WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I posted another thread in the afordable watch section about picking a watch for my fathers birthday.

Well I thought I had narrowed it down to just the SUMO but it might be a bit too expensive?? Still haven't gotten the OK from my mother! lol

However, I came across the Samurai and I think it's another watch that my father would really like! I think it's a bit cheaper than the Sumo as well??

Anyways I wanted to ask all of your experts about the difference between the Sumo vs. Samauri Titanium vs Samurai SS

Does anyone know the model number for the SS Samurai? Or is there even one?

I'm going to assume that the Titanium is very light and durable... is it more durable than the SS version?

Other than a few differences in looks is the SUMO really that much better?

If someone was getting the Samurai, which is better to get, the Titanium or SS?

I've never had a Ti watch before so I don't know much about them... I have read that the Ti is a warmer feeling metal and is obviously lighter...

But what are the other benefits?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jay

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
It sounds like you might need to do some research on the different samurai models first before comparing them to the Sumos.

Start by having a look here:

http://yeomanseiko.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3318BA07329CD633!813.entry

Keep in mind that there are 3 limited edition variants not shown on that thread. Now that you have the model numbers run a few searches for reviews one them so you can try and narrow it down to a particular version of the Samurai. We can then help you compare that to the Sumo.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It sounds like you might need to do some research on the different samurai models first before comparing them to the Sumos.

Start by having a look here:

http://yeomanseiko.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3318BA07329CD633!813.entry

Keep in mind that there are 3 limited edition variants not shown on that thread. Now that you have the model numbers run a few searches for reviews one them so you can try and narrow it down to a particular version of the Samurai. We can then help you compare that to the Sumo.
That's awesome! Thanks a lot for the link and after reading it, I do prefer the Titanium black faced version more than the SS after seeing the differences!

I noticed that the Sumo seems to be about $100 give or take more than the Samurai.

So if someone like the looks of them equally how would you choose which one to pick?

Does it boil down to SS in the Sumo vs Titanium in the Samurai or is there "more than meets the eye?" haha

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I noticed that the Sumo seems to be about $100 give or take more than the Samurai.
Its a rung or too higher than the Samurai in the Seiko heirachy. Better movement, beautiful case design, finish and execution; altogether less ultilitarian than the Samurai's tool watch look and feel.

So if someone like the looks of them equally how would you choose which one to pick?
I went for the Samurai, only because I couldn't find a black or blue dialed Sumo in Thailand. I tried the orange version and didn't like it. The blue Samurai was a winner the moment I tried it on. I Love the look and feel of the watch. Its a real tool.

Does it boil down to SS in the Sumo vs Titanium in the Samurai or is there "more than meets the eye?"
I'm a fan of titanium, its far easier to live with - at least for me - than steel. Light, strong and very stealth, its my metal of choice for wristwatches.

Good luck whichever you choose,

·
Registered
110 Posts
Get the Sumo, its worth the extra price for the 6R15B movement, feel, presence and heft. You will be glad you did.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get both if you can't decide, i still find the samurai markers and hands more classic looking the the Ti fantastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts