WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, please bear w/ me. Long time reader, first time post.

I am close to buying a omega soon (in like a month) to celebrate my first year with a very very good company.

Here's the deal, my budget is around 3k but don't want to go too much.
I went to couple of the AD in Atl and I'm just confused as ever.
As far as my need, here's the ranking.
1. Chrono (need for work)
2. Date (I can't seem to remember the date at all)
3. Looks (I know there's personal taste, but I love all the omega looks)

I narrowed to these...
1. Classic Speedmaster pro (even though it doesnt have a date, I found one used and it's stunning. my 3 is overtaking 2 here...)
2. Speedmaster legend: Found and saw both 3359 and 3506, I'm just afraid I buy either one, I'm going to regret not buying the other...lol
3. Speedmaster day/date 3220.50.00: Got everything I need but seems to look clusterd..
4. Seamaster pro chrono: Another everything here..
5. Speedmaster 3210.50.00: Everything, Again.

It seems like everyone that buys SeMP goes out and buys speedy right after... dunno why. Can someone give me a reason?

plz heeeelp!! I don't even have Omega and I'm already hooked. ADs here look at me and gives the look "Are you finally going to buy this time?"

p.s I'm going to Japan (live in US, parents in Japan) this weekend for a week. I guess my dad bought PO (He dives and avid fisherman) and he told me he will give me his 1970's Omega. I remember it was some classy dress type (Manual wind) I will ask for help again if I hit the wall on finding out about that watch.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts

I am close to buying a omega soon (in like a month) to celebrate my first year with a very very good company.

I narrowed to these...
1. Classic Speedmaster pro (even though it doesnt have a date, I found one used and it's stunning. my 3 is overtaking 2 here...)
2. Speedmaster legend: Found and saw both 3359 and 3506, I'm just afraid I buy either one, I'm going to regret not buying the other...lol
3. Speedmaster day/date 3220.50.00: Got everything I need but seems to look clusterd..

It seems like everyone that buys SeMP goes out and buys speedy right after... dunno why. Can someone give me a reason?

plz heeeelp!! I don't even have Omega and I'm already hooked. ADs here look at me and gives the look "Are you finally going to buy this time?"

p.s I'm going to Japan (live in US, parents in Japan) this weekend for a week. I guess my dad bought PO (He dives and avid fisherman) and he told me he will give me his 1970's Omega. I remember it was some classy dress type (Manual wind) I will ask for help again if I hit the wall on finding out about that watch.
I'd get this

In fact I am:) Dec 5th cant come quick enough!!;-)

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Greetings and welcome to Omegaland. Well, you've taken the right approach, by visiting the dealer to see them in person, and you've narrowed it down to some excellent watches.

The Day-Date, Date, and Bond SMPCh (3, 4, and 5) are all powered by automatic Valjoux 7750-based movements (the Black SMPCh uses a c.33xx). In fact, the Speedy Date and SMPCh use identical movements. These are proven, solid, and reliable. The SMPCh is a substantially larger, chunkier watch, and it offers better water resistance. If you ever plan on diving, this is the only one that can handle it.

Then, you have the Speedmaster Professional, which is simply a classic. It's remained virtually unchanged over the past 40 years, and for good reason. The simple, clean, understated design leaves little room for improvement. It's powered by one of, if not the most rugged chronograph movements, ever. No date, manual wind, but if you changed that, it just wouldn't be the same.

Hope that helps a bit, anyway. Good luck in your decision. Really you can go wrong with any of these.

eric

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
There seem to be lots of clean used Omegas in Japan. I heard they trade them in frequently (don't know if thats the reason). I'd look there, bet your dad knows a place. The reason so many people buy Seamasters and then get a Speedy is that the discover this forum and get hooked. Most likely too late for you- save youself the trouble and just get one of each now.
Don

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would definitely go for the classic Speedmaster Moonwatch 3570.50.00 . Perhaps, if you like displaybacks the "saphire sandwitch" 3573.50.00. Buy any of them on the steel bracelet, leather straps can be bought separate for a much better price, steel bracelets are horribly expensive aftermarket.

Date needed? You have a mobile phone? Yes. Or See a computer daily? Yes. A date is not really needed, well, at least not for me.

I got that classic watch first and a seamaster (PO) after. If I was forced to have only one Omega, it definitely would be the Moonwatch 3570.50.00 .

Good luck with your decission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys!!
I'm going do more research on C.33xx movement on this forum more so if I go that route, I know what I'm getting into.

It seems like everyone on this site has Speedmaster pro so I am really leaning that way now.

Spogehead - That was the watch that made me confused:think:.I was so going towards Speedy before I saw that...

eptaz-Thanks for for the description. I will research more on the movement. I do go fishsing a lot and go swimming also. Speedy and swimming? I dunno I prolly wont take chances I guess, and fishing... If I somehow drop it, I would prolly dive without hesitation!!

Don - If I can find some great deals for pre-owned Speedy here in ATL (I don't like ebay or other internet) I wont need chrono right? so may be I can find some deal in SeMP. If its in the same display and w/ good discount, I might just go for it. As far as Japan goes, market over there for used Speedy is not as good as here $$. My co-worker who loves watches says buy used in US, buy new in Japan. He likes IWC and Rolex.. I've seen his collection and its impressive but they just doesn't strike me like Omegas do.

Ozz - You are right.. I just want all the excuses to look at the Omega.;-)

Thanks all again, when I purchase I will post a pic.

Also, if other people has more opinions, please post. I would love to hear someone that owns legends and day/date.
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
100 Posts

I narrowed to these...

how about this one?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts