WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got these four watches where I have an idea where they're from, but I haven't gotten that confirmed by anoyne who knows their stuff.

These first two are a couple of Lemanias after my grandfather. My grandmother believes the one on the right was bought in the mid 50's and the other one in the early 60's. Both are wind-ups.

Actually used them both a lot, especially the one on the right.

Then there's these two I got for next to nothing at a flea's market thing a few years back. both are broken(sadly) The Left one is a Felca that a 80+ year old local watchmaker believed to be from the early 40's. The other is believed to be a mid 70's diving watch. The text inside reads "Paul Maillardi Super-Automatic" And "25 jewels Incabloc"

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Hi and welcome to WUS.
You have some interesting watches there, true vintage and great makes. Perhaps you would enjoy looking through the many adverts posted in the "ECLECTIC ADVERTS" thread, you may find a match or close match to all your watches, even if you can't find your exact model or make, you may find a similar style!
Holding the cursor over each ad should show the date of each advert.

Cheers, Bob.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I would expect both of the Lemania watches to have a movement from the Lemania 3000 family:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Lemania 3000
Given their looks, I suppose your grandmother is right about the mid 1950s and the early 1960s.
The Felca might be from the early 1940s, but I wouldn't exclude late 1930s.. The diver looks 1960s/1970s to me- there's probably an ETA or AS inside. Couldn't find any Paul Maillardi in Mikrolisk, so it might be a private label brand, but just that it isn't in Mikrolisk doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome to WUS.
You have some interesting watches there, true vintage and great makes. Perhaps you would enjoy looking through the many adverts posted in the "ECLECTIC ADVERTS" thread, you may find a match or close match to all your watches, even if you can't find your exact model or make, you may find a similar style!
Holding the cursor over each ad should show the date of each advert.

Cheers, Bob.
I will do that. Thanks!

I would expect both of the Lemania watches to have a movement from the Lemania 3000 family:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Lemania 3000
Given their looks, I suppose your grandmother is right about the mid 1950s and the early 1960s.
The Felca might be from the early 1940s, but I wouldn't exclude late 1930s.. The diver looks 1960s/1970s to me- there's probably an ETA or AS inside. Couldn't find any Paul Maillardi in Mikrolisk, so it might be a private label brand, but just that it isn't in Mikrolisk doesn't mean anything.
I haven't had them open in a few years, but I remember them looking very similar inside. So I would expect them to the the same kind of watch but different model dials. Even if the Felca is late 30's, would it be a possible story that this had been used by a German soldier during the occupation of Norway in WWII? I remember reading somewhere that Felca was among those who made watches for the Wehrmacht. It does sort of resemble what German army watches looked like back then. And I have a thing for old military watches.(Used a Bulova A-11 as a "daily" for a years time)

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Yes, Felca did manufacture watches for the German army, but if this one has ever been used by any German soldier, it must have been bought privately by that soldier. This definitely isn't a military issue watch. Copper-coloured dial and blued steel "stick" hands are honestly the last thing I would expect to see in a military piece. No, I think your watch is absolutely civilian. It's a nice piece- it just needs a new crystal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My little collection of vintage wristwatches and pocketwatches

My love for these started back when I was 13-14 and was given a Lemania watch after my grandfather. Wore it every day for a year or so. Then, my family realized they had more of these laying around and gave them all to me(Lucky me, I know)

So let's start
BGJuZin.jpg

First up are my two Lemania watches. The left is believed to be early 60's and the right to be mid 50's. I'm wearing the right one right now too, love that watch. Both after my grandfather.
XNGtVZZ.jpg

Here's a Zenith Defy Quartz. My great grandfather on my mother's side bought this somewhere in the 60's or 70's according to my grandfather.
WCr8E9F.jpg

Mimo Sport my grandmother on my father's side got as a present in 1940. She stopped using it 15-20 years ago when it stopped working.
cUFM8e1.jpg

Here's another two broken watches. These two I found at a flea's market for next to nothing. Felca is believed to be late 30's/early 40's.
The diver is a Paul Maillardi with an automatic movement. I know it's made before 1973 as the first watchmaker mark under the cover is dated to 1973. Late 60s'/early 70's perhaps?
X7Pj3by.jpg

The Felca hasa broken screw somewhere in here, and it needs a service.
QyFbsao.jpg

As for the Maillardi watch, the spring is broken. Both of these two watches is gonne prove quite the challenge to fix unless I wanna pay with an organ or two at a "mainstream" watchmaker.
qHbHPNi.jpg

Here's my three pocket watches. A 1906 Hamilton, 1918 Longines and one unindentified that might be pre-1900.
KUH9kWK.jpg

The longines was bought and given as a gift to my Father's grandfather when my grandfather was born in 1918. It still works, and I use it every time I'm wearing a suit with a vest. (Chicks LOVE this thing)
had an 80+ year old retired watchmaker take a look at it, and he said the movement was in excellent condition. I really love the dial's patina aswell.(As you can see in the first pocketwatch picture)
cuGGnqg.jpg
UTL0pNI.jpg

Here's the movmement in the oldest pocket watch, didn't take a picture of the Hamilton's insides as I didn't open it when taking these.
The last time I tried and have this dated I got an estimate of it being from 1850. That's pretty cool. Doesn't work, sadly, and it needs custom made parts for it to work again.
99gn7xL.jpg

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Re: My little collection of vintage wristwatches and pocketwatches

The Felca has an AS 984:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 984

The "unidentified" PW has a Lepine IV movement- which was used by many French and Swiss manufacturers.

The automatic diver seems to have an AS movement (which one, dunno), at least the balance cock design looks very AS.

As to the Mimo, you might find interesting the fact, that Mimo belonged to Girard-Perregaux.

Chicks are attracted to PWs, you say? Hmmm... Looks like I have to visit a fleamarket soon then! ;-)

The Longines PW and the two Lemanias are the nicest pieces in your collection- in my opinion at least:).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The Longines PW and the two Lemanias are the nicest pieces in your collection- in my opinion at least:).
Oh I definitely agree with you! :D

·
Registered
3,650 Posts

As to the Mimo, you might find interesting the fact, that Mimo belonged to Girard-Perregaux.
Vice versa. Mimo owned GP.

I like that divers watch, look at those hands,very nice. Your grandparents had a good taste of watches, lucky you.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,042 Posts

Two threads merged - one should do the trick. The "Maillardi" does not have an Adolf Schild movement - it is a Felsa movement from the Cal. 4000 series (one of the versions with a date feature):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Felsa 4000

From what I can deduct from the pink pages, the 4000 series started in the mid 1950s, the improved versions (subscript "N" with more rapid date change) came into existence around 1960.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

To me the Lemania on the right looks to be from the late 40s. I have way to many watches from this period so I have seen a few but one can never be certain without looking at the movement as styles can hang around. The one on the left is definitely from the 50s as it has non of the 60s styling in it but it could have been sold in the 60s as the case says late 50s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Actually, if it's late 40's and 50's instead, I'm not gonna complain, that's even better! :D

Here's the movements

The left watch(Newest)
xuCuWEE.jpg

The right one(Oldest)
ANM2QU5.jpg

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

I have to change my tune a bit and say that the older one must be around 1952 as it has the Lemania crown over the name on the dial and 40s and early 50s watches don't as far as I know. They both have the same 30X0 movement so they were top of the line in the day and are very sought after today.

PA089456.jpg
Here is one of my 1940s Lemania watches and you can see it has no crown over the Lemania name.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts

Same movement- Lemania 3000. I would however still not rule out the possibility that the older one is from the 1950s- it has a shock device. Truth be told, I don't know when did Lemania start using shock devices on a larger scale, so... Incabloc itself was patented, if I remember correctly, in 1933, but it only started to be used on a larger scale somewhere around 1950. Give or take a year. Before that, it was used in watches for the German army- a shock device was a requirement these watches had to meet. But here we talk of military contracts, and not the "civilian" market. Lemania was in the SSIH with Omega and Tissot, and the first mass-market Omegas with Incabloc date to 1951-1952, Tissot- roughly the same. 1949, to be precise. Yes, Tissot used a shock device before- Shock-Resist for the calibre 27-3, but I haven't seen a Tissot equipped with Incabloc made before 1949- that's when the cal. 27-1 was introduced. That's 2 years ahead of Omega. Now, the big question is- did Lemania introduce the Incabloc device into the mass-produced watches earlier than Tissot and Omega, or did the entire group start to use Incabloc at roughly the same time (1949-1951). Really, I don't even pretend to know the answer.
Moving to the newer watch- it does look 1950s, but it's still possible that it could have been bought in 1960 or 1961, many watches produced then still weren't that close to the general sort of design so often associated with the 1960s.
A good example of that is the Omega Seamaster Calendar, ref. CK2849, introduced in 1956. And discontinued... in 1962. Have a look at it:
OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database
Is it possible to call it a 1960s watch? Hardly. Could it have been bought new in the 1960s? Oh yes.
And that's why I cannot so easily dismiss the theory about that Lemania being a 1960s piece. There are just too many plausible explanations, in both cases, that I just can't rule any of them out.

Reactions: Parptarf

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm interesting, very interesting. The fact that these are so hard to pinpoint makes them all that mich more special in my eyes. So they're both most likely from the 50's and have the same movement? Which was one of the better ones for it's time?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

...and the first mass-market Omegas with Incabloc date to 1951-1952...
Incablock was put into the Omega Suverän model for the Swedish civilian market during WWII. It is a Swedish special though so not many know of it. It is more or less a military watch with a civilian back so one could say it's a odd man out though.

Hmm interesting, very interesting. The fact that these are so hard to pinpoint makes them all that mich more special in my eyes. So they're both most likely from the 50's and have the same movement? Which was one of the better ones for it's time?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
The Lemania 3000 has a breguet hairspring for extra accuracy so are a bit special. The 3100 was more the consumer oriented movement with a normal flat spring.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts

Here's the watch from the Omega database which mentions the 30T2 PC AM movement as the first Omega calibre to use Incabloc:
Interestingly, it's the apparently only watch from that period in the database to have an annotation like that- as if it was the first mass-market Omega to use Incabloc.
Doing my research in order to identify some Omega quite some time ago, I came across an annotation "the first Omega to use Incabloc". Whether it was this one or not, I can't remember. I'll do some more searching, if it isn't that one, then I'll do my best to find that database entry.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

Here's the watch from the Omega database which mentions the 30T2 PC AM movement as the first Omega calibre to use Incabloc:
Interestingly, it's the apparently only watch from that period in the database to have an annotation like that- as if it was the first mass-market Omega to use Incabloc.
Doing my research in order to identify some Omega quite some time ago, I came across an annotation "the first Omega to use Incabloc". Whether it was this one or not, I can't remember. I'll do some more searching, if it isn't that one, then I'll do my best to find that database entry.
You are correct they use the 30T2 PC AM movement.
Omega Suverän samling | Klocksnack

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

Those two in the second picture are redicilously good looking. I want that black one! :D
I see you got great taste. 1940s watches are the stuff of dreams. :)

I like the second ad there they apologize for the lack of watches as they are so popular. They don't mention the war only problems with import. They also say finely a wrist watch with the precision of a pocket watch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts