WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last year or so upgrading, simplifying and diversifying my entire collection (not just the divers). I'm down from 22 watches to 12 and want to stay at that number. I've added my grail (a speedy pro) and gone from only 2 brands (Seiko and Hamilton) to 9 different brands. One of the last moves I'm cconsidering is to replace the Seiko Tuna with a Helson Shark Diver. Would you make that move? Maybe something different? Opinions welcomed.

My divers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would not make that move. While I like the idea of getting a smaller, thinner dive watch the Helson has too much visual similarity to your other Seiko and the Tudor (just my opinion). I'm not sure it would give you the diversity that you want. Maybe look at brands like Yema or Baltic? Or go with an orange or yellow diver? What about a 12 hour bezel?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the tuna, I know everyone kill me, but I do think the Helson represents a uniqueness although I'm sure it's an homage. Dimensions make it appear like an original design. That all being said I seem to gravitate towards unique case designs these days and yes that would typically mean the tuna wins but it seems like forced uniqueness. Yada yada

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Congrats on the transformation! That's a great collection you've got! I've had a few Tunas, and a Shark Diver 40. I wouldn't make that move personally. Have you toyed with the idea of consolidating a few pieces into one higher end diver?

Reactions: danshort

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m in on the Helson from a design side but would buy a stowa prodiver instead. Just a bit more angular and modern I guess. Have also fancied the helson blackbeard stuff for what it’s worth. Congrats on focusing your collection.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Any and all ideas are welcome. I should mention that I would like to stay away from brands that I already have covered in the collection, so Stowa, Oris, Hamilton and Omega are out. I like everything I've got at this point, including the Tuna, but I like the Willard a little more. I'm not really looking to consolidate any more pieces (I did that to get the Tudor and the Speedy), so it would need to be something I could swap 1 for 1 with the Tuna. Good news is that I'm in no rush and can wait for the right thing.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I think you should go with your gut and if something makes you tingle then go for it. If the Helson is calling your name then do it. If you are looking for ideas to get the ball rolling based on the 4 watches there then maybe a white or green dial diver. Maybe something German like a Sinn or Stowa. Maybe Oris? I don't see a budget for this potential watch. I personally really like the other 3 divers you have, great choices.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
My bad. I missed your previous post. I will keep thinking.

·
Registered
10,713 Posts
If you are interested in expanding with quality micro divers, you could check out Halios.

But having never been a Tuna fan, I would support the Helson route if it appeals to you. My Helson has been a great watch.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Halios is a great option. I second this. Just curious, but which Helson Shark Diver is your first choice? Size and color.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at the 40mm blue dial. I like the Sharkmaster blue dial also, which is slightly larger in diameter but a couple mm shorter lug to lug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would not make that move. While I like the idea of getting a smaller, thinner dive watch the Helson has too much visual similarity to your other Seiko and the Tudor (just my opinion). I'm not sure it would give you the diversity that you want. Maybe look at brands like Yema or Baltic? Or go with an orange or yellow diver? What about a 12 hour bezel?
Definitely second the Yema, their Pearldiver watch would look amazing in this collection but it's a bit pricey for a watch with no sapphire glass.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I think they are both great watches, but the Shark Diver seems like a more original design to me. Comfort wise though, the Sharkmaster looks like it will wear more comfortably on the wrist due to the case design. For the blue Shark Diver, now you have to decide between the aluminum bezel and ETA or sapphire bezel and Miyota. Nice to have choices. That is a difficult choice with a $100 price difference and another debate here.

Reactions: vanir

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Any and all ideas are welcome. I should mention that I would like to stay away from brands that I already have covered in the collection, so Stowa, Oris, Hamilton and Omega are out. I like everything I've got at this point, including the Tuna, but I like the Willard a little more. I'm not really looking to consolidate any more pieces (I did that to get the Tudor and the Speedy), so it would need to be something I could swap 1 for 1 with the Tuna. Good news is that I'm in no rush and can wait for the right thing.
How about a quality, hardass, German diver with your own custom touches? I think your travels may have brought you to this. H2O - Watch - Configure your Helberg Watch, H2o Watch, Kalmar, Watches and Stuff

·
Registered
Baltic, Rolex Sub, Oris 7415, Omega SM600, Seiko 6309, Precista PRS 82, CW C65 GMT
88 Posts
I love Seikos but I’m not a great fan of the Tuna. Having said that it’s a design classic with real heritage something the Helson lacks. Think it’s one for your heart and not the head. Which one really stirs you!

·
Registered
GS SBGH267, GO PanoMaticInverse, Rolex Day Date 118238, Rolex Explorer 2 16570, JLC Master Control
163 Posts
Seems you're set on the puck like dive watches, I'd opt for something a bit out of the norm.
Check out:
Farer - Their chronographs are awesome and have a very diverse color set
Longines Heritage line, I'm a big fan of the sector dial version
Nomos Ludwig/Orion for a more dressy line
Sinn 104

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
My only recommendation would to replace your Seiko Tuna with one of Oris Aquis limited edition that raises awareness of the importance of their causes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts