WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me figure out what to get next. I am in the market for something "everyday dressy" in that I wear a suit and tie to work but dont want a true dress watch. I just turned 50 and am looking to spend around $500 but would hold off for a sale/save up for the right watch. Most days, I wear a Citizen Skyhawk blue angels (I do work in aviation but am not a pilot) or a Seiko SNZG13 on a leather strap. The Seiko is pretty scratched up and it is time to make it a weekend watch. I have always liked the Seiko SDGM003 but now that it is discontinued, the prices are just too high. I have also always like the Hamilton Khaki Field. What I like about the watch/want to find:
  1. Simple face (I am done with so many sub dials, etc on the Citizen)
  2. Detail in the chapter ring such as a raised ring or marks between seconds
  3. Detail in the dial: love that sunburst effect of the SDGM003 and have considered several that have similar effects
  4. Sapphire crystal - strongly preferred
  5. Automatic movement
  6. Most of the time, I dont like Roman Numerals
  7. Thinking about a 40mm case size (I have a 7.25 inch wrist)
  8. will likely buy it on a bracelet and buy a aftermarket leather band and I do prefer the look of leather
  9. I do have a black dial preference but have found white and cream attractive as well
  10. I have always liked the look of field watches but so many are not that dressy

Part of what is driving the decision is the Seiko SNZG13 is badly scratched and for what I paid, it is time to replace that, except as a beater watch.

the Options I have been considering:
  • Admittedly more on the dressy side, the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic (H32515135 ) I love the dial pattern but for some reason, I have not tripped the trigger.
  • The Hamilton Khaki Field (H70515137) it is the look I have been going for with the SNZG13. Not sure why but I have always liked the field but now am hesitating. I do really love the concentric circle detail in the area where the numbers are.
  • I have also considered some option of buying the Khaki Field and something else like an Orient Bambino for when I to dress it up and the Hamilton for more of a daily wear option. Or buying both a Jazzmaster and Field used on Ebay, over time.
  • I also noticed a Khaki Field that seems a cross between aviator and field watch, has a busier dial but no pattern (see last watch photo below)
  • There is also a Tissot Ballade Powermatic 80 that is also on the dressy side but I find the Tissot logo too prominent.
  • One more I have been considering is the Oris Classic Date. This one pushes my budget and would have to be a delayed gratification option but it also seems like something that more dressy, less field but a good cross between the two extremes. It also has the pattern in the outer dial area.

I am hoping others here can suggest some other alternatives. I could be in "analysis paralysis" from shopping so much. I feel like the perfect watch is out there, just have to find it

Thank you!

Some pics, to clarify what I have been looking at:
jazzmaster:

Khaki Field:

Lastly, this one has caught my eye but lacks the detail in the dial yet also seems busier:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Doesn't check all your boxes.
But this Laco Augsburg Blaue Stunde 42mm is definitely a dressy pilot for sure and maybe something to consider.
Sapphire, automatic, sunray pattern, and priced less than your budget.
laco-fliegeruhr-typ-a-augsburg-blaue-stunde-42-862100-front-slide.jpg

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I like the Ball watches also and have owned a couple, great watches. However, since you ask I'll tell you what I really like, the Sinn 556 watches and the Damasko DA 36, simple design, German made and clean good looks. Yes they cost more, but if you want to find a watch that might break the cycle of always feeling you need something nicer one of them just might do it for you.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The Khaki Field is a chameleon, looking great on every strap you put it on, which changes its character. If I were to own just one watch, this is a high contender. This and a Jazzmaster really would circle out a collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Have you thought about the silver faced khaki field? I owned the black one. But the pics I've seen of that silver faced seem to make it ever so slightly more dressy to my eyes

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
You seem to be leaning towards Hamiltons - and there's nothing at all wrong with that. I like the Khaki Field best and the option of getting a Bambino as well is just the icing on the cake for me.

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Hmm. I'd strongly suggest the Seals Model C Explorer. (It's in last stages of production and will be ready soon).

Swiss STP 1-11 automatic movement, sapphire crystal, raised chapter ring, sand-texture dial, matches military/field watch requirements, mixed brushed/polished finish and a simple dial. Match it up with a nice clean strap and it will be plenty dressy. Thin too.

Seals-Model-C-Field-Explorer-21.jpg

seals-seals-model-c-field-explorer.jpg

unknown_large.jpg

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bernhardt GMT2

I have this watch and love it. I think it roughly 2/3 fits what you're asking for, but had to mention it since it does tick a lot of your boxes and fill the role you're seeking in my personal collection.

Sapphire crystal
39.5 mm size
ETA automatic movement
Kinda plain and field watch-ish but with extra details

Of course, if the cyclops or GMT functions are out, then this is out. I love this watch, though, and, like I said, it absolutely fills the role you described for me personally.

GMT2.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In case you are wondering what ever happened to this thread:
Since I posed this, I have spent way too much time shopping. Some highlights:

I considered so many options from Ball, Glycine, Oris, Hamilton, even a Logines (pricey) and others

I purchased a Seiko SARB033 because everyone who reviews it said it was such a great value and such a great watch. Amazon had it on sale for just over $300. I returned it because the whole package just didn't do it for me, I found the 38mm case to be too small (I think it wears small) and the Amazon version had a hardlex crystal. I so tried to love that watch, even when shopping for a leather strap

I ultimately settled on the:
Jazzmaster viewmatic

I got a great deal on a slightly used on eBay and plan to at least replace the crystal on the SNZG and am even considering replacing the dial and hands

I thank all of you for your thoughts, suggestions and input.

So happy with my decision

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Funny I was going to recommend a Seiko SARB033 if nobody else did. Sorry it didn't do it for you.

By the way, the Amazon watches were marked as Hardlex, but it's a misprint. They all have sapphire.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Funny I was going to recommend a Seiko SARB033 if nobody else did. Sorry it didn't do it for you.

By the way, the Amazon watches were marked as Hardlex, but it's a misprint. They all have sapphire.
I dont think so. I read a thread about that very topic and based on the "tap test" I believe the crystal I had was hardlex and not Sapphire. On top of that, based on how the plastic covers were coming off of the band and rear crystal, that watch had been returned at least twice before I got it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I wouldn’t judge plastic coming off the bracelet as evidence you received a returned watch. Seiko factory plastic doesn’t really stay on very well. Also I think it’s highly unlikely Seiko would make a specific run of watches with Hardlex for Amazon, especially considering they’re not an authorized Seiko dealer and are selling gray market. Regardless, if it didn’t do it for you then glad you returned it and got something else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts