WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I am new member here. I want help on choosing my next watch. I own a Tissot T-touch (the all black rubber bracelet version), and I am pretty happy with it. I want to buy a new watch which has a more "classy look"(tough the T-touch also has it, while being "young-looking"). I would generally like a watch that would look nice on a blazer and a formal shirt. I was thinking maybe of a Tissot La Locle. I also loved the movie "Inception" and Leo`s Tag Heuer in it(although I read a couple of negative opinions on Tag Heuer, regarding mainly their quartz models - I hope). Thanks to the forum I found the exact model :) - Carrera - WV211B.BA0787

So I would like opinions on these two watches or similar to them. Give me ideas for similar watches within that budget (1000 - 1500 $). I know the Tag may cost more, but I haven`t visited a dealer in my country(I don`t think buying an expensive watch on-line is safe). I know for sure that the "Le Locle Power Reserve" costs about 1000$ here.

Here are some criteria for the watch:

1.It must be branded - meaning mainly a swiss watch
2.Automatic movement - very important for me !!!
3.NO gold or rubber on it - I think gold looks bad on a young man, and I already have a nice rubber-bracelet watch.
4.Preferably a SS bracelet , maybe a leather one, but that would go down in my final consideration(i just don`t think leather is durable at all)
5.Some function like showing the date or the day - not that important.
6.I would like to see some watches with blue dials suitable for the rest of the criteria.

Cheers mates

·
Registered
545 Posts
Here are some criteria for the watch:

1.It must be branded - meaning mainly a swiss watch
2.Automatic movement - very important for me !!!
3.NO gold or rubber on it - I think gold looks bad on a young man, and I already have a nice rubber-bracelet watch.
4.Preferably a SS bracelet , maybe a leather one, but that would go down in my final consideration(i just don`t think leather is durable at all)
5.Some function like showing the date or the day - not that important.
6.I would like to see some watches with blue dials suitable for the rest of the criteria.

Cheers mates
Maurice Lacroix is a good choice. Prices have come up in the past couple of years, but I think they are worth it. Also check out Chronoswiss and the Longines Master Collection. My suggestions are a bit higher than your price range....sorry about that.

Regards,
R

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tissot le locle is a great idea but some others are:

Hamilton viewmatic Hamilton Watch Comes on leather or steel, good reliable ETA movement

Longines master collection either the 38mm two subdial chrono which is my personal favorite or others Amazon.com: Longines Master Collection Mens Silver Dial Automatic Chronograph…

Ball engineer II or cleveland express
Topper Jewelers. Authorized Dealers of Tag Heuer, Omega, Michele, Corum and many more

Maurice lacroix and GO are both great suggestions as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
954 Posts
My advice: check out BALL watches.

Engineer II Classic 40mm NM1020C-S1-YE

Trainmaster Streamliner 39mm NM1060D-SJ-BK

Trainmaster Cleveland Express 41mm NM1058D-SCJ-BE

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The brand name requirement is because its a busienss environment right?

In which case i have a question...how do people spot your brand name anyway? At the usual distance and angle, theres no way anyone can read the text on the dial unless you deliberately position the watch for them to see or they proceed to invade your personal space. I definately cant read the text on my colleague's watch dials unless they have their wrist stationery on the table and i am standing right next to them on the correct side.

And if others cant see the brand name cant you get something that looks good but costs less?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Take Homer Simpsons advice. If you want to look like a business man, then ask for receipts everywhere you go. Don't worry about the watch....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Take Homer Simpsons advice. If you want to look like a business man, then ask for receipts everywhere you go. Don't worry about the watch....
:-d:-d:-d:-!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Hello there, and welcome! I had a TAG Aquaracer Quartz. Loved it. Built like a tank, and was with me through life's many adventures. I recommend it. Ultimately I ended up flipping it in favor of Omega. Dont worry about that part yet. But there will be more watch purchases : P

If I were you, I would go for the Le Locle. Beautiful watch with excellent attention to detail. I especially like the guilloche dial! Its perfect for the office.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all,

I still have plenty of time left to hesitate. I liked most of the ideas(especially the Longines Master Collection). I`ll have to go around the stores to find prices and take them into consideration also. Any opinions on the TAG Heuer - Carrera?(I have to admit it - I`m very easily manipulated by commercials on TV or at a movie o|)

Does anyone know a cheaper, yet reliable on-line seller in the EU?

Keep the ideas coming, I`m sure this topic will be used by someone with a similar dilemma in the future.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Everyone on this forum will tell you that TAG Heuer is overpriced due to marketing, there may be some truth there, but it didn't matter to me when I picked it up a Carrera in the store. I needed to have it.

There are other brands that are a better deal, but buy what you like and you will never regret it. :-!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
i like the ball cleveland express blue dial suggestion or engineer II. very classy and great looking watches that look a little different ( esp. the express) than your standard dressy watch. i'd also look at the stowa marine original line. ( yeah...it's german but with an automatic swiss movement. stowa is very well respected on WUS for a great quality product and customer service)

if it were me, i'd choose a classic "dressy" diver like a used omega seamaster bond or breitling superocean heritage.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wrist shot of the Ball Cleveland Express.

It is my "businessman" work watch. With a little digging I'm pretty confident you can find one in your price range.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
If 2nd hand was an option the Omega Aqua Terra (Cal. 2500 co-ax.) would be a nice option IMO.
One went for ~$1.050 on TZ-UK today.

/Stefan

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would be looking at Longines, Ball, and Baume and Mercier

·
Registered
286 Posts
Maurice Lacroix would fit the bill, I got mine about tr time I entered the working world and it does great with a suit or dressier clothes. The Ball recommended here is also a very nice watch. If your good at bargaining and the dealer you go to is willing to play along I bet you could get a tag down into your comfortable price range. Go with what your heart says abs what your wallet can afford.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts