1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have found my watch.
HAMILTON KHAKI AVIATION DAY DATE AUTOMATIC - H64615735

http://www.photowatches.eu/thumbnails.php?album=878&page=5 **EDIT

I went to Jared, to try it on, and its just beautiful.
Fits nice, looks nice, and feels nice.
Problem is, Jared wants around $900 for it.
So Heres my dilemma.
I can get it new off amazon or any other grey market site for around $635 shipped. 2 Year non manufacturer warranty on movement. Done and Done. I would use my Amazon card and get 6 months interest free financing.
Or.
I get from Jared, open an account with them, and if you spend over a $1000 you get 12 months interest free financing. So only reason I would consider that is, I could get a 2 year manufacturers warranty plus there 3 year cover all warranty ($235) and try and negotiate to get it as close to $1000 as possible.
So I would be opening a line of credit (not sure if I like that idea**), and spending about $400 more. But I would have total coverage on everything for 3 years except for theft.

So i'm very torn, Do I pay a much higher premium for 12 months to be completely protected. Or Do I pay less for 6 months, only protection on movement from an aftermarket dealer....

OR DO I GET USED hahaha.

Help me please?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
For the difference I would probably go for the full factory warranty, but only you can decide if its worth it for you.

As for interest free credit, options vary but if I can keep my cash in the bank longer with no penalty on the price it works for me. Again, only you know your finances.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the difference I would probably go for the full factory warranty, but only you can decide if its worth it for you.

As for interest free credit, options vary but if I can keep my cash in the bank longer with no penalty on the price it works for me. Again, only you know your finances.

Yeah, I agree, I like interest free an just having the extra money in the bank at once. I never spend what I couldnt buy outright, but I like having the extra 'doe in the bank.

Seems we're 1for1 here on what to do.. ahha

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Amazon all the way. My take is that's a nice watch but not incredibly expensive. You saved $400 and It's easy for most watchmakers to fix if you have a problem.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I'd do Jared but negotiate a reduction on something for my wife. (they will) Everybody's a winner!

PS I've bought several watches from Jared and the service was outstanding. They even took back a Rolex I week after I bought it for my wife because she didn't like it. Don't know how common that is but I was happy with them!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd do Jared but negotiate a reduction on something for my wife. (they will) Everybody's a winner!

PS I've bought several watches from Jared and the service was outstanding. They even took back a Rolex I week after I bought it for my wife because she didn't like it. Don't know how common that is but I was happy with them!

Yeah they have a 30 day return policy. Only thing, if im opening an account etc. it would not be worth using. Would have been a waste of credit check an time.
But there service! is what got me thinking.

But were 2/2 on what to do soo I am most definitely not convinced.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I would check the Sales forum and see if you can find a used one with some warranty left on it. If not, Amazon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd go Amazon. Cheaper. Good customer service for returns (in my experience) and no sales tax! I purchased a more expensive watch from them (great price) and things went very smoothly.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If I can interject, I think it really depends on how often you are going to wear the Hamilton.

If it is going to be your daily watch, or something close to that, go with Jared and the extra warranty.

If it is a rotational watch with limited use, go Amazon or grey market. I purchased a Longines at Tourneau and they basically threw in the extended warranty to sweeten the deal. It is a rotational piece that maybe gets three to four days of wrist time a month. In retrospect, the couple of hundred dollars I could have saved by going grey market would have been better for me. It doesn't get enough use for me to be concerned about the additional warranty.

Either way, you are going for a great watch. Enjoy!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think the value is dependent on how long you intend to keep the watch. If you want to enjoy the watch for a few months and then sell to fund another piece, I would go with Amazon...the hit would not be as painful as buying from Jared even with a warranty.

·
Premium Member
8,607 Posts
If you really want the manufacturers warranty, why not buy from Jared and not buy the extra warranty? Most products (including watches I'd imagine) exhibit a bathtub curve for failures - a lot early and a lot late. If it doesn't have a problem in the first year or so, it's not likely to have one for several years. Maybe you could get it down under $900 that way?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
This shouldn't even be close.

Save yourself the money and don't worry in the least about what will happen to that ironclad ETA movement. Paying these jewelry stores full price on their watches is madness.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank You All For Your Responses.
Everyone made very good points.
But the straight forward answers put amazon ahead.

Unfortunately I tend to agree with everyone ahah.
If its my every day watch having the Jared warranty keeps me safe.
And if I plan on keeping it for a long while it helps as well.

But as someone stated Hamilton's movement is legitimate. And the worries would not come soon.
So for just the warranty on the movement it be silly to play the premium for a GMs warranty an not just take the ADs.

As far as the outside. I ware my Seiko everyday to work an all, and I work with my hands an have yet to hurt it (knock on wood). So I feel this Hamilton (which will be my new wrist tan line) I won't have to worry about TOO much. But its always good to have the confidence in the Jared protection.

And lastly the price. If I could get Jared down $200 (not sure how likely) that puts this watch at a price of $695 plus tax soo about 750. Which is about $150 more than Amazon with tax. And thats if by some miracle I can get them that low, which I highly doubt.

So all that being said. Jared seems the smart way if money was no object. If price didn't matter, and if resale had no effect.
But all those things matter to me.

So I'm going to Go with AMAZON....
...Holds Breath....
They have return policys with (restocking fees) so we shall see if my decision bites me in the ass.

Thank You All Again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't buy warranties. Most items don't break within the first 5 years and in the long run or your life you will find that you have saved a small fortune not buying warranties.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Alan Furman..Call ask for Sergio, give him the model #...It will have factory warranty more than likely, but ask if it's important to you...the watches I've bought did.Call the Toll free #.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
My Jared's gives me a nice price break without even asking. Is the price you quoted full retail, or does it contain a discount? Also, how many other watches are you planning to purchase? Developing a relationship is nice and can come in handy in the future. My Jared's gives great service, and I've purchased a few from them. Recently purchased a Tissot Heritage Navigator from them. Asked them to bring it in for me to look at and they did, with 20% down (fully refundable). Turns out, I made the purchase during a special Swiss Watch event they were having and so in addition to the watch with a nice discount, I got a 2-watch winder and some other schwag.

I like gray market and saving money, but it's nice to have an AD that you can trust and go to when needed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts