WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow watchphiles,

I am coming up on a 40th birthday and the wife has decreed that I am due for a nice watch. A signature piece in my collection. However, I love the feeling of having my watch recognized by the watch heads; whilst thumbing my nose to the trendies (TAG, Rolex, Omegas, Oris, etc). I love pieces you don't see everyday (currently have: Sinn, HMT, Magrette, Vostok, BJW, Fredrique Constant, Orient, etc). But not the freaks IMHO (U-Boat, Uwerks, etc). Im hoping you can recommend a piece that could possibly fit my requirements.

1. Unique (not a lot of people have at work)
2. Sapphire is a must (on this piece)
3. Mostly a dressy/office work to dinner (no divers or crazy busy chronos)
4. Would LOVE a hand winder, but automatic okay, in house even better
5. Within 1k-3.5k (may go over for right watch to about 4k max)

Here's whats speaking to me. I would love to see if I am missing anything based on my requirements. Also, wrist shots always appreciated!

1. Limes
+ Unique
+ German
+ Ickler Case
- the name via english to some
- Servicing?

2. Cuervo Y Sobrinos
+ Unique
+ Reportedly good service
+ Free cigar humidor
- faux havana mystique
- common ETA/considered fashion-ey

3. Grand Seiko
+ Workmanship/Quality unmatched
+ Respected by the watch-heads
+ In house (technically)
- reportedly costly to service
- some people scoff at me for "just a seiko."

4. NOMOS
+ German Bauhaus
+ Handwinders!
+ Sapphire
- Durability?
- Is it becoming trendy due to the forums/blogs?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are you only looking for new from an AD or is grey market or resale fine too? I would consider Glasutte Original or maybe even you could squeeze a JLC in there second hand... Those would be the two brands I would be looking at for a more dressy office watch.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,576 Posts
GS mechanical will be over budget, tho, won't it? Discounts don't seem that easy to find.

Spend a bit of time checking through the German brands on WatchBuys.com. Dornblueth 99.0 manual would be one, but there's a bunch of others. And WatchMann.com is worth a look; they're ADs or distributors for several German brands as well.

RGM, perhaps.

A Hentschel in steel *might* fit under the budget. It'd be close, especially since they raised prices this month. One downside: 4 month wait period. (The pain!!!!!!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a Cuervo. I bought it on a whim years ago when it was on sale. I wanted a fun watch for a friend's wedding. It doesn't get a lot of wrist time because of its size and because I eventually ended up getting a Reverso which became my go to square cased watch.

That being said, I really like the Cuervo. It's nicely finished and exceptionally comfortable on the wrist due to the curved contours of the case. I would definitely wear it more often if it was a little smaller.

Here are a couple of photos.

Floor Laminate flooring Flooring Hardwood Wood flooring

Wrist Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Material property

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Junghans
Union Glashutte
Hentschel (sp?)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ProfessorElk

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
You're talking about unique design-wise or just brands not commonly considered or known by non watch heads/WIS?

JeanRichard, Bremont have unusual multi-piece case designs, Zenith is fairly uncommon and with inhouse movement, 36,000bph but may be slightly over-budget.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you only looking for new from an AD or is grey market or resale fine too? I would consider Glasutte Original or maybe even you could squeeze a JLC in there second hand... Those would be the two brands I would be looking at for a more dressy office watch.

New from an AD/Grey Market is okay. Second hand would have to be something special... JLC could be in the Category.. But isn't JLC kind of well known?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're talking about unique design-wise or just brands not commonly considered or known by non watch heads/WIS?

JeanRichard, Bremont have unusual multi-piece case designs, Zenith is fairly uncommon and with inhouse movement, 36,000bph but may be slightly over-budget.
Unique brands. Unique design as well, just not something too weird. I want my work brethren to be like "oh whats that? Thats impressive" Not "why did he think that was cool? Because its __________? (insert name brand here)"

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think if your on these forums it's instantly recognizable, however that is population that is much smaller than we realize... Otherwise I think if it isn't Rolex or Cartier or maybe Omega or Panerai, your average person won't know a JLC from a Tissot.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here's two - Stowa & Junghans - that are somewhat uncommon but I've read good things about.
They're actually a couple I've been researching lately but got distracted by a Speedmaster and can't see anything else at the moment.

Stowa TO2
I actually asked about swapping the ETA with a handwind and the response was yes but might need a different crown.
Might be too similar to your Sinn though.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

Junghans Meister Chronoscope
I haven't looked too deeply here but on aesthetics alone, I love it.
Different from Nomos but in my opinion, just as clean and refined.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
For something unusual that still looks like a traditional watch, you might try the ML Retrograde (the original) or the ML
Jour et Nuit. Both of these are handwinders built on repurposed Unitas 6497/8's.

If chrono's are of interest, GP 8020 or 4956 families are good, used choices. GP also has the Vintage 1945, rectangular models.

Less of a bargain would be the simpler UN dive or pilot watches.

I also agree that Jean Richards could work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get a second hand Grand Seiko. Very cool and unique if you got a spring drive. If you change your mind on it you wouldn't lose much flipping it.

A Nomos would be very cool too!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts