WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
O ye faithful Omegamaniacs b-)

on a recent trip to Vanuatu the special question was asked with this perfect scenery.
this was taken at paradise cove

now back on topic of watches.
we have picked out the ring, so that side is done, now is the hard task of finding my wedding watch |>

we recently went into an AD on the weekend to have a look at my grail watch, which is an IWC porto 5001. absolutely stunning watch, but at $13,000AU, its alittle too expensive.
my beautiful
Fiancé had agreed to get this, but i simply do no want her to spend soo much on my watch.

what im looking for is advice from you WIS on this forum, and shoot me some recommendations and advise on what i have on my wish list.

of course there are some prerequisites as i will highlight below:

cost must be $6000 to at MOST $8000 AU
i would like exclusive brands not that well known to non WIS ie. IWC, jaeger, Panerai etc sorry i know this in an Omega forum but Omegas are not on my list :-(
40mm+ in size

i know i wont have alot of options, but thats what this forum is here for, to discuss what we love best :-!

now onto pics of what i have in my mind atm.. please provide me with costs if you guys can:thanks

Grail (out of my range)
5001 (pic curtesy of Meric TZ) $13,000AU

IWC bigpilot, Cost: ? i would say same as the 5001
pic curtesy of CrashWong TZ

IWC porto chrono. cost probably more in my reach, although still a stretch i think
pic curtesy of timU TZ

Panerai 000. Cost: ?

Panerai 005. Cost: ?

Panerai 104. cost: ?

is there anything from Jeager LeCoultre in my price range?

im waiting to hear from you guys what you think?

please help me :)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about the prices of some of those, however is Rolex not on your list neither???
im open to suggestions :-!
hence why i created this thread. hopefully everyone can contribute

i have never really looked at any Rolex's, but since growing up i have seen alot of fakes, so i guess thats what puts me off them.
im afraid when people see they are going to ask "is that fake?" :)

·
Premium Member
14,861 Posts
Well i would certainly be recommending Rolex, i wouldnt let the aspect of people asking you whether it is fake or not put you off ;), but i would say anything like a Date-Just or a Daydate is a VERY fine Timepiece.

·
Registered
343 Posts
O ye faithful Omegamaniacs b-)

on a recent trip to Vanuatu the special question was asked with this perfect scenery.
this was taken at paradise cove

now back on topic of watches.
we have picked out the ring, so that side is done, now is the hard task of finding my wedding watch |>

we recently went into an AD on the weekend to have a look at my grail watch, which is an IWC porto 5001. absolutely stunning watch, but at $13,000AU, its alittle too expensive.
my beautiful
Fiancé had agreed to get this, but i simply do no want her to spend soo much on my watch.

what im looking for is advice from you WIS on this forum, and shoot me some recommendations and advise on what i have on my wish list.

of course there are some prerequisites as i will highlight below:

cost must be $6000 to at MOST $8000 AU
i would like exclusive brands not that well known to non WIS ie. IWC, jaeger, Panerai etc sorry i know this in an Omega forum but Omegas are not on my list :-(
40mm+ in size

i know i wont have alot of options, but thats what this forum is here for, to discuss what we love best :-!

now onto pics of what i have in my mind atm.. please provide me with costs if you guys can:thanks

Grail (out of my range)
5001 (pic curtesy of Meric TZ) $13,000AU

IWC bigpilot, Cost: ? i would say same as the 5001
pic curtesy of CrashWong TZ

IWC porto chrono. cost probably more in my reach, although still a stretch i think
pic curtesy of timU TZ

Panerai 000. Cost: ?

Panerai 005. Cost: ?

Panerai 104. cost: ?

is there anything from Jeager LeCoultre in my price range?

The prices of the 000 is about $5k AUD and 005 about 5500AUD. The 104 will take you up into the 7k range.

I echo the sentiments above, don't go past a Rolex Datejust.. this sounds like a watch you'll have forever and will want to pass down to your children at some stage. As much as I love Panerai, I don't see it being that kind of watch. The IWC's would be my second choice. IWC discount don't they? Maybe if you shop about locally you can work out IF the IWCs you like are in fact within your range range :think:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Amanda.
i will have alook at some of the Rolex range, ill be honest and say i dont know much about them, but to me it just doesnt tingle my heart as much as the IWC's and Pams
i want something bigger sizewise, do they come in 40+?

i see your in Melbourne too! howdy
the only place to get IWC's for me in melbourne would be WOS on collins st.
ive chatted with crashwong from TZ who has a big pilot and stated the list price is $17,000AU and that IWC have raised by 8%

·
Registered
343 Posts
thanks Amanda.
i will have alook at some of the Rolex range, ill be honest and say i dont know much about them, but to me it just doesnt tingle my heart as much as the IWC's and Pams
i want something bigger sizewise, do they come in 40+?

i see your in Melbourne too! howdy
the only place to get IWC's for me in melbourne would be WOS on collins st.
ive chatted with crashwong from TZ who has a big pilot and stated the list price is $17,000AU and that IWC have raised by 8%
Hi there! Yeh WOS is the best place to go :-! the BP costs a bomb hey! A DJ might not suit then, they are only 36mm. There is the Day-Date in 40mm but I'm thinking that'll cost way more than 17k of the BP (which you'd never get discounted due to its popularity I'm guessing).

I'm going to send you a PM shortly, I know where there's a used BP locally.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
If you can find one in your range I'd go for the 5001 either black or white.

If you look at Rolex check out the GMT model. I bought this last Tuesday and it's a fabulous watch IMO

·
Registered
682 Posts
From the list you provided, I'd take the IWC Port Chrono with white dial and blue hands. I'd also ask the AD to swap out the blue gator strap for the black. Would look amazing.

I also love the GMT Master IIc a whole lot.

Those are my top 2 choices. Good luck and congrats!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
to be totally honest with you (and try not to put too many noses out of joint), but i'd take a total pass on all things Panerai for a wedding watch. It's a decent amount of money for a wall-clock that really has no complications

i'm a bit of a features lad, so in that range i'd probably go for for the Rolex GMTII... either that or one of those lovely IWC's. Now those really are a treat for the eyes!

but hey, thats me! (don't shoot!!)
:rodekaart

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Okay, tomee, here's the run-down.

IWC Portuguese Chrono $8,800rrp
IWC Big Pilot $17,200rrp
IWC 5001 7 Day $13,800rrp

I'm not up on Panerai prices.

Now, have you considered something like the IWC Jacques Cousteau Limited Edition Aquatimer? Rec retail is around $7.5K on a rubber strap.
Or, have you looked at anything in Breitling's Navitimer range? Quite a few models available in 42+mm range. On a leather or croco strap, you could get one for under eight grand easy.
Regarding J-Le Coultre, excellent brand with not much under ten grand if it's over 40mm, but who knows? You might find something in your budget that you like.
Best to get your butt to your friendly neighbourhood AD and have a closer look.
Best of luck.

teeritz

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
thanks guys.

spogehead: i quite like that bezel.. is that a ceramic one?

OzOmega: i like Panerai's since imo i quite like a watch that is unique and exclusive some may say.

Teeritz: thanks for the prices. im not quite sure on the jacques just yet.
what are the prices on the reverso like?
i do like the top gun IWC's.
i was a HUGE fan of the navitimers before, but i dont know, i think ive lost the luster for them now (my god what has happened to me)
i want to try and spend as little as possible but get alot of watch... Yes i know i sound like a typical tightarse customer lol

looks like i will pay WOS another visit this weekend hopefully ;)
just hard to go into an AD and try on watches and waste the salespersons time after trying them all on to only walk out without buying anything..

·
Registered
343 Posts
Tomee that dealer we were PM'ing about has a GMT II Ceramic bezel now, you can at least try one out. I dont think there's too many about in ADs at the moment. Its a masterpiece for Rolex, big and bold and that new bracelet is devine!

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Teeritz: thanks for the prices. im not quite sure on the jacques just yet.
what are the prices on the reverso like?
i do like the top gun IWC's.
i was a HUGE fan of the navitimers before, but i dont know, i think ive lost the luster for them now (my god what has happened to me)
i want to try and spend as little as possible but get alot of watch... Yes i know i sound like a typical tightarse customer lol

looks like i will pay WOS another visit this weekend hopefully ;)
just hard to go into an AD and try on watches and waste the salespersons time after trying them all on to only walk out without buying anything..
Reverso prices start at around 6.5 grand for the smallest men's sized model. Which is a fantastic watch...if you live in 1982.
Feel free to waste their time...all they have is time.
(Whenever a customer laughs at that line, I'm always amazed.)

teeritz

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Even though you said no Omega, maybe you have never seen an Hour Vision before? Very nice watch...

Also, off the top of my head, Zenith has some beautiful watches. It is hard for me to beat an IWC of any kind right now. You could also MAYBE find a Patek in your price range, probably not new though.

Good Luck!

P.S. That Rolex GMT is not a wedding watch, maybe a wedding gift? Am I confused? I thought this was to be a watch worn for the ceremony?

·
Registered
227 Posts

Anything but a Panerai...they are the worst kind of status symbol. All fluff, no substance and any remnants of the original company/history are long since dead and buried. Your wedding day deserves more than inconsequential window dressing strapped to your wrist.

As far as the style of watch...have you looked at Blancpain?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
If money wasn't an issue, I'd go for the IWC 5001. Absolutely love that watch.

But when isn't money an issue? ;-)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Tomee, I would go with a white dialed watch to wedding. Normally I would go with black dialed watch with black suit, but since wedding is so grand thing and when bride is usually wearing also white, that IWC with white dial and blue hands would look great.

Last 3 watches, (Panerai?) do not look like wedding watches to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tomee,
I would really consider Rolex as well. I got married 6 months ago and i received a DateJust with white face, roman numerals and fluted white gold bezel. My wife picked it out on her own (she's got good taste). =)
I have watches that cost more, but this watch is worth much more than any watch i will ever own or hope to own.

-Rob

1 - 20 of 49 Posts