WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, I purchased a loud ticking Timex Mk 1 field watch. I think I paid about $20 for it. It is a thin 11.2MM quartz with a case diameter of 39.5MM, a 47MM lug to lug, and 20MM lug width. Lately, every time I get ready to leave the house, I go to the watch box, and I end up wearing the Timex. I'm not a huge quartz guy, so I would like a mechanical watch to replace it with.

I am looking for:
a thin case
40MM or less in stainless
Sapphire crystal
20MM lugs
47mm ish lug to lug
a swim worth depth rating (I'm willing to budge on this one)
white or silver dial
under $200 if possible ( I'm willing to budge on this one)

I don't want any obvious homage watches. I know there are a lot of offerings out there that I don't know about. I did try on a khaki field and found the lugs entirely too long. I was leaning toward a Seiko 5 but I thought I would check before I made a purchase. The watch will spend its life on one of my many NATO straps.
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light
Watch Analog watch White Light Rectangle

Watch Analog watch White Light Rectangle

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
i'm assuming you got the Timex Mk 1 quartz? i have the MK1 mechanical and it doesn't tick loud at all. I love it! i know - it's pretty much the same watch you have now but mechanical so maybe you want something different....

Reactions: I expedite

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
It's gonna be difficult to find an original design on a mechanical watch for under 200 usd. Maybe this? It's a play on a classic design, homage yes, but not a copy. Also available as a B dial or a daydate.

Or maybe this

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's gonna be difficult to find an original design on a mechanical watch for under 200 usd. Maybe this? It's a play on a classic design, homage yes, but not a copy. Also available as a B dial or a daydate.

Or maybe this

After I hit post, I thought, I should go over and look at an islander. I want to buy something from that guy anyway. I'll look over his offerings.

Reactions: jmariorebelo

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I don’t know if this fits the style you’re seeking, or if it’s too thick, but I got this one recently and it’s quite all right for $199.

39mm x 46mm x 12mm thick, 20mm lugs. 100m water resistance and screwdown crown. Sapphire crystal, steel back, and a decent OEM strap.

Pictured on my 6.5” wrist.

Good, all-night lume.

Good accuracy.

Worth checking out if you’re okay with a flieger vibe.

You did mention that you wanted 47mm lug-to-lug, but said the Khaki Field was too long. My Khaki Field Mechanical I have has a 47mm lug-to-lug, for what it’s worth. I agree it wears too long due to the “air gap” and lug design.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
A few months ago, I purchased a loud ticking Timex Mk 1 field watch. I think I paid about $20 for it. It is a thin 11.2MM quartz with a case diameter of 39.5MM, a 47MM lug to lug, and 20MM lug width. Lately, every time I get ready to leave the house, I go to the watch box, and I end up wearing the Timex. I'm not a huge quartz guy, so I would like a mechanical watch to replace it with.

I am looking for:
a thin case
40MM or less in stainless
Sapphire crystal
20MM lugs
47mm ish lug to lug
a swim worth depth rating (I'm willing to budge on this one)
white or silver dial
under $200 if possible ( I'm willing to budge on this one)

I don't want any obvious homage watches. I know there are a lot of offerings out there that I don't know about. I did try on a khaki field and found the lugs entirely too long. I was leaning toward a Seiko 5 but I thought I would check before I made a purchase. The watch will spend its life on one of my many NATO straps.
View attachment 16641479 View attachment 16641480
View attachment 16641482
Glycine combat sub. You can get one as low as 300 new or 200 used.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm assuming you got the Timex Mk 1 quartz? i have the MK1 mechanical and it doesn't tick loud at all. I love it! i know - it's pretty much the same watch you have now but mechanical so maybe you want something different....
I wouldn't mind another but I want a white dial. I have only seen dark dials on the Mk1.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t know if this fits the style you’re seeking, or if it’s too thick, but I got this one recently and it’s quite all right for $199.

39mm x 46mm x 12mm thick, 20mm lugs. 100m water resistance and screwdown crown. Sapphire crystal, steel back, and a decent OEM strap.

Pictured on my 6.5” wrist.

Good, all-night lume.

Good accuracy.

Worth checking out if you’re okay with a flieger vibe.

You did mention that you wanted 47mm lug-to-lug, but said the Khaki Field was too long. My Khaki Field Mechanical I have has a 47mm lug-to-lug, for what it’s worth. I agree it wears too long due to the “air gap” and lug design.
I don't have any issues with a flieger style watch. I would like a white dial as opposed to cream.

I didn't think about the Khaki having the same lug length as the Timex. I put the Khaki on and they struck me as being a bit long sitting on my wrist. I own another watch with even longer lugs and it didn't even register that they were long. I may not have given the Khaki a fair shake.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glycine combat sub. You can get one as low as 300 new or 200 used.
I have the market cornered on dive watches. I've had my eye on the combat sub for a while, but in this instance, I am looking for a different aesthetic. The combat 6 looks more like what I am after. Not sure how a 36mm case would look but otherwise...I like it.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Silver

Reactions: debussychopin

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't really help you, but just wanted to chime in that I have a Timex Waterbury and it's obnoxiously loud. I can't keep it near my bedside and my wife hates it with a passion haha. Definitely put me off the brand
My Timex is super loud. It sounds like the old wall clocks we had in school.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts