WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone who's had firsthand experience with either (or both) is welcome
this will be my first seiko auto diver

i have an omega SMP that i've worn extensively over the past few years, but i'd like to phase it out and replace with a seiko auto diver as i'd like to eventually give the omega to my son. (thats not to say i'm going to completely stop wearing the SMP just yet, he's only 6)

i understand that these are two pretty different watches when it comes to aesthetics, but still, just want to see what peoples opinions are.
I know the sumo offers hacking/handwinding, but thats not a dealbreaker for me

any info is greatly appreciated
thank you

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also have an Omega 2254 but have recenlty got a Srp043 on a braclet. It doesnt look too big on the wrist and the face looks fantastic with the arabic numbers. I too want to give my Omega to my son, he's 18 now so best get the most out of it now !! But the seiko is a good looking beater that can be found reasonable priced.
My 2pence
And

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
The Sumo will be head and shoulders above the SRP043. That's not to say that the latter isn't a good watch. After all, these two come in at pretty different price points, so it's reasonable to expect that the Sumo should be better.

In terms of fit and finish though, the Sumo really is an incredible watch.

The only thing I would caution you (and keep in mind this is an area in which I am fully biased), the Sumo does come on a 20mm bracelet that almost immediately begins to taper down to 18mm at the clasp.

On the other hand, the SRP043 has a 20mm bracelet, but it flares out where it meets the case, and "tapers" to 20mm at the clasp.

In other words, you will find that the SRP043 has the more substantial (and I think appropriate) bracelet of the two.

Of course, this is something that could be remedied by an aftermarket bracelet if it was an issue for you.

Essentially, if you like the balance between the bracelet and the case, then the Sumo is the easy victor here.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Both are very good watches and the Sumo's movement is what puts it ahead of the Spork. Look at both dials and see which one you like better as the Sumo has the classic round markers as opposed to the Spork's Sinnish/BR aviator markers. I am currently sporting an original Seiko DE39AZ MM strap on my Spork and have got nothing but compliments on it.

Stan

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Spork and Sumo. Love them all. ;-)

Photo by Yeoman

Yeoman has a great overview of the SRP043:
http://yeomanseiko.wordpress.com/2009/08/29/seiko-4r15-diver-srp043k2/

Physically, the Spork is a bit smaller than the Sumo, both in case diameter (43.5mm vs 44.5mm) and lug to lug height (50mm vs 52mm). It'll fit nicely on smaller wrists. The crystal surface is bigger than the Sumo, so it may wear bigger on the wrist. The Spork has a handsome and legible dial is priced lower than the Sumo. Your call.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would also add that the quality of finish on the Sumo far exceeds that of the flieger diver. Lots of intricate polish/brushed areas.

·
Registered
202 Posts
my 2 cents, but my advice is biased as I have an SRP043K1 on my wrist ;-)

the sumo is more expensive, the crown is not protected, the dial is less clean, date is too much visible, no lume markers at 3, hacking/winding is useless on an automatic (IMHO)

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
There is just no comparison between the Spork and the Sumo. The Sumo is better in every single way except price.

You might prefer the slightly wider clasp of the Spork, or the aesthetics. These are subjective.

In every objective measurable area the Sumo wins. The Spork is a competitor for the Monster.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I don't have Sumo, but after I had a chance to wear my friend's for couple days, I'd say it built well, and segmented in middle-high diver watch, the design will live for 5-10 years from now.

and that is a little bit overpriced for me.

because BM [if I may add as additional comparison] and SRP had slightly lower material quality and cheaper 7s26 and 4R15, which hacking movement 6R15 I think useless in automatic watch though it reflect higher grade movement. So the comparison leaves us in aesthetics matter and subjective choosing. I am not willing to add more hundreds bucks more to gain Sumo. it's addition shouldn't be that higher to gain Sumo class. For me personally, I don't need 6R15 hacking, and I think BM and SRP design can't be said less cool or less nice than Sumo. that's why I'd prefer not Sumo.

it's your call.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the replies guys.
the sumo is really nice and i totally get that this isn't necessarily an apples to apples comparison.
still, as nice as it is I feel like its almost too similar to my SMP and i guess part of the desire to get something news is to get something a little different.

theres something about the Spork that i just love.

can anyone chime in on the best (cheapest) place to purchase?
(was going to give LI watch the business but they are out of stock.)

thanks!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

thanks!
Not sure how LI Watch's online inventory works. Last time I ordered a 007 that was indicated Out of Stock after adding it to the shopping cart, it still arrived in 4 working days. Looks like you can still complete the order for the Spork by adding it to cart and hit the "Complete Order" button at the very bottom. I ordered the 007 using the same procedure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure how LI Watch's online inventory works. Last time I ordered a 007 that was indicated Out of Stock after adding it to the shopping cart, it still arrived in 4 working days. Looks like you can still complete the order for the Spork by adding it to cart and hit the "Complete Order" button at the very bottom. I ordered the 007 using the same procedure.
thats what i was hoping, but marc responded to an email yesterday saying both the rubber and SS versions of the 043 were currently out of stock.
not sure why the website says something like the OM is "temporarily sold out" but other models like the spork are out and not listed as so

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
thanks for all the replies guys.
the sumo is really nice and i totally get that this isn't necessarily an apples to apples comparison.
still, as nice as it is I feel like its almost too similar to my SMP and i guess part of the desire to get something news is to get something a little different.

theres something about the Spork that i just love.

thanks!
I bought it from Seiko seller in my country. I don't know if he willing to do foreign selling. I bought it less than 300US$. Good luck for your hunting.

keep us informed

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Spork and Sumo. Love them all. ;-)

Photo by Yeoman

Yeoman has a great overview of the SRP043:
Seiko 4R15 Diver – SRP043K2 « Yeoman's Watch Review

Physically, the Spork is a bit smaller than the Sumo, both in case diameter (43.5mm vs 44.5mm) and lug to lug height (50mm vs 52mm). It'll fit nicely on smaller wrists. The crystal surface is bigger than the Sumo, so it may wear bigger on the wrist. The Spork has a handsome and legible dial is priced lower than the Sumo. Your call.
Since I got my Spork, it has not left my wrist (other than sleeping... finally got over that). But the Sumo has been nudging at me the whole time. Finally found a black one at a good price I went for it. Should be coming this week. I was hoping it was going to be an either/or, but this post makes me think I'll have to keep both of them.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,150 Posts
That's what I did. If you can't figure out which Seiko to get, get both of them. Works every time for making tough purchase decisions; doesn't help the wallet, though.

·
Banned
2,545 Posts
I recently got a SBDC001 Black Sumo. The case and dial, in short, everything is fantastic. I never owned a SRP043 Spork yet, but it is on my short list.

I agree with Ottovonn, you will eventually, sooner than you think, get both anyway. Buy now both of them, and you will be very happy and satisfied, for sure . . .

Capt. Serdal

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Yup this is what I did. Love - `em both. Favouring Sumo, though, as I'm trying to fly under my better half's radar...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Depending on how you'll use it, the Sumo looks to be more like a diver you could wear in the office. The Spork looks to be more of a tactical tool watch, and has a more outdoorsy feel to it.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,150 Posts
I agree. It's really hard to choose between the two since they both do well in their respective styles: it essentially comes down to tool diver versus dress diver.

Like Turnaround, I first got the Spork and was very satisfied with the watch. I thought the Sumo looked nice, but wasn't really my type of watch: it looked too large with its long lugs. It however kept tempting me whenever I saw pictures of it posted in the forums, and I eventually gave in when I spotted a good deal at the sales section. I haven't been disappointed with my recent purchase. I'm glad that I own them both, but the only problem now is deciding which one to wear (I wore the Sumo for nearly a week before finally giving it a rest.)

On my wrist is the Spork on a flieger strap; the combination really gives off this adventurer's vibe. I tried a notched, thick leather piece similar to the one on my Spork on the Sumo and thought that it didn't look too good on the Sumo. The Sumo oozes class and seems to thrive on metal, but I think a rubber Isofrane will work too.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I agree. It's really hard to choose between the two since they both do well in their respective styles: it essentially comes down to tool diver versus dress diver.

Like Turnaround, I first got the Spork and was very satisfied with the watch. I thought the Sumo looked nice, but wasn't really my type of watch: it looked too large with its long lugs. It however kept tempting me whenever I saw pictures of it posted in the forums, and I eventually gave in when I spotted a good deal at the sales section. I haven't been disappointed with my recent purchase. I'm glad that I own them both, but the only problem now is deciding which one to wear (I wore the Sumo for nearly a week before finally giving it a rest.)
I've worn my Spork for 2, nearly 3 weeks straight. Didn't see that coming at all. Bought it on a whim. If the Sumo hits me the same, I'll be very surprised. I'll make sure I express my findings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts