WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First time poster here. I really like the look of the Breitling Transocean Day/Date, pictured below:

Breitling.jpg

That said, I'd like to get opinions regarding what other options I should consider in this price range. I really like the classical design/style of this watch, so I would not like to deviate from it too much. That said, I'd prefer arabic numerals as opposed to tick marks on the face, and I would prefer the case back to be transparent, to be able to see the movement.

To be completely honest, I also like small windows on the face that show some of the watch's movements too; however, I realize this would be extraordinarily difficult to get at this price point, so I'm not banking on being able to acquire such a thing. But there are loads of smart people on this site whose knowledge far outweighs mine....so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps me out. I'm new to this hobby so everyone's input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree with the above. Also check out the Tudor Advisor (Official Tudor Website). There are certainly a lot of choices so I wouldnt rush into anything. Longines has many offerings with arabics as well...not so much with open hearts though.

Reactions: Jumpingjalapeno

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I would get the Eterna Soleure auto instead. It has been discontinued so it is a little hard to find but it goes for a fraction of the price of the Breilting,
eterna-Soleure-Automatic.jpg

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I love the Transocean 3-hand (I have one myself). One thing to take into consideration, though, is that it's a large watch for its style at 43mm (and wears large). I sometimes wish mine was 40-41mm. Other than that, it's a beautiful watch on the wrist... very classic and timeless.

Until I found mine at a good price, the Certina DS-1 was at the top of my list, by default, due to price.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Grand Seiko would be worth a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Thanks everyone for the robust discussion!

I forgot to mention that I really would like day/date complications on the watch too. I've checked out what everyone has suggested. Next to the Breitling, the Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot Day Date is really nice (I like it a lot!) and the Certina DS-1 is an interesting alternative. The Omega and the Zenith didn't really appeal to me. Something about the Eterna turned me off, although I'm having difficulty putting my finger on it; too many dots maybe?

The Tudor Prince Date-Day also looks like an interesting choice....Is this Tudor brand essentially a Rolex with different insignia? I mean, the Tudor even has a screw-in crown, which is a really nice feature that not even the Breitling has.

All this being said, I think the Oris is the new front-runner. It has arabic numerals, a see-though back case, and a screw-in crown. I think the movement is modified ETA. Anyways, this is the watch with the ORIS leather strap that I like:

Oris.png

Lastly, and I know this may be perceived as being a little superficial, Breitling and Oris resonate with me more as brands. Omega and Zenith do too, I just didn't like their styles. The other brands......just didn't make me feel as excited to purchase.

Again, thanks to everyone for suggesting these choices! I'm very appreciative!

·
Banned
714 Posts
It seems that you already set you heart on the Breitling, then go get it. The golden rule here is to buy the one that sings to you the most.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems that you already set you heart on the Breitling, then go get it. The golden rule here is to buy the one that sings to you the most.
Great Point!

I did have my heart set on the Breitling, and if money were no object I still think I would buy it. It is just so damn beautiful IMO. Maybe I should hold off on my purchase until I can buy what I absolutely want instead of making the ORIS compromise....Unfortunately, this requires patience - lots and lots of it.

·
Banned
714 Posts
Great Point!

I did have my heart set on the Breitling, and if money were no object I still think I would buy it. It is just so damn beautiful IMO. Maybe I should hold off on my purchase until I can buy what I absolutely want instead of making the ORIS compromise....Unfortunately, this requires patience - lots and lots of it.
If you settled with a subtitute I doubt that it would "satisfy your craving"

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
Hello everyone,

First time poster here. I really like the look of the Breitling Transocean Day/Date, pictured below:

View attachment 3056746

That said, I'd like to get opinions regarding what other options I should consider in this price range. I really like the classical design/style of this watch, so I would not like to deviate from it too much. That said, I'd prefer arabic numerals as opposed to tick marks on the face, and I would prefer the case back to be transparent, to be able to see the movement.

To be completely honest, I also like small windows on the face that show some of the watch's movements too; however, I realize this would be extraordinarily difficult to get at this price point, so I'm not banking on being able to acquire such a thing. But there are loads of smart people on this site whose knowledge far outweighs mine....so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps me out. I'm new to this hobby so everyone's input is greatly appreciated.
Go to an AD and try one on, I can almost guarantee that you will buy it. That's how it happened with me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everybody has been extraordinarily helpful. Thank you all!

Now any advice on where to look to make a purchase at a good price? As a newbie, I haven't read up on all the pros/cons of all the available buying options. I'll look into that on my own if it doesn't belong on this thread. I've already gotten more help/insight than I expected!

·
Registered
17 Posts
To give you an example on price, my wife ended up paying about $6k all in for my Transocean Day Date at a fancy jewelry store. Here's the exact same piece on Watchmaxx for $3550:
https://www.watchmaxx.com/watch/breitling-transocean-day-date-men-A4531012/G751-437X

I've never bought from Watchmaxx so can't personally vouch, but I've seen other threads saying it's solid. I'd do some research and see if you feel comfortable enough to buy online.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts