WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
412 Posts
My choice is the Panerai. For the simple reason, I cannot stand people coming up to me asking "Is that a Rolex, Is it real" LOL

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you are a fan of either brand, those are really great representatives. I personally prefer the Pam but that's just me.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
For me, I'd choose the Rolex, however, the 36MM. My opinion is based on a personal dislike of the same two watch case styles being used in everything Panerai, as well as attempts by the brand to reincarnate itself as anything more significant than a manufacturer of Italian marine clocks. I don't like anything about Panerai aesthetically, historically or from a horological perspective, even though I had a bit of an a-ha moment when handling some as they seem built well. Even its P-3000/9000 movements and decoration are, IMO, uninspired and deserve to be kept under solid case backs.

This is my opinion (tried to state that every step of the way here) and the OP asked....so no flaming!

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Rolex. Pam is nice but the DJ is timeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ II is HUGE, that might be a plus for someone but it's...way too big for my wrist and my taste.

I'll go for the PAM.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
DJ...Pam is what 44-45mm.? They say that Pam's and ..... length are equal on the men who own them....
Rolex it's X20.......;-)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
of these two, the PAM. That panerai is a beautiful, bold, unique, design, while the datejust lacks a certain 'wow' factor.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Panerai is an acquired taste that I haven't acquired yet...
Go for the Rolex.

Reactions: lmcgbaj

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I would like an all around watch, casual to dressy. .
What part of dressy is a Panerai? Maybe a Radiomir at best, but a Luminor is anything but dressy.

The Pam is a fun watch with jeans and a polo, but it cannot do dressy. At least I cannot do dressy with a Luminor as it would look silly. That watch is thicker than a slice of bread.

DJ2 is perfect for what you want out of the two.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
DJ2 will be my choice as per the OP's requirement of being all around watch.

That said, I like the PAM better.

Reactions: ilitig8

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
What part of dressy is a Panerai? Maybe a Radiomir at best, but a Luminor is anything but dressy.

The Pam is a fun watch with jeans and a polo, but it cannot do dressy. At least I cannot do dressy with a Luminor as it would look silly. That watch is thicker than a slice of bread.

DJ2 is perfect for what you want out of the two.
This was everything I was going to offer. I have both, and the PAM is a weekend tool watch that I consider purely casual and not at all dressy. Too thick. But at only 42mm, the only PAM I'd consider. I have the DJII with faceted bezel which I wear for both casual and dress; some like the smooth bezel. And some just don't care for it, at all.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
As a dress to dress down watch I have to say the DJ, even though it is tied with two others as my least favorite Rolex watches.

I much prefer the Panerai to the DJ on just another watch basis but in my opinion does not belong with a suit.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
This was everything I was going to offer. I have both, and the PAM is a weekend tool watch that I consider purely casual and not at all dressy. Too thick. But at only 42mm, the only PAM I'd consider. I have the DJII with faceted bezel which I wear for both casual and dress; some like the smooth bezel. And some just don't care for it, at all.

View attachment 1324682
The blue dial DJ2 is beautiful. I have to confess, I never understood PAMs so I am not the best one to recommend it. The only one I was close to consider was the 512 because of the slim case. That one might work as a dress watch.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts