brushed to bring back to life. Straps are nice because you have an unlimited selection of aftermarket stuff and can easily change the look of a watch just by changing the strap. If given the option and the money, I prefer to by a braceleted watch because usually you can just take off the bracelet and put any strap on. It is difficult to go the other way.

The SCVS013 looks like it is designed to be a strap only model. Those lugs are so simple and clean that a bracelet on them would just be too much.

Be sure to let us know what you decide and more importantly, your impression when you receive it.
ok definitely will im going to wait for a few more members to weigh in the responses but I think I'm pretty much decided on getting the 013... this is a great forum by the way I'm happy I found it (found it through a recommendation from someone from headfi, an audiophile equipment forum). You guys are all really helpful!

#16 ·
Re: Seiko Spirit - SCVS003

Go the 013. As the others have stated it's got a clean almost art deco style. I'm not too fussed on the flat black leather strap, but that's easily changed and is only limited by your imagination.

The 003 is extremely conservative and has a bit of a Rolex vibe to it, not really the thing for a young guy like yourself in my opinion.

#18 ·
I say the 013...I've grown very fond of the look of the hands/dial/case together.

But if I ever get one, I plan on putting it on one of the Spirit bracelets, as I normally prefer bracelets...if I can get them adjusted to my wrist properly :-!.

#19 ·
Both watches look great, but I voted for the 013 because of your need for versatility. The dial appears less busy than the 003, and the blue hands really make it feel a bit sporty.

If it were me buying it, I would definitely put it on a bracelet for everyday wear, and throw on the original strap when you need to dress it up.

#21 · (Edited)
You can buy bracelets loads of places. There is a Strap forum here that covers bracelets too. Go to Ebay and look under watches and bracelets to get an idea. For the 013 you are looking for a 20mm width bracelet.

BTW - the pics of Kelly Rayburn's watch were, if I recall correctly, an experiment from 1-2 years ago where he moded the watch with different Seiko hands. I don't believe thats a "stock" Seiko in the pics (and his are always SO nice).

#23 ·
You can buy bracelets loads of places. There is a Strap forum here that covers bracelets too. Go to Ebay and look under watches and bracelets to get an idea. For the 013 you are looking for a 20mm width bracelet.

BTW - the pics of Kelly Raymond's watch were, if I recall correctly, an experiment from 1-2 years ago where he moded the watch with different Seiko hands. I don't believe thats a "stock" Seiko in the pics (and his are always SO nice).
What are the kelly Raymond's watch pics you are talking about?

#25 ·
Get the SCVS003 and you can put it on a strap if you don't like the bracelet.

I've been very happy with my SCVS003 "Spirit" but I'm thinking of getting
the version with the white dial (the model number escapes me at the moment).

Either way you'll have a very nice watch!

Good luck!

#33 ·
I traded my 013 for 003 . Need I say more? :)
013 is small and too tall boxy for its diameter. sad but true. that caliber is quite tall and not really aproppriate for a small dressy watch. That is why the newer 6R15 models have domed crystals to hide some of that height. the downside is of course the mineral crystal must be used (domed sapphire would probably double the price).

#34 ·
013 does have a Seiko OEM bracelet. It is the one from the 015 model that uses the same case. I actually bought it from Seiya on the bracelet. It was about 60USD extra at the time.

I would not get it again though. I would get the SARB031 or its black dial variant instead.

#40 ·
I have the 013, and am completely pleased with it. Unfortunately, it does not recieve much wrist time. It does however receive more compliments than my other watches.

I have mine on a blue Ostrich strap with Seiko deployant. It looks great on black dress leather as well, but the stock band was a little too thick and plain for the watch in my opinion.

My vote is for the 013, but I have limited experience with the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.