WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new to the watch world, and am looking for a new watch. My old watch was a pretty average Guess watch. I was looking at overstock.com and found a couple I like in my price range (+/- $200). I especially liked an Accutron Oxford, and was wondering what you guys thought about it. Alternatively, I was wondering if you had any suggestions. Im looking for a SS bracelet that will look good whether Im dressed up or down. I also saw a Jacques Lemans Geneve watch, but reading the threads there seems to be quality issues there? Quality is definately a priority for me. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hmmm. Around $200, quality is imprtant... I'd say SEIKO!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Stake out TJ Maxx and get yourself a Hammy Chrono for UNDER $200 or Daniel Mink diver for under $300.:)
Search TJ Maxx under this forum and you will know what the hype is about...:-X
Ooops, I may have created another red eyed TJ Maxxer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys, and keep the suggestions coming!! But as for the Accutron any insight? what about lucien piccard or jacques lemans? I like the idea of overstock of shopnbc and being able to get more value for the coin. Again thanks for the responses and look forward to hearing more from you guys.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Welcome to WUS and Affordables bjones!
Hopefully we'll help you narrow things down a bit.
Personally I think Jacques Lemans has some really nice looking watches.
If you go thru SNBC there's always the 30 day return option if there's a problem.
As for the tjmaxx option, those guys were incredibly lucky to get such great deals but I'd not count on such luck personally.
Fun to stroll in and hope to strike it big, but it's random at best.
Hope you enjoy visiting here and please post often!

·
Registered
149 Posts
You will find the feedback from these forums helpful. I just purchased a Vostok because of some postings here. If you want to feel comfortable with your purchase, Citizen and Seiko are very much in the affordable category with a great selection of movements and styles. And, no matter what you decide, there is always the next watch and the next etc. etc. - and then you wind up - so to speak - posting on these forms - :-!

·
Registered
401 Posts
What I personally find confusing about the Jacques Le Mans brand is that some of its watches are Swiss made, while others are either described as Jacques Le Mans "Geneve/of Switzerland"(no Swiss made), or only Jacques Le Mans (Japanese movt.) :-S Having said that, I do find some of their watches to be very attractive, in terms of looks. I can't say how good they are, especially because of the three apparent "quality levels" they have.
I recommend you to inform yourself how Jacques Le Mans defines their three apparent "quality levels", (Swiss Made, Geneve? :-S, Japanese movt.), before making any final decisions about your purchase. Ask the seller if he/she can explain the differences. If he/she can't, then go somewhere else to inform yourself and to make your purchase.
What I'm trying to say is that at least I can't tell if Jacques Le Mans is a Swiss company that has its watches assembled in Switzerland, Japan/Asia, or both!
Maybe someone else at this forum can enlighten us.

MMT
"Geneve" is a collection and is made in Geneve. They also say "Swiss Made" on them. They also have lower cost models with Japan movements.
Its not that mind boggling really.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts