WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after thinking my purchases were done for the year, temptation in the form of an unexpected (but minor) cash windfall has taken hold of my better judgment. I've been eyeing the Alpina Seastrong Heritage and the Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot GMT. I can get them both for about 2200 total on the grey market.

Links for the interested :

Alpina Seastrong Diver Heritage Automatic Men's Watch 525S4H6 - Seastrong - Alpina - Shop Watches by Brand - Jomashop

Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot Automatic Black Dial Olive Green Textile Men's Watch 748-7710-4164GRFS - Big Crown - Oris - Shop Watches by Brand - Jomashop

So, of it was your cash to burn, would you buy one, both or neither.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
They're totally different watches, but I do like compressor type watches so I will go with Alpina in this case. Oris makes superb watches as well....can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Both are good watches.....but eventhough I own 2 Oris' I think I would pick the Alpina. mainly based on looks.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Both,you're asking us here...

It's a bit you ask for alcohol recommendations from a bunch of people in alcoholic anonymous

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Between the two, i vote Alpina

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Neither for me. The date window position on the Alpina was an unfortunate decision; I mean, it's not even centered between 3 and 4 o'clock.

I like the look of Oris but it's way too big and I'm not a fan of textured bezels if given a choice.

My .02c

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
The Oris is 45mm so I wouldn't buy that.

The other is 42 but with the pushers may wear like a 44 so I'd pass on both.

Remember, you ask

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The Oris looks good but 45mm is beyond my size preference. The Alpina would be a slam dunk except for the date window. What were they thinking?? Maybe it would be possible to get used to the date window but I'd be reluctant to gamble over $1K to find out. For me, it would be neither.

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
I would normally pick Oris 99/100 times over Alpina, but you picked a really nice watch. I'm going Alpina.

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
I'd go with the LLD suggestion. Both of those watches come so close but miss the mark. The date placement on the Alpina kills it. And the Oris is too big.

Another watch that comes to mind is the Schaumburg Aquamatic.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I love Alpina but not that alpina. Too many competing design languages at work. The Oris is okay but does look like a Hamilton...so why not get a Hamilton (and probably pay a bit less too)?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Your question is very vague. Without knowing what watches you currently have or what roll either watch will fill, IMO you are just burning money. Neither watch does anything for me and I can think of dozens of more appealing (to me) watches Id blow 2k on.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts